lexomatic

Gurps 4e lite Portal Horror "The Blacklands" PBP recruitment & discussion

Ive got a couple of more points to spend.  What is consided to be a "good" skill level?  12? 14?  Trying to decide if its better to specialize in a few skill or be ok in a bunch?

44 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

What is consided to be a "good" skill level?  12? 14?  Trying to decide if its better to specialize in a few skill or be ok in a bunch?

12/13 is competent professional depending how hard the skill. Serious experts boost the skill to handle penalties, or increase related skills etc. The other question is preference, but for mechanics min/max, look and see if any of the skills you're considering have a default to a skill you already have.

Edited by lexomatic

If you go by GURPS 4th Basic, normal folks would have 20-40 points spread across a dozen skills. Imo that's not a bad place to start, though I think the dozen might be a bit conservative.  

As an example, a present-day Astronomy grad student would almost certainly have actual point ranks in Astronomy, Mathematics, Physics, Research, Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Electronics Operation, and hopefully Writing (so his papers aren't too much of a chore to read even for colleagues) as their professional core. That's 7-8 skills just for that, without any additional skills in related fields, hobbies, interests, things he might have experience with from working them as a student job, and for the average rural American/Canadian, presumably at least one point in Driving (Car).

Also, a 100-point character is supposed to be somewhat exceptional. Unlike your normal grad student, this character might have some extra, and potentially more 'adventure useful' skills. Like, say, maybe that astronomer got his BSc on an athletics scholarship and is a wrestling collegiate champion. Or, more stereotypically, maybe he uses those l33t Computer Hacking skills to play @CyberRobinHood.

Skill level wise, for things the character is meant to be professionally skilled in, and that they could make a living with, the GURPS Basic set suggests a 12+ ideally. A 100-point character, being exceptional, should probably be an actual expert at at least one or two things, which would mean a 14+.

Of course, all that's just rough guidelines. My character will have about two dozen skills, because she essentially changed career path twice. Needless to say, she never actually got beyond 1 point in most of them...

I hope this helps a bit. If not, just ignore it. ;)

• Like 2

ok forgive the stupid questions, I am assuming that a template gives you certain skills already. so taking the Retired Soldier as an example. I take that template for 65 points, the rest of the 100 is for me to customize my character as I see fit, boosting attributes/ skills, taking advantages. Taking any disadvantages give me extra point to spend as well. so say I take a fear of heights, curious and a code of honor (pirate){ From the lite rules} would give me an extra 20 points for more skills and such. Is my assumption correct? 

Colonel Kane, you're pretty much correct.

The one thing you might overlook is that there's an overall limit of -50 points in disadvantages. The disadvantages that come with profession templates do count against that limit, so you need to make sure that between those and your personal picks, you don't go over limit.

I don't know how many points of disadvantages the Retired Soldier has, but I doubt it's more than 15 or 20, so I presume taking another 20 wouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arkady said:

The one thing you might overlook is that there's an overall limit of -50 points in disadvantages. The disadvantages that come with profession templates do count against that limit, so you need to make sure that between those and your personal picks, you don't go over limit.

I don't know how many points of disadvantages the Retired Soldier has, but I doubt it's more than 15 or 20, so I presume taking another 20 wouldn't be an issue.

Thank you Arkady for the response. I have not seen the Template either. I only have the lite rules and was curious. I am still on the fence. I hate to buy a book, even a digital, for a game I do not play and may never play. I find this frustrating as I can not explain my feelings correctly to this so I will end this post. 

6 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Thank you Arkady for the response. I have not seen the Template either. I only have the lite rules and was curious. I am still on the fence. I hate to buy a book, even a digital, for a game I do not play and may never play. I find this frustrating as I can not explain my feelings correctly to this so I will end this post. 

I understand your feelings, mine mirror them. I went ahead and bid on the ebay lot figuring I have spent $40 on a bad dinner before. Plus, I made sure my bid was low enough that I can resell the book and get most of my money back if I don't like the game itself. If I lose a little, if I went bowling, I wouldn't get that money back. 

14 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I understand your feelings, mine mirror them. I went ahead and bid on the ebay lot figuring I have spent $40 on a bad dinner before. Plus, I made sure my bid was low enough that I can resell the book and get most of my money back if I don't like the game itself. If I lose a little, if I went bowling, I wouldn't get that money back. 

