Gary Pryor

I am running a D&D game with my friends using the new Ravnica setting. The world has a very unique look, and one of the player characters in our group is an steampunk/elephant-man/mad-scientist. I couldn't find any miniatures remotely resembling that, so I made my own out of a reaper Avatar of Strength and some warmachines loose pieces I got on ebay for cheap. I have never done any kitbashing or sculpting before (just made it up as I went along) but I feel it turned out pretty cool (even though I am pretty lousy painter). Couldn't wait to show it off a little here, even though the lighting is really bad in here at night for pictures.

Painted with all the cheap Reaper HD I picked-up during the sale.

Question, comments, feed-back appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg4.thumb.jpg.29c0e95ff4beafcd96b453c71d65f6eb.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Gary Pryor
forgot to add about what paint brand I used/more photos.
  • Like 20

Looks cool! My friends and I are going to be playing in the same setting. I'm hoping someone releases more elephant-man minis soon. 

• Like 3

Interesting. 

You can improve the photography with a plain piece of paper behind the figure. The painted mat and background blur distract from your creative work. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

Interesting. 

You can improve the photography with a plain piece of paper behind the figure. The painted mat and background blur distract from your creative work. 

I added some more photos in front of some paper. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aku-chan
      New to the table, I have the Shaman Urkin, both versions (in game he has the ability to 'Hulk Out').

Made a start to their skin with a basecoat of 1:1 Dwarf Skin/Dead Skin with Flesh Wash.
      Kind of intimidated by the task of carefully highlighting all the skin poking through the tattered clothing of big shaman, so calling it a day.
    • By Inarah
      My first mini of 2019, she is part of a group I am painting for a steampunk/time travel game my group is playing.

For inspiration I used this fashion plate, the figure on the right: 

• By aku-chan
      Presenting The Hookah, once one of many labourers working Howard Carters archaeological dig, he gave up his name when he joined the Cult of Set. He is also part of the Egyptian faction for the game Twisted.

Another mini where I wish I could've done a better job on his face, but this one had the double difficulties of not only being rather small and finely detailed but also obscured by his cultist hat.
      I think the rest of the mini makes up for that though, so I'm pretty pleased with him.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received. 
    • By Weird-O
      A French battleship and destroyer, and a British cruiser in "tropical" colors.

I really hope this game comes out of its coma someday...

• By Pingo
      Apparently I never started a WIP thread for this miniature. This is Reaper's 50304: Rowena Von Graaf, sculpted by Julie Guthrie, which I started painting a long time ago. She's a fun steampunk figure.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I decided to paint her with a pretty black face.

Here's a close-up of her face. There are tiny white points which are microscopic unpainted pits in the figure. They are much smaller irl than they show up in the photographs. I am slowly (maddeningly) working to fill them in as I go.

I decided to paint her underskirt pink. This is Quinacridone Magenta lightened with Titanium White.

And the base coat on her dress and spats is straight Red Oxide.

And this is where I left her (cough) about a year and a half ago. More to come!
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)