Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Cranky Old Man

36 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I have like... 20.  Most of them are for their cover art.  I have 10-ish framed and sitting in my office at work.  The prize of my collection is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds, bought last year since they actually reprinted the vinyl.  (I had wanted my father's copy but he apparently got rid of his records when he last moved.)

I don't own a record player.  CDs were a reasonable music distribution method by the time I started buying music for myself and I'm not convinced I would notice any positive qualities of vinyl over CD (or modern digital download, e.g. iTunes), assuming there are any.

The resurgence of vinyl is part of the rediscovery of the warmer sound of vacuum tube based amplifier systems.

Truthfully, unless you are a fanatic about disc care for your vinyl collection CD quality sound is better in most cases.

With vinyl you get pops and clicks from dust in the grooves, which can be removed but takes extra time and effort, and the sound will degrade over time if the disc is played more frequently than once a day as the vinyl doesn't have time to fully recover from the pressure of the needle on the grooves.

But there is something inherently satisfying about positioning the tone arm over the start of a track and gently lowering the needle into the lead in groove.

GEM

• Like 5

I use vinyl because of two reasons... 

A) I grew up with it, so sentimental value is attached to a few of the ones I own, and

B) 12" platters feel more natural to manipulate for how I mix.  There are some tricks that, to me, feel inherently easier to pull off. 

Arguably there is a c) it's all they allowed at turntablism battles for aeons, but since I gave up on that goal ages ago it doesn't count :p DMC Championships is what I was thinking.  Years ago I thought it would be hilarious to make it to nationals with either a gabber, hardstyle, or DnB routine, but didn't have the (reliable) gear, and didn't want to risk my records.  By the time I had the gear, and records I was willing to risk, I'd lost interest in turntablism, and those interests had shifted heavily towards live PA.

Oh right. 

D)because the platters move!!!!! (that's my biggest complaint about Pioneer CDJ's, aside from the price, and Denon's offerings are good, but not always). 

For listening?  I'll take FLAC files.  Portable, easily decoded by almost all software, and you get high quality files. I've tried, for fun, just lifting the records I would go through in a two hour set.  Yeah, that's heavy.  Imagine having to lug that weight around after a long night... No thanks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I have like... 20.  Most of them are for their cover art.  I have 10-ish framed and sitting in my office at work.  The prize of my collection is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds, bought last year since they actually reprinted the vinyl.  (I had wanted my father's copy but he apparently got rid of his records when he last moved.)

I don't own a record player.  CDs were a reasonable music distribution method by the time I started buying music for myself and I'm not convinced I would notice any positive qualities of vinyl over CD (or modern digital download, e.g. iTunes), assuming there are any.

To these mortal ears the only difference is noise dust makes as the needle passes over the disc. To the ears of Daft Punk it might be different though. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

To these mortal ears the only difference is noise dust makes as the needle passes over the disc. To the ears of Daft Punk it might be different though. :rolleyes:

Daft Punk has the coin and knowledge to be able to own what is probably the world's largest Modcan A setup (Deadmau5 owns the largest Modcan B - what's the difference?  A has black panels, and uses banana jacks to connect stuff, B has creamy white panels and uses standard 1/4" Switchcraft 112A sockets.  Same modules otherwise)... 

Which reminds me, I wonder how Bruce is doing... *checks* well, that's at least better news than two years ago! (Bruce is the owner of Modcan synthesizers)

...but that's totally not on topic at all ^_^;;;

• Like 3

On 1/9/2019 at 1:20 AM, Darsc Zacal said:

Whoa. You really are a cranky old man.

:devil:

:;):

Ever been assaulted by a mob, Darsc?

I have.

Bad thing about it? The mob does not listen to you. And THEY decide when it stops being funny... not you. And you'd be amazed at how long a group of people can find amusement in kicking you around.

And for the rest of your life, you will feel very differently about crowds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

38 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Ever been assaulted by a mob, Darsc?

I have.

Bad thing about it? The mob does not listen to you. And THEY decide when it stops being funny... not you. And you'd be amazed at how long a group of people can find amusement in kicking you around.

And for the rest of your life, you will feel very differently about crowds.

I'm with you doc.  Mobs are tricky and dangerous.  its also real easy for something like that to escalate out of control.  I think this is a really bad idea.

• Like 7

Hell, even my CAT wanders in front of me and then stops cold. And then looks hurt when I accidentally kick him.

Is that the secret? Do I need to start kicking people?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Hell, even my CAT wanders in front of me and then stops cold. And then looks hurt when I accidentally kick him.

Well, it's hard on the shoes but it can be pretty cathartic.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

One of my cats does this absolutely all the time, I can barley move for kicking the poor guy- he just loves to be underfoot! I used to feel bad about this but now it’s just more of an inconvenience! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Well, it's hard on the shoes but it can be pretty cathartic.

If I thought they'd fit, I'd loan you my Docs; boot overkill for my purposes, but they're nice and solid.

Mind you, normally, I go out of my way to avoid kicking people while wearing them; steel caps in the toes, and all... but being surrounded by people who think they're funny would definitely call for an exception to be made. :/

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Oh, both my cats do that too, especially the older cat. He'll walk in front of us, slowly, then get offended when we give him a shove. The girl cat used to do this thing with my hubby where she'd stop cold, crouched down, and when he tried to step over her, run to where his foot was going, then, when he'd reverse she'd dart to where his foot was going again! Hubby wrenched his knee a couple times because of that. She stopped after he actually stepped on her pretty hard. 

But yes, kicking is the answer.

• Like 3

@Dr.Bedlam I have been to several concerts and events. Crowds can be annoying, but I ( fortunately) haven't experienced a crowd turning against me.

I avoid soccer matches, btw, different crowd, more prone to violence.

Care to share what happened to you?

I should think something as Reapercon should be pretty safe.

• Like 4

Some of us just don't like crowds. I go to SALUTE nearly every year, it's the highlight of my gaming year. Nevertheless after a couple of hours of being forced top rub shoulders with a thousand (perfectly friendly) strangers I find I need to leave the building and find some space I can breathe in before re-entering the fray.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Some of us just don't like crowds. I go to SALUTE nearly every year, it's the highlight of my gaming year. Nevertheless after a couple of hours of being forced top rub shoulders with a thousand (perfectly friendly) strangers I find I need to leave the building and find some space I can breathe in before re-entering the fray.

I can agree on that.

After such events I'm always tired and I do not like large crowds either.

But I do attend things I really like.

I just wondered if Dr. Bedlam meant something like that, or that he was really bullied or something.

• Like 2

For kicking annoying people I would recommend cleats.

For clearing a path a TAZER could be just the ticket, zap the first one, the rest will probably get the idea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3