"Dust. Wind."
"Dude."

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

On 1/20/2019 at 6:12 AM, Corsair said:

Question for January 20, 2019

What is your dream vacation?

Anywhere as long as I'm together with my girl.

Australia and New Zealand are high on my wish list.

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 21, 2109

What historic figure would you like to meet?

Lemmy!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have been on 4 cruises but have sadly decided not to do it again, though that may change.  I love the cruise concept, but not the reality.  Frankly, If I could go on a cruise and know that it was a ship full of gamers and painters, I'd be there in a heart beat.  The problem I always seem to have is that I despise about 70% of the people who are on the cruise with me.  I'm just not into the gamble and drink until you can't stand action.  If there were a cruise where the casio was a RPG/TTG parlor and the lounges were for mini painting that would be amazing.

Of course, I see cruises for the other side.

Human beings: aka the most difficult cargo there is.

I've never worked on a cruise liner, but I have failed a job interview. This was for Holland America Line. I passed all the technical stuff, but then they put you in a room with a couple of elderly lady actors, who are dressed up as passengers. They ask you the sort of daft questions that passengers are known for and you have to answer about 30 minutes while keeping a straight face. I was in hysterics after about three questions, so no job for me!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have been on 4 cruises but have sadly decided not to do it again, though that may change.  I love the cruise concept, but not the reality.  Frankly, If I could go on a cruise and know that it was a ship full of gamers and painters, I'd be there in a heart beat.  The problem I always seem to have is that I despise about 70% of the people who are on the cruise with me.  I'm just not into the gamble and drink until you can't stand action.  If there were a cruise where the casio was a RPG/TTG parlor and the lounges were for mini painting that would be amazing.

Yeah, as I said the cruises I went on were as a child so perhaps they are slightly clouded by childhood! But a gaming / painting / d&d cruise does sound amazing! I would certainly sign up for that in a heartbeat!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

Yeah, as I said the cruises I went on were as a child so perhaps they are slightly clouded by childhood! But a gaming / painting / d&d cruise does sound amazing! I would certainly sign up for that in a heartbeat!

But what happens to the paint pots when the ship rolls?

I bring a few paints and cheap figures away with me most trips. Anything more than about Beaufort 4 and the faces start looking decidedly wonky.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I bring a few paints and cheap figures away with me most trips. Anything more than about Beaufort 4 and the faces start looking decidedly wonky.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that! Perhaps terrain only or minis without eyes at least!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Not sure about the painting, but the dice rolls during gaming could be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Uh oh...Greenstuffworld now has a textured rolling pin with Roman texture.

I'm in trouble!

This was supposed to go in Random..sorry about that..

image.png.422b4efa4afb5db7f3cf6255526f53b6.pngimage.png.c7b4327740d2e6fab0b30c4504d0e650.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, paintybeard said:

3 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

Hmm I hadn't thought of that! Perhaps terrain only or minis without eyes at least!

3 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Not sure about the painting, but the dice rolls during gaming could be interesting.

@paintybeard  I could be wrong. Never been to sea. But I thought cruise ships made it a point to stay in calm weather as much as possible, making full use of radar, satellite imagery, conference with land-based meteorologists.  Course and speed get adjusted to literally steer clear of foul weather.  Also, the ships have active roll stabilizer fins and Operate them continuously. 

But a VLCC simply plows thru what weather it has to, follows its route, keeps its course, tries to make the swiftest but most fuel efficient passage it can. Do you have active roll stabilizer fins?  Or just passive anti-roll tanks?  Am I correct thinking you would avoid seriously, seriously bad weather (hurricanes and such) but the odd squall line you’d just batten down and ride it out?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

I'm curious too, the extend of my knowledge of the sea is that it's a harsh mistress, but my oh my does it have some delicious occupants! 

...and also awesome ones like the various goby fish...  And jawfish.  Jawfish are awesome. To watch, not to eat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TGP said:

@paintybeard  I could be wrong. Never been to sea. But I thought cruise ships made it a point to stay in calm weather as much as possible, making full use of radar, satellite imagery, conference with land-based meteorologists.  Course and speed get adjusted to literally steer clear of foul weather.  Also, the ships have active roll stabilizer fins and Operate them continuously. 

But a VLCC simply plows thru what weather it has to, follows its route, keeps its course, tries to make the swiftest but most fuel efficient passage it can. Do you have active roll stabilizer fins?  Or just passive anti-roll tanks?  Am I correct thinking you would avoid seriously, seriously bad weather (hurricanes and such) but the odd squall line you’d just batten down and ride it out?

Thank you for your interest.

Yes Cruise ships do have stabilisers and they do their best to avoid the nastiest bits of weather. (4,000 people being seasick at the same time just isn't much fun.) And there is only one cure for seasickness. (Sit under a tree. ::D:)

The VLCC's I sail on can cope with most weather, but there is a big difference between when they are loaded and when they are in ballast. It takes a lot to make things uncomfortable on a loaded tanker, but when unloaded we are so high out of the water that saying is: "They roll on wet grass". We don't have stabilisers or anti-roll gear so things can get rough. The only good thing is that being so broad in the beam we take very long, slow rolls. (And yes, we are so long that the fore end can be rolling to port while the aft end is going to starboard.)

Basically even the biggest most stable ship cannot beat Mother Nature. If you really hit bad weather, head into it and do the slowest speed that will keep steerage way. I got stuck behind Hurricane Katrina in the Yucatan Channel on a 250,000 ton ship. Just sat there for 3 days, doing half speed and going nowhere, until she decided to move. Poor old New Orleans.

Plenty more tall stories where that came from!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I will avoid this question as being an inmortal, I have meet all the historic figures I have ever needed to, just not the ones who made into the history books.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/20/2019 at 8:40 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Mediterranean cruise with many other gamers/painters.  That way when the ship is at sea, we game, and in port we do the sight seeing.

Sounds like fun, but if I see a periscope, I’m launching the depth charges!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Sounds like fun, but if I see a periscope, I’m launching the depth charges!

But... What if it's Dilvish, coming back from the beer run? 

Also... Cruise liners with depth charges....  Did we get into the Fallout universe or something? :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 5