Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Commissions question

Hi all you wise folk both with miniatures and technology!

So with a potential commission from abroad (or also domestic I guess) is Paypal a safe way to receive commissions?  There isn't any risk of hacking by when you provide a Paypal account is there?  

Thanks!

• Like 2

There's always a risk, but PayPal is considered fairly safe as things go.  You'd have to dig into their international protections and be sure to check for fees related to that as well.  I assume they add surcharges when you start charging abroad.

• Like 3

Paypal is generally considered safe and I've never had a problem with it, I have used it to send and recieve payments, both through ebay and independently, but be aware that paypal is notoriously imitated in "phishing" emails, I get daily emails claiming to be from paypal that are NOT and these are malicious- so if you're going to use paypal on a regular basis make sure you're using it in a secure way and not clicking on e-mails from those pretending to be paypal- sometimes they'll say things like "Your account has been disabled" or "Your cash withdrawal was successful" to try and make you panic click them- just be careful.

• Like 4

I use Paypal a lot.

It's pretty safe.

Just make sure that if you ever receive an email claiming a transaction or warning you find suspicious, NOT to click on anything in that mail.

Just get out.

Log in on your Paypal Account as usual and you will see that transaction is not there.

The real Paypal will also always address you by your name you provided.

Not your handle or "dear user" ...

You can also forward such mails to Paypal and they will confirm it's Spoof and even try to stop that particular spammer.

The same goes for Ebay.

• Like 5

Here is the situation, I have a potential customer in Asia who would like me to paint for them, and would like to pay via PayPal. I just want to make sure that that is generally safe.  Sorry for the ignorance in general, I very rarely have used PayPal and never internationally. I don't want to tell somebody to send me money to my account and just find out that instead of putting it in there, they have completely emptied my account out.

• Like 2

I also have a small separate bank account for my Paypal. No links to any other of my regular accounts, that way if it ever does get hacked, I am only out a small amount, an inconvenience, not a disaster.

• Like 4

I live in Canada and commissioned a drawing this past summer from someone in the US. He wanted to use paypal so i created an account and sent the money, no issues on either end.  

• Like 3

If you're using paypal in the intended way and not clicking any dodgey e-mails it's very unlikely you could get hacked and lose your money in this way, the more common "scam" on paypal would be, you sell something, they pay, you post the item and then they do a "charge back" via paypal- essentially pretending that they never received the item and claiming a refund through paypal. You can help head this off by making sure to retain proof of postage etc here's some more information about what chargebacks are and how to avoid them https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/chargebacks

• Like 3

The only real issue is if the buyer claims not to have received the goods. PayPal has a history of siding with the buyer, and return his money without giving you a chance to prove otherwise.   

(Never send anything unregistered, and never leave anything in your PayPal account )

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

If you're using paypal in the intended way and not clicking any dodgey e-mails it's very unlikely you could get hacked and lose your money in this way, the more common "scam" on paypal would be, you sell something, they pay, you post the item and then they do a "charge back" via paypal- essentially pretending that they never received the item and claiming a refund through paypal. You can help head this off by making sure to retain proof of postage etc here's some more information about what chargebacks are and how to avoid them https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/chargebacks

Also, when you ship the package... Ship it with a tracking number, and update the PayPal payment thingy with the info for such.  Better yet, send them an invoice for the commission, as those are usually easier to add tracking info to (since people don't always choose the correct shipping options when sending a payment). 

You will also want to factor in that PayPal will take about 3% or so of whatever is sent, so you'll want that factored into your pricing. 

Additionally, try to avoid the use of "friends and family" payments, as most of the buyer (and seller) protections DO NOT exist with this. 

• Like 2

The biggest problem with using PayPal are the people sending you money, that know the ins and outs and how to scam others out of their money. If you're taking PayPal payments for something like a commission, I always:

1) have the buyer send the payment as "Goods and Services", not as "Friends and Family". While there are fees associated with G&S payments that PayPal will take out of your payment, they are fairly minimal IMO. This also protects the buyer, as PayPal will get their money back if you fail to provide the goods as promised (not saying you will do that, just saying). Also, with F&F payments, people will contact PayPal and claim the payments were made by an unauthorized party and get their money returned to them. Since the payment was not sent for any type of goods, you can't provide a tracking number to protect yourself.

2) make sure you read and understand the terms of the seller protection. Any shipments you send, you should get a tracking number, even if the buyers wants them shipped the cheapest possible way. Without tracking, you can't prove that the items were received by the buyer and they can get a refund. Any transactions over $750 will REQUIRE a signature for you to be protected as well. If I sell/ship anything over $100, I purchase insurance and require a signature, but that's just me.

3) make sure the buyer's shipping address is correct on their account , and make sure to ship it ONLY to that address that PayPal provides. If you alter the address in any way, the buyer can claim non-receipt and get their money back.

4) get 100% of the payment up front. If the buyer splits the payment, you will need to provide a different tracking number for EACH payment made. PayPal will not accept a tracking number for multiple transactions.

• Like 2