This is why I have been providing templates for people who've asked. So they can go beyond "lite" without buying just to play.

34 minutes ago, Arkady said:

While Arkady is correct, people do not need to take skills, advantages, and disadvantages according to template. Templates are there for common examples to guide people unfamiliar with that career/the gurps system. And yes, people can use up to 100 points + disadvantages and quirks. That technically works out to 155 max to start. Any points leftover from a template (65 out of 100 from example above) leaves 35 points. If the template has disadvantages (which they tend to) then those use up part of the 50 maxim allowed. Quirks (there's an advantage equivalent too) allow for lesser (non mechanical) versions of disadvantages. Mostly useful for roleplay.

Please note, I've only mentioned this to Arkady in discussion about their character... but disadvantages etc, can be bought off with XP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

This is why I have been providing templates for people who've asked. So they can go beyond "lite" without buying just to play.

While Arkady is correct, people do not need to take skills, advantages, and disadvantages according to template. Templates are there for common examples to guide people unfamiliar with that career/the gurps system. And yes, people can use up to 100 points + disadvantages and quirks. That technically works out to 155 max to start. Any points leftover from a template (65 out of 100 from example above) leaves 35 points. If the template has disadvantages (which they tend to) then those use up part of the 50 maxim allowed. Quirks (there's an advantage equivalent too) allow for lesser (non mechanical) versions of disadvantages. Mostly useful for roleplay.

Please note, I've only mentioned this to Arkady in discussion about their character... but disadvantages etc, can be bought off with XP.

Thank you lexomatic for your reply. I have been trying to create a character from scratch, just so I can understand what is going on. I am slightly struggling.

I have come up with another question, this one is concerning Skills. If I understand this chart, if I take a skill let us assume Pistol DX/E at attribute+0 then it is going to cost 11 if the DX is 10. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Kane said:

Thank you lexomatic for your reply. I have been trying to create a character from scratch, just so I can understand what is going on. I am slightly struggling.

I have come up with another question, this one is concerning Skills. If I understand this chart, if I take a skill let us assume Pistol DX/E at attribute+0 then it is going to cost 11 if the DX is 10. 

No. The cost of a skill depends on how complex it is. That also depends what the opening skill would be (stat-x, say hard is stat-4, for ex\ample). So when you pout 1 point into the skill, you get 10-4=6. To get it to the next level, you'd double the points. so 10-3 would be +1 points, and 10-2 would be +2points (4 total) etc. Pistol skill at DX +2 costs 4 points regardless of what the stat is. (so if your starting DX was 6, a skill of 8 would cost the same as a skill of 12 for someone with 10 DX)

Note that was just an example, without having the rules in front of me, just to give you an idea of the principles behind it.

I stumbled across this, some might find helpful. https://vonexplaino.com/code/gurps/

Any skill showing  the "default" (your ability to perform a skill without training). some skills cannot be performed without knowing (no default). If you select somethign from the dropdown menu, it shows how the levels change, and how many points that level of ability costs.

ex humanities defaults to -6 (no skill). 1 point =stat-2 2point =stat-1 4 points = stat+0 etc.

It looks like it will auto-calculate stuff for you, and allow you to set your point limits (it defaulted to 300, so please remember to set to 100). There's also step by step by clicking on top of the page. This looks REALLY good for 4th edition Note there migth be SOME mistakes, but good start.

tech level is 8

Also this free pdf condensing skills info should be useful

This makes finding skills much faster, as 4th edition has over two hundred skills, and it's easier to look through Skill Categories' 8 pages then Characters' 55 pages. The main downside to this aid is it does not have the defaults that appear in Characters' totally alphabetical Skill Trait list on pages 301-304.

The PDF lists the skills name, whether it requires a specialization or Tech Level, what Attribute it's based off of, it's difficulty, and which page in GURPS Characters it appears on.

I`ve also updated the intro post with all the info in this post

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 1

Thank you lexomatic, that was helpful between what you told me and the other resources. I feel like I have a better understanding of the skills. Some days I am more of an idiot than not. 

Never blame yourself when you could blame GURPS. Using everything, that system is confusing as all hells, which is presumably why lexomatic suggested running with Lite rules.

• Like 2