Jump to content

lexomatic

Gurps 4e lite Portal Horror "The Blacklands" PBP recruitment & discussion

Recommended Posts

My idea from the very start was an undercover agent barista who can probably do little more than politely ask eldritch horrors to maybe behave, please. She wound up being an ex-bouncer who can threaten to judo Brazilian jiu-jitsu (because that's cooler than judo) throw them, too. If lexomatic isn't regretting letting me in, I doubt anything else will be too much of an issue :poke:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 5:44 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Sorry if I. Caused some problem.  I just added gear that I could get from Amazon.  I don't think our GM wants anything but what was given.  Problem with these sheet creators is you never know what is what.

 

No magic was pretty firmly put down in the rules.  I don't think I messed that up but if I did it's my fault and younshoukd not treat it as cannon.  I only went to that list because it had duct tape and a flashlight and some other basic materials that could be bought in wal mart. Dont make Lexomatic regret inviting me...please?

1) I suggested the Amazon thing, And sheet creator tools equipment is fine too. FWIW, I suggested the Lite (because GURPS is complex) and it's free, but wouldn't object to someone using more rules if they had them.

2)No magic. Dreams aren't magic, but I'm happy with Charity, so I hope you don't change it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, we could never get the download to work. My books are due tomorrow so I will put the character together and then just scan the sheet for okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure.

3 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Okay, we could never get the download to work. My books are due tomorrow so I will put the character together and then just scan the sheet for okay.

I'm going to give things a few days.

There's a few things I want people to think about in terms of playing.

1) we're going to have a late joiner, which is cool, because I have an idea to tie them in.

2)Do people want super short PM pre-games? I have some ideas. Mostly a few back and forth messages.

3) Re the playening.

a) I'm around a lot at the moment, so I should be able to respond relatively quickly (though I get rotating 3 hour shifts of baby duty, which limits stuff during those times).

b)Do people want me to wait until everyone has gone, or tag any missing people and after a set amount of time (6 hours? 18 hours  from 10pm on?) assume they are distracted and move on, or wait until everyone has gone? THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING to determine before we start, I think.

c) if someone is away and a new scene starts, I was thinking of having you all become contacts of each other, so you can "call up" people to bring them in if they're away. This also makes things more "drop-in" But also means people may miss some stuff.

d) IRL, people would get an xp per session (and extra for world building, character art, mini painting,  etc. etc. extra efforts). I'm trying to gauge what that might be. I'm thinking for now of trying "by scene" because even weekly might not be that much based on my one other pbp experience. That might change, so I'm letting you know. If you have thoughts off the bat, I'm all ears.

4) I'm aiming maybe for Feb 1 as start for full/real game to give us some time, but can push that back a week depending how things go.

Any other thoughts? I'm also going to update the first few info posts over the next few days with stuff that's come up since.

54 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Okay, we could never get the download to work. My books are due tomorrow so I will put the character together and then just scan the sheet for okay.

You can also just do stuff in word. I can send you back a PDF of the sheet and the .gca file which you might be able to import into the online thing (I haven't tried, so I don't know what that does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

 

1) Cool!

2)I'm good for just about anything

3) Re the playening.

a) I have some time while I'm at work and most nights.  I can't access the forums from work and am stuck using my stupid phone keyboard so posts during those hours would be minimal, but still can be done (especially if they are brief).  I've got IRL games on Tues and Weds nights from 5-9 plus travel time.  And my weekend are either wicked busy (like a con I have coming up in Feb or nothing going on.

b)  So I'm fine with whatever makes the game move on.  If you need to move along and I haven't posted, just assume I went along with the majority of the party.

 

c) as above in b)

d)again I'm good with whatever.  I'm used to advancement in PbPs being slow.  I think out of all of the ones I've done, I've only had one character actually advance (to 3rd level in PF)

4) That's fine.  I'm good with the exception of outfitting a shop.  I may just say $x worth of metalworking, electronics stuff.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

That's fine.  I'm good with the exception of outfitting a shop.  I may just say $x worth of metalworking, electronics stuff.

