Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Swamp/Marsh mummy

Anyone got anything for a mummy in a Swamp or Marsh setting? I don't need a mini but more or less a backstory or even what it might look like. It'll be a random encounter.

thanks!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone got anything for a mummy in a Swamp or Marsh setting? I don't need a mini but more or less a backstory or even what it might look like. It'll be a random encounter.

thanks!

Bog Mummies exist.

A lot of them suffered a violent death.

Look on Wikipedia for how it looks.

So maybe a little story about one of those who seek revenge on their murderer?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

Start with a zombie or ghoul miniature, going for peat brown colors, not rotting flesh.

Any armor, paint a metallic green, then highlight to bronze. Or an Iron Oxide brown, with a red orange wash and a brown in wash, highlighting with a burnt metal color.

Weapons, start with an Iron Oxide brown, wash with a red orange, and highlight with a dark metal.

20019_p_1.jpg

20019: Zombie

Might be a good start if you don't want weapons or armor.

14427.jpg

14427: Burrowing Zombie

If you want armor and weapons.

*EDIT* For a bog mummy, you may want to add a twist of rope/leather ties around the throat - most were strangled before being placed in the bogs.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4

Others have already touched on the bog/peat (European) mummy. Which is a fun idea.

Just to throw an alternative out there, there are Mesoamerican mummies, too, usually found in dry caves (one famous one well preserved in a sitting position), which were thought to be sacrifices of a kind and have a spooky element all their own. With a little work you could transport one to a jungle swamp setting, where the swamp has encroached on the mummy's resting place.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 5

I'm stealing all the ideas! I mean, I appreciate the inspiration for new and wholly original things that are totally not stolen from you guys at all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like the bog mummy idea. Again, it's just a random encounter but having a reason why the mummy attacks the party (well besides the party being alive & juicy..........). With the area saturated with leftover magic due to a battle of gods & such, it'll be easy to explain why/how the mummy is even there.

I had a mummy figure picked out but I do like the Warlord one as well. I need filler for a month's order anyways, so thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Start with a zombie or ghoul miniature, going for peat brown colors, not rotting flesh.

Any armor, paint a metallic green, then highlight to bronze. Or an Iron Oxide brown, with a red orange wash and a brown in wash, highlighting with a burnt metal color.

Weapons, start with an Iron Oxide brown, wash with a red orange, and highlight with a dark metal.

20019_p_1.jpg

20019: Zombie

Might be a good start if you don't want weapons or armor.

The Auld Grump

1024px-Moorleiche3-Schloss-Gottorf.jpg

Commander-pirx at de.wikipedia - Own work

bog body of the Man of Rendswühren shown at Gottorf Castle, Schleswig (Germany)

Found the bog body I was remembering. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Not your usual source for minis, but Heroclix has some really good-looking Swamp-thing minis that could serve you well.

• Like 3

I thought I watched a documentary on various forms of mummification on Netflix, but I don't see it now.

Reaper has some Bog Skeletons in the store in metal--Coming SoonTM in Bones.

As for a story, well, there are any number of options.  There's been some speculation that at least some of the peat bog mummies were not necessarily unwilling, Tollund Man, for instance.  He's one of the best looking ones.  From some of the pictures, you could almost expect him to yawn, stretch, and open his eyes.  So you could go for the obvious revenant looking to avenge his/her untimely end, or perhaps it's driven to deliver some message (timely or not) or goods, or otherwise complete a task.  There's a possibility that after a few decades in a bog, that it's desperate for news of the world and will happily converse with the party if given the chance--perhaps there's a divine message it has to deliver, or knowledge of a valuable item lost to history.

Smithsonian Article

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about a man who struck a deal with the Gods?

His lovely wife was with child and got very ill.

He feared for the lives of his wife and unborn child.

So he struck a deal, he would willingly sacrifice himself, drowning in the bog if the Gods would save his wife and child.

It has been a few decades.

The Bog Mummy wants to know if his child is still alive and how it is doing?

The Party could be sent on a quest to find the child ( and maybe the wife) and bring the news back to father mummy.

He could give them a reward like some gold trinkets that were buried in the bog?

• Like 3

For my adventure, the mummy is just a random marsh encounter but I like the ideas. 

The area is saturated with magic plus the presence of a orb of undeath in the area doesn't help either. 

The party is making it way from the small tent town to a clearing. The clearing will have the undead treat, a few zombies, ogre zombies & the orb itself. 

What will be nice, is the mummy will look like one of the zombies. So imagine the look on the players when instead of zombie damage, I start asking for mummy damage saves. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If there's an Orb of Undeath involved, the bog mummy could have been a druid who was willingly sacrificed in a previous attempt by long-since-vanished locals to shut down the Orb.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

There are stats for a Bog Mummy in Tome of Horrors Complete, by Frog God.

The Auld Grump

I need 5e stats but I'll take a look. 

5 hours ago, haldir said:

I need 5e stats but I'll take a look. 

They released a 5e Tome of Horrors last year - giant book of monsters.

Unlike the Pathfinder edition, the 5e version is in full color.

$55 plus postage from Frog God, $75 plus postage from Amazon.

Getting it from Frog God also gets you the PDF as part of the price. $30 for the PDF alone.

The Auld Grump