Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Brush licking has been around a long time

21 minutes ago, Pingo said:

No, I wouldn't put any art supply near my mouth.

Unless you're an artistic cake decorator. Nom nom nom nom nom. :poke:

• Haha 7

I've never understood the habit -Even the thought of licking a brush makes me feel squiffy :blink: 

Mind you, I've accidentally taken a swig of water from the rinsing cup on a few occasions. This is why it isn't a cup anymore, it was too easy to mix up with my tea :down:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@Pingo is our forum mom, she hasn't to try to protect us from ourselves. :rolleyes: :lol:

I've never been tempted to lick brushes, mostly because of the way the paint smelled. Like rotten eggs.

Reminds me of some of the old bolster shell Citadel Paint Pots.  Wow, those had a... Strong smell.  Especially Chaos Black, and the other blacks.  Mithril Silver was fairly potent too.. 

24 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I've never understood the habit -Even the thought of licking a brush makes me feel squiffy :blink: 

Mind you, I've accidentally taken a swig of water from the rinsing cup on a few occasions. This is why it isn't a cup anymore, it was too easy to mix up with my tea :down:

I've yet to mix up my paint cup and water, but  I suspect that's because my water cup is a mason jar that doesn't have a succubus on it... 

• Haha 3

I think I tried twirling the brush in my lips once, and it didn't feel right. Paper towel or thumb for me! 

Granted, I also get my hands filthy and forget to wash my hands before eating - geology habit - but eh, I'm not in a toxic mine. This time. My current rocks might cause an upset stomach due to lots of fluorine. As in, playing in crushed up white rock bits made my stirling silver ring turn black with tarnish - there is a LOT of fluorine. 

And another art thing to worry about: mussels. Darn bottom feeders and their heavy metals (this sort of feature of shell critters is used in bio-geo studies to track earth and ocean processes!). https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-46842671/how-a-sculptor-s-artwork-slowly-poisoned-her 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

And another art thing to worry about: mussels. Darn bottom feeders and their heavy metals (this sort of feature of shell critters is used in bio-geo studies to track earth and ocean processes!). https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-46842671/how-a-sculptor-s-artwork-slowly-poisoned-her 

Ye gods.

• Like 3

Gloves = good. Mussels = evil. 

I wonder if those wretched Zebra Mussels do that. 

• Like 2

Another example of how "Natural" does not equal "Non-Toxic" or "Healthful".  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

A good cautionary tale about about using safety gear, especially when powdering/using powdered substances.

• Like 5

Different generations different views.  Through time brush licking has been a usual method of straightening a brush, even in extremely. Hazardous situations (phossie girls and radium girls in the last hundred years)  the key issue is it works really well.  

I've don't my best to break the habit, using icky tasting paints helps (reaper and Vallejo taste pretty good, scale 75 and Andrea test horrible!) But it's not an easy habit to break because it works.

In the article though, I think the actual issue is a little more extreme: one of older methods of pigment grinding was to chew on the softer pigments and spit it in the holder to mix with the fixitive (keep that in mind if you have primitive artwork in your house ::D:)  quite a number of native tribes used thus for war paint as well.

• Like 5

On 1/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, Cyradis said:

Pretty cool that there may have been lady weasel lickers in a monastery.

You win the internet.

Someone needs to illustrate this.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

You win the internet.

Someone needs to illustrate this.

Not like that Froggy! Naughty Froggy!!

• Haha 3