I don't think that's going to be an issue, so this should work fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am good with whatever. Having said that. I work at a minimum wage job. My schedule from week to week is never consistent. I may work close one night and then open the next morning. Post when you can, if I miss an post, well I miss the opportunity. I can type short replies on my phone, if and when I can and if I am not at work I can use my laptop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I really could do with some feedback on equipment so far, especially in terms of whether there's anything listed PIA wouldn't have issued, or anything else PIA absolutely should have issued, to charity, before I run wild with adding more stuff. (Incidentally, I'm inclined to say most of the money unspent is probably in "Charity's stuff", presumably stored in mom's basement down in Georgia.)

 

I think Charity probably needs a PM pre-game, or at least PM pre-discussions, because I need to know what her "Need to Know" is, and what I should assume her orders are in terms of whether/when she is allowed/supposed to break cover. After all, if there is anything paranormal that needs investigating, once "Samantha" becomes Charity, she's technically legally in charge until someone flashes a shinier badge :poke:

 

The bright side of having an undercover assignment serving coffee in Toronto, by the way, is that "Samantha" presumably provides Charity with some income during the shutdown. Now excuse me, I'll be over there with my ten foot pole, not actually touching that topic again.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as playing time goes, I am usually pretty flexible, being retired. I am a total noob so just tell me what the rest of the crew is doing and I will adapt and learn. As far as equipment, a ton of US LE agencies get all sorts of military equipment, from M4 rifles to APCs, so any readily available weaponry especially with the PIA's job, should be available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Corsair said:

As far as playing time goes, I am usually pretty flexible, being retired. I am a total noob so just tell me what the rest of the crew is doing and I will adapt and learn. As far as equipment, a ton of US LE agencies get all sorts of military equipment, from M4 rifles to APCs, so any readily available weaponry especially with the PIA's job, should be available.

Just remember canada is different. Just because an agency issues stuff in one country doesn't mean it operates the same in a different one.

My normal Tuesday game got cancelled so ill send a few pms later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Sure.

I'm going to give things a few days.

There's a few things I want people to think about in terms of playing.

1) we're going to have a late joiner, which is cool, because I have an idea to tie them in.

2)Do people want super short PM pre-games? I have some ideas. Mostly a few back and forth messages.

3) Re the playening.

a) I'm around a lot at the moment, so I should be able to respond relatively quickly (though I get rotating 3 hour shifts of baby duty, which limits stuff during those times).

b)Do people want me to wait until everyone has gone, or tag any missing people and after a set amount of time (6 hours? 18 hours  from 10pm on?) assume they are distracted and move on, or wait until everyone has gone? THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING to determine before we start, I think.

c) if someone is away and a new scene starts, I was thinking of having you all become contacts of each other, so you can "call up" people to bring them in if they're away. This also makes things more "drop-in" But also means people may miss some stuff.

d) IRL, people would get an xp per session (and extra for world building, character art, mini painting,  etc. etc. extra efforts). I'm trying to gauge what that might be. I'm thinking for now of trying "by scene" because even weekly might not be that much based on my one other pbp experience. That might change, so I'm letting you know. If you have thoughts off the bat, I'm all ears.

4) I'm aiming maybe for Feb 1 as start for full/real game to give us some time, but can push that back a week depending how things go.

Any other thoughts? I'm also going to update the first few info posts over the next few days with stuff that's come up since.

You can also just do stuff in word. I can send you back a PDF of the sheet and the .gca file which you might be able to import into the online thing (I haven't tried, so I don't know what that does.

2)I wouldn't mind a short PM pre-game to set the stage.  happy to oblige.

 

3a)I like the timer idea:  maybe we could provide a stock response in the beginning of the playing section (in a fight I attack with my staff, when encounter a new area I try and search the area, when my hp is below 25% I run, that sort of thing)  that way you don't hurt the party by lack of response.

