Corsair

Getting to know you: January 2019

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January

31, 2019

Gandalf, Merlin or Dumbledore?

If it's as a scheming, powerful sorcerer with well intentioned machinations that create a conflict for the characters in one of the games I run. Then the Merlin template fits.

If it's as a wise, old wizard who offers up a heroic quest and gives just enough advice/help to get the players going on a new adventure? Then definitely need a Gandalf type.

If it's just someone who can tell some crazy stories around a pint and maybe teach some advanced magic? Well, then Dumbledore fits the bill. 

But if it's my favorite wizard? Hands down Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully. I like a lot of personality and a great hat helps too. 

• Like 7

On 1/29/2019 at 9:13 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 30, 2019

Do your pets travel with you?

not usually

when he does, he serenades us with the song of his people, a mournful ballard destined to never reach the top of the charts.

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January 31, 2019

yes. 

I keep my options open.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Readers of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher will know that the most powerful wizard in the world and head of the wizard community is referred to as "the Merlin". Must be doing something right when your name becomes a title.

Can you imagine calling someone "the Gandalf" or "the Dumbledore"? That's just ridiculous.

Another point for Merlin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for January

31, 2019

The Limper

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Readers of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher will know that the most powerful wizard in the world and head of the wizard community is referred to as "the Merlin". Must be doing something right when your name becomes a title.

Can you imagine calling someone "the Gandalf" or "the Dumbledore"? That's just ridiculous.

Another point for Merlin.

You don't think that might have more to do with a work of fiction referencing proprietary characters from other unrelated works of fiction? ::P:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, VitM said:

You don't think that might have more to do with a work of fiction referencing proprietary characters from other unrelated works of fiction? ::P:

What? No... Nooo... That's just silly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Question for January

31, 2019

Gandalf. 

I love me some merlin, but he's kind of the Grimm's Fairy tales wizard. 

And Dumbledore makes me crazy that he's supposed to be so awesome and have such an amazing support system, but he never explains anything to anyone. His brand of deus ex machina just irritates me. 

• Like 5

On 1/29/2019 at 9:20 PM, Auberon said:
On 1/29/2019 at 9:13 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 30, 2019

Do your pets travel with you?

That would require a pet.

Exactly. 

Question for January

31, 2019

I have several minis that could work as Gandalf, at least one that would do for Merlin, but I guess I need a Dumbledore.

Miniature needed: Dumbledore

Most Iconic Name: Merlin 

Most Powerful: Gandalf

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VitM said:

Absolutely not, nope, no, non, nein, nu... couldn't possibly. It's clearly because Merlin wins... and because it rolls off the tongue.

Interesting note, Butcher makes several references to pop culture and other IPs in his books, several mentions of Gandalf. Even took a jab at GW in one novel... back in the days when they sued anyone for even putting a G next to a W... so I don't think he'd let that stop him. But who knows?

• Like 5

On 1/31/2019 at 3:15 PM, ManvsMini said:

Absolutely not, nope, no, non, nein, nu... couldn't possibly. It's clearly because Merlin wins... and because it rolls off the tongue.

Interesting note, Butcher makes several references to pop culture and other IPs in his books, several mentions of Gandalf. Even took a jab at GW in one novel... back in the days when they sued anyone for even putting a G next to a W... so I don't think he'd let that stop him. But who knows?

There's a book out there by another author that Dresden does NOT make a guest appearance in.

But his BARTENDER does! :lol:

Harry was out of town. ::P:

Oh, and Merlin by a mile!

Wise, mysterious, and you can never entirely TRUST him.

That's the way wizards are SUPPOSED to be!

On 1/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, Corsair said:

Question for January 29, 2019

Gloves or mittens?

Mittens, fingers warm and together. ::D:

Grump wears hitman gloves. <_< Leather, with a zipper up the side.

• Like 5