lexomatic

Gurps 4e lite Portal Horror "The Blacklands" PBP recruitment & discussion

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Here is my first drafthttps://docs.google.com/document/d/12QFO14yp6JSM--_gf-rGP545Esf1IdZMYDenacHhbvM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Any ideas on a list of equipment?  Haven't seen much on wiki (then again, work comper makes it hard to navigate).

Dilvish, I have no ideas on equipment, but thank you for post this. It is helping me make a character. 

• Like 1

As an experienced hiker, he would have a good knife [less than 4" blade] or Leatherman type tool. He could also have applied for a permit for a protection gun under Canadian law. Handgun with minimum of 4" barrel, shotgun or bolt action rifle. This permit is only good for 60 days at a time. Good lightweight binoculars, disposable lighter and an aluminum canteen with cup spring to mind. Sounds like a nice guy.

• Like 3

I went with the techie theme.  Added in just a bit of combat stuff so I'm not  totally useless.

Basically I came up with role (tech) and a backstory (girlfriend lost, into climbing and parkour) and then foumd disadvantages, advantages and skills to match.

8 minutes ago, Corsair said:

As an experienced hiker, he would have a good knife [less than 4" blade] or Leatherman type tool. He could also have applied for a permit for a protection gun under Canadian law. Handgun with minimum of 4" barrel, shotgun or bolt action rifle. This permit is only good for 60 days at a time. Good lightweight binoculars, disposable lighter and an aluminum canteen with cup spring to mind. Sounds like a nice guy.

Oh, I can come up with all sorts of equipment.  I just don't see a list or prices in the rules.

• Like 3

I need one more quirk. ANY ideas?  I have pays cash, (Thanks Dilvish) distrust strangers, and hates drugs and alcohol. 

GOT one, Hates being cold. 

Edited by Colonel Kane
note

Just now, Colonel Kane said:

I need one more quirk

You don't need 5 quirks to start.

A reasonable GM will let you add a quirk or two after play starts, when you have ideas that fit the character and what they've been doing so far. I rather think lexomatic would allow that, and you could probably then raise a go-to 1-point skill to 2 to "offset" the new quirk..

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I went with the techie theme.  Added in just a bit of combat stuff so I'm not  totally useless.

Technically, you're a bit above not totally useless for combat. I would know, because, yeah... no spoilers just yet. 

Based purely on theme, I myself would probably have gone DX 11, IQ 13 building that character; more actual nerd than actual viking. He's are-enactor; as someone with more dexterity than a brick, he was probably busy keeping the rest of the lot from hurting themselves (I knew LARPers in my day), not learning how to actually throw a punch or swing a sword for combat effect. Technically, the more appropriate GURPS skill would probably be Stage Combat.

That said, I totally encourage you to keep the character as is, because I'm not the GM and my ex-bouncer barista agent can barely fight her way out of a paper bag. :poke:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Technically, you're a bit above not totally useless for combat. I would know, because, yeah... no spoilers just yet. 

Based purely on theme, I myself would probably have gone DX 11, IQ 13 building that character; more actual nerd than actual viking. He's are-enactor; as someone with more dexterity than a brick, he was probably busy keeping the rest of the lot from hurting themselves (I knew LARPers in my day), not learning how to actually throw a punch or swing a sword for combat effect. Technically, the more appropriate GURPS skill would probably be Stage Combat.

That said, I totally encourage you to keep the character as is, because I'm not the GM and my ex-bouncer barista agent can barely fight her way out of a paper bag. :poke:

Stage Combat, and also skills like the sport version of a proficiency in a weapon. It gets complex. Your character works if you like it, so does Arkady's interpretation.

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

This is good useful info. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

You don't need 5 quirks to start.

A reasonable GM will let you add a quirk or two after play starts, when you have ideas that fit the character and what they've been doing so far. I rather think lexomatic would allow that, and you could probably then raise a go-to 1-point skill to 2 to "offset" the new quirk..

I haven't figured out the timeframe for pbp, but typically when I played it was 1 xp per session. I'll play it by ear, but these types of things can be adjusted quickly. Also, quirks are considered "negative." They're great for roleplay, but have no mechanical effect (and are often lesser versions of the big disadvantages).

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Basically I came up with role (tech) and a backstory (girlfriend lost, into climbing and parkour) and then foumd disadvantages, advantages and skills to match.

Oh, I can come up with all sorts of equipment.  I just don't see a list or prices in the rules.

My only suggestion is that the reason you're on the PATH is that you've been trying to get meetings with potential investors. It's mostly office towers and malls that are connected, with small retail (some high end) and food courts. There wouldn't really be components available there. Used to be near Chinatown there was all kindsa components and computer stores, but rent drove them elsewhere.

• Like 1

I like him Colonel! I will try to get Sam Travis, my character filled out and up today. I have been struggling with him.

32 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Here is my character, please check it over. The on line generator said I spend all my points, but I am unsure, I thought I had about 8 or so left, but heck I could even have to lose points. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qHisw9c7vSBtf-6ApChgEl6iNFPm_G6sDlhYPAp-kaw/edit?usp=sharing

I will check when on home.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Here is my character, please check it over. The on line generator said I spend all my points, but I am unsure, I thought I had about 8 or so left, but heck I could even have to lose points. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qHisw9c7vSBtf-6ApChgEl6iNFPm_G6sDlhYPAp-kaw/edit?usp=sharing

I'd really need to see points spent to be sure here. What GURPS Lite fails to mention is that Guns skills default to one another at -2, so by Basic rules, if you spent points on rifle, shotgun and SMG (at first glance, not sure), you'd get those back.

Using that rule, Raoul only actually has 6 trained skills, which is basically a one trick pony military action man guy in GURPS. So if you do have points left over and/or get points back from all those guns, consider getting some supplementary skills (e.g. Climbing, Running, Swimming) and an interests/hobby or two. Those tend to add depth, like former high school slugger in Sports (Baseball), being good at Gambling because of all those poker nights with Hawkeye and BJ, or a dirty little secret of loving Poetry.

Also, technically, military careers tend to require endurance/stamina, which in GURPS is HT. As such, I favor HT 11-12 on military-type characters.

Actually, let me PM you something...

I started to go with a retired soldier type, but ended up changing where he is a former gang member whose father was an alcoholic and his mother ended up a drug addict, his younger brother was smart so was able to get away, but Rauol, got caught up in it as a street brawler then switched to using guns at an early age. Once his gang started selling drugs he got out.  I settled on the name Raoul Rodriguez and he was going to be of Latin decent, but then lexomatic mentioned Chinatown and I kept the name, but now he is asian. I figured Raoul could be his alias.

I figured up that I had like 8 points left, bit that is with having points in all of the Guns. It looked like to me that I had to put points into all of them to get them, instead of just one. I put 12 into pistol and the rest got 8 each, if I figured right.

Edited by Colonel Kane

Just now, Colonel Kane said:

I started to go with a retired soldier type, but ended up changing where he is a former gang member whose father was an alcoholic and his mother ended up a drug addict, his younger brother was smart so was able to get away, but Rauol, got caught up in it as a street brawler then switched to using guns at an early age. Once his gang started selling drugs he got out.  I settled on the name Raoul Rodriguez and he was going to be of Latin decent, but then lexomatic mentioned Chinatown and I kept the name, but now he is asian. I figured Raoul could be his alias.

So based on what I saw, I'd agree with Arkady about rounding out your character. This is definitely a game where too much violence can get you in  trouble with the authorities, and may not solve problems you face. I intend to have non violent solutions possible.