 

3c)Given this is a modern era, I don't think that past the first meeting there would be any issue with each of us having mobile phone numbers and email contacts for each other.

 

3d)From previous experience, I would suggest looking at your story arc and creating milestones for group experience.  That way when the group tags one, its both an experience point boost and a trigger that the information we just found is important.  I also recommend regular bonus points for good role play.  sometimes the actual arc slows as we discuss things or develop our characters and their relationship with each other... that should be recognized.

 

4) my birthday works for me!  But I am open to whatever date you want to start

 

As for items, I tried to give a general grasp of things that Morgan would have on his person or odd things he could get quickly.  I am acting under the assumption that he has an apartment in a decent section of town, has furniture in the apartment and can get his hands on a sharp fork or chefs knife if he should need one.  At the same time I included things like the first aid kit and the UV flashlight, the books on exorcism rites and the weighted staff because, even though he may not have them on him at all times, he has easy access to them.  Same thing with clothes:  he has 5 good outfits.  I assume he has a few extra tee shirts and ratty jeans for hanging out but after the 5th monster barfs acid on his clothes, its time to visit Lands end for more clothes. ::D:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Pingo
      These are a bit of resin terrain from Ainsty Castings in the UK, Fire Hydrant x2 Different Based, SKU 8205.
       
      They were really simple to paint. The gravel is molded on.
       

       
       
       
        
       
      They might be a smidgen oversized. Here's a scale shot with a figure:
       

    • By lowlylowlycook
      Pendraken is a company that does a wide range of 10mm historical and fantasy minis.  Occasionally under other trade names  they branch out into some other
      stuff like terrain or larger figs.  In this case they are doing 28mm moderns under the trade name Militia Miniatures.  Since their very friendly forum is my second
      home as far as posting about the hobby,  I figured I would share this  here even though I don't really do modern conflicts.
       
       
       

       
      What is Militia Miniatures?
      Militia Miniatures was first launched through Kickstarter in 2014, with an initial set of 10 modern mercenary personalities.  139 backers helped us reach our
      goal and all of the pledges were delivered within 2 months!  It's taken a bit longer than we'd hoped but we're now back with a fantastic new sculptor and another
      50 sculpts, all suitable for wargaming, roleplaying, or simply collecting and painting!
       
      For this project, we've had 50 new 28mm sculpts produced by the extremely talented Paolo Fabiani, which are all waiting to go into moulds.  If we can hit and
      exceed our target then we've got some nice extra goals planned... 
       
      Here is the link to the KS.
       
       
    • By Weird-O
      Along other things, i enjoy painting and gaming with 1/2400-scale modern naval craft. Here's my US Navy contingent thus far. Lake Erie, Carney, Ramage, and Samuel B Roberts are from GHQ, the rest are from Viking Forge.







      Up next are the Russians. All the surface combatants are from GHQ, the Kuznetsov and subs are Viking Forge, and the Mitrofan Moskalenko is from Shapeways.







    • By Pingo
      I am almost certain this RAFM miniature, RAF02802, "Desirée Dark, Mercenary," sculpted by Werner Klocke, is meant to be the character Selene from the "Underworld" series. I painted her up, though, as a regular human.
       

       

       

       

       
        
       
      To compare and for the amusement value, here's one of the first figures I painted after coming back to minis after a twenty-year hiatus, a few years ago. It's another version of Selene from "Underworld," this one from Hasslefree (Hasslefree HFA021: Dionne (B)).
       

       
      I ... think my style has changed, some, the last few years.
    • By Pingo
      This is RAFM's "Paige Fox, Reporter," which I looked at and immediately thought "Lois Lane". She's a little cartoony, maybe a little satirical, but I painted her up with all seriousness.

      WIP thread here.

       


       

       
        
       
       
      And a couple of Superman's-eye views (aka how she looks on the table):
         
       
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×