Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Brush licking has been around a long time

At least the blue wasn't azurite. That would have been a lot worse. 

I have to admit, I'm skeptical. Why? That's a big chunk to be pigment. If they'd found only microscopic traces, I'd believe it more. Tiny bits of pigment working their way under the gums? Sure. A hunk like that makes me think of a rock chewer more than a weasel licker. 

So... I took a peek at the academic article, which doesn't include the picture in the news article. It is however more convincing, and gives appropriate size ranges for pigments. Lots of juicy details there (and uses instruments I'm familiar with - woot woot). 

Upon searching the academic article, the photo in the news article seems to be somewhat unrelated. The remains are in a university in Zurich, not an institute in Jena (which is where the picture in the news article is from). News article is misleading, but has a link to the fun one. 

NEVERMIND on potential bad minearls to inhale - academic article has azurite and malachite in there, mixed with the lapis. Sure hope this woman wasn't breathing those. You do not want to breath in copper carbonates. Lick? Not the best, but better than breathing (could happen in pigment preparation).

Pretty cool that there may have been lady weasel lickers in a monastery. Thank you for the morning fun read ::D:

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 6

Not much of a brush licker - but then some of my older Chessex paint has warning labels, in fine print, that wrap around the paint pot and completely cover the label. (Like most people, Megan went and washed her hands after getting to the bit about 'blood and protein in the urine'.... Danged proud of that paint. ::P:)

The Auld Grump - 'contains chemicals known to the State of California'....

• Haha 4

I used to lick brushes when I did watercolors as a kid. Grandma caught me and told me stories about the Radium Girls. I swear, I was being punished. Worked though, I still won't lick brushes.

• Like 7

I've never tried licking a brush, don't see the point. 

Now, holding the handle between my teeth so I can use a paw to grab something else?  Yes, like a dog holding a stick and bringing it to you?  Yeah, just like that. 

I do that all the time. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't put the end of my brush in my mouth either. I use the end of my brush to stir paint on my wet palette to avoid shoving paint into the ferrule. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I wouldn't put the end of my brush in my mouth either. I use the end of my brush to stir paint on my wet palette to avoid shoving paint into the ferrule. 

I've done that a few times.  Trick is to not get the end to touch the inside of your mouth...  Much easier to just grasp the middle of the brush between your teeth though, as you keep a better grip on the brush. ^_^;;;;

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I've never tried licking a brush, don't see the point. 

Now, holding the handle between my teeth so I can use a paw to grab something else?  Yes, like a dog holding a stick and bringing it to you?  Yeah, just like that. 

I do that all the time. 

I do that too, but only with brushes where the handle paint hasn't been damaged by brush cleaner. I'd much prefer my brushes had smooth, unpainted/unvarnished handles, but those don't seem to exist. 

And I have a special brush for stirring paint. It's an ancient, sad little brush, with hardly any bristles left. Certainly no good for anything except stirring. Poor thing, at least it hasn't been throw away yet.

• Like 5

Switching to traditional art, I get why Pingo gets the way she does when the topic comes up. Without hard pigment data, you don't know what is going into your mouth.

Don't do it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Switching to traditional art, I get why Pingo gets the way she does when the topic comes up. Without hard pigment data, you don't know what is going into your mouth.

Don't do it.

@Pingo is our forum mom, she hasn't to try to protect us from ourselves. :rolleyes: :lol:

I've never been tempted to lick brushes, mostly because of the way the paint smelled. Like rotten eggs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't put any art supply near my mouth.

There is no legal definition of "non-toxic."

What there is is a legal definition of "toxic," which basically means a chemical or physical substance which has been tested and found to cause harm, either immediate or long-term, to living organisms.

"Non-toxic" is a catchall term that includes everything else, including everything not tested.

All the term "non-toxic" means is that none of the tested and proven "toxic" substances have been included.

And the pace of testing is abysmally slow. Fewer than 300 out of more than 80,000 substances currently in use -- or less than 0.0375% -- have actually been tested in the last forty years.

One last thing to remember. When the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) of 1976 was passed in the US, all chemicals already in use were "grandfathered" in and presumed non-toxic.

No, I wouldn't put any art supply near my mouth.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1