lexomatic

Gurps 4e lite Portal Horror "The Blacklands" PBP recruitment & discussion

42 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

So I only need to spend points on one of the Guns skills and end up with all of them?

Not exaclty.

GURPS uses a related skill system ( and defaults). Defaults are what you would use if you would know something but aren't trained. Some skills allow you to start at a higher level than normal because you already have a related skill. This would be the type of situation. There is a good example in the characters book, so I'll look for that. It is not in the lite rules.

image.png.ae3593dfad0800c0e53b539a7e6e8b90.png

Edited by lexomatic

Guns (Speciality) is a slightly unusual skill for defaults. Basic rules say "most of these specialties default to one another at -2",  which is a bit higher than most defaults, and all of the ones you picked fall under that "most". 

So yes, by GURPS Basic rules, having one Guns skill at 16 means you have a bunch of others at 14, for free. (Weapon familiarity could throw a bit of a wrench in things, but that's lexomatic to decide.)

Edited by Arkady

Personally, I'd say it looks a lot more like the kind of character I like to see in GURPS. He's really good at some stuff and pretty good (keep in mind GURPS says 12+ means you can make a living with that skill!) at some other stuff.

Comments:

1. Mechanic requires a specialization. Could be as every day as Automotive or Motorbike (both surely fitting for an ex-ganger), could be something like Robotics (as in industrial assembly line robots) too.

2. Climbing and Swimming were bad examples on my part, given they're more tailored toward soldier types (covering ground in non-urban scenarios). A ganger might be better served by things like Holdout (he probably doesn't have a permit for that gun), Stealth or Streetwise. That said, Climbing certainly could have its benefits making a dishonest living breaking and entering through upper-floor windows ;)

3. On a similar note, Tactics in GURPS is considered a fairly hardcore military skill. Even police (except SWAT, obviously) mostly wouldn't have it, and gang tactics like drive-by shootings don't really require the skill. If you say Raul spent time studying the subject because he thinks himself a leader it seems fine, though.

4. I would tbh consider spending a little less on skills to get to DX 12 after all. This is still GURPS, so slightly higher attributes at start are usually better long-term. You wouldn't have to stretch very far; with Brawling, Driving, Guns and Knife being bought one level lower, you'd free up 14 points by my calculation.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, Colonel Kane said:

Dilvish, I have no ideas on equipment, but thank you for post this. It is helping me make a character. 

On 1/17/2019 at 2:35 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Oh, I can come up with all sorts of equipment.  I just don't see a list or prices in the rules.

I had a long answer but fat fingered it into non-existence.

P18-20 of the lite guide has weapons and armor. Use those for those types of things. It does include prices, but the column location seems to change.

If you are using a template that often includes a professional list of equipment. A character creator might populate that info for you.

Other equipment can be found from amazon. Make a note of the item,  $, and weight. I think this is the easiest way to do this for people.

I'll check everybody's list after and let them know if there's anything of mechanical benefit to their equipment.

If you have the 4e character guide or the high tech (or low tech for re-enactors) you can use those.

The starting money for Tech level 8 is $20,000 (as modified by dis/advantages). Use what you want (for cars, clothes, etc.) anything left over will be your bank account. Or you can also use this as a guide for generic what is out there tech l 8 and lower (the lower you go, the harder it will be to get, 7/8 is common). http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/ind:gear-by-tl

For those of you whose characters are not local, think about what your characters have, and what they are bringing with them (including the legality).

For those of you whose characters are based in Toronto, think about what you have (and have access to if needed) and what you carry around all the time.

EG do you have a car, or a bike, or have a sharing membership etc.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 2

I don't want to disrupt things if you are already too far along but do you have room for one more?  looking at the game I was thinking that I would like to experiment with a UU priest in this world.  Started life as a comedian then discovered he liked helping people more than just entertaining them, and maybe started noticing that the metaphysical darkness he was dealing with wasn't so meta and was a little more physical than people gave it credit for...

Thought i would ask.  If you are already set up, i am content to watch.

Thanks

Roo

What do you mean UU?

25 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I don't want to disrupt things if you are already too far along but do you have room for one more?  looking at the game I was thinking that I would like to experiment with a UU priest in this world.  Started life as a comedian then discovered he liked helping people more than just entertaining them, and maybe started noticing that the metaphysical darkness he was dealing with wasn't so meta and was a little more physical than people gave it credit for...

Thanks

Roo

I could potentially do one more. But let's talk in pm

Edited by lexomatic

Well, it looks like the GURPS Character Sheet tool doesn't actually allow exporting a character to anything than the online calculator, which in turn doesn't allow sharing with anyone but registered users, and only allows exporting back to CGS format. :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a good free print-to-PDF tool? That should work to get data from the CGS into a properly shareable form.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Can anyone recommend a good free print-to-PDF tool?

Cute PDF is standard on Windows since Windows 7 I think. I like it.

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Thanks

Roo

I thought I replied I guess it got lost.

1) What is a UU Priest?

2) It might be doable, send a PM and let's talk. I'm hard capping at 6, which you'd be. I haven't done this pbp before, so it could get unwieldy, though I had in mind that the live version would be drop-in-able.

5 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Pretty sure UU is short for Unitarian Universalist.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

beat me to it.  That is the group.  If there was ever a religious group that is not going to freak out about pocket dimensions and alternative universes, it would be them.

• Like 1

Well, this didn't work, then.

Edited by Arkady
Didn't work

5 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Derp. GCS fooled me into not finding it does have native PDF export. Trying to mess with print to PDF made me stumble across that, so... Charity Lane, V1.0 reasonably developed still needs moree wwork on the equipment side.

CharityLane.pdf

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

Found a list of equipment with suggested prices.  http://dnd.johnmasterson.com/dreambird/equip.htm

I'll use this as a basis.  I dont see myself buying anything too out of the box.  Any kind of run down warehouse/mill area I can use to set up as some sort of shop/fabrication area.? May also use it as living quarters.