Sign in to follow this  
icgamer

Creative ways folks have dealt with dragons on two legs

As any of you that have assembled and painted bones figures for a while now have figured out, and don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, but the beautifully displayed "rampant dragons" up on two hind legs, well the bones material just isn't strong enough to hold models upright over time and there is nothing sadder than watching a well painted figure, on a sculpted base just slowly slump over within a few days or weeks, so I'm wondering what some of you guys have done out there?

Do you just retroactively go out there and try to insert extra terrain on a base (maybe have the dragon propped up by a rock) or do you plan ahead and pin the tail down with wire to the base before hand?

Just curious what others are doing to make sure those dragons on two hind legs, that look amazingly dramatic, don't end up on all fours over the course of time.

• Like 2

Hi!

I've only tried one thing, and that was to drill up through the feet into the legs with a pin-vise to the bendy areas, and insert a pin through it, usually a paperclip or brass rod (forgive me for explaining what a pin is, didn't want to assume you knew and leave you possibly confused!). It was a pain drilling that far, but it did keep it from bending.

Important note, I did it before I had painted it, so I am not sure if it will be easier or harder to retroactively do this on a painted bending dragon.

And if it turns out you are confused about pinning, let us know, the good people around here will gladly help and point you to the right resources. :)

-MvM

• Like 5

I always pin the tail down. Easiest way I've found to keep it there. I had to do it with the jabberwocky too after I boiled it 3 times to no avail. 

Edited by Marineal
  • Like 3

I'll be going with the "pin the dragon's tail down" route for my dragon from Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition (aka DDS2), as it just seems the simplest and easiest fix for that particular one.

• Like 1

thanks for the input...

I'm familiar with pinning, but thanks for broaching the subject with grace, you can never assume to much.

One of the miniatures in question, well, lets just say I'd assumed it would hold it's position indefinitely, and I need to take some remedial action on the base after the fact.

The one i'm going to work on now, I'd already laid a base color down, then set it aside for a while and now it's quite obvious he's going to go down on all fours, so i'll likely just go up from under the base, drill through the bottom of the tail and attempt to drill part way through a thick part of the tail to see if I can't get that attachment point to support the model.

As for the already completed mini....ug...not sure what I'm going to do with him, but I'm open to suggestions.

thanks for the input, i'm going to try to post some photos of the "repair" and then the situation i'm facing now..The first couple photos(with my hand) are how I'd wish he'd stand, and the second two are, sadly, his natural state...also glad I took the pics as I seem some scuffing on the wings i need to repair, lol, guess we've been a bit rough in our table top play or getting him in and out of the cabinet...need more storage space lol

Cheers and I appreciate the prompt and friendly advice.

20190113_111736.jpg

20190113_111708.jpg

20190113_111603.jpg

20190113_111552.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

That is the exact dragon mini I was thinking of when I read your post. Looking at it now, I think I may have drilled several pins into his joints because one wouldn't cut it. One at his ankles, then one through his calves-knees-thighs. I had to resculpt the calf where I drilled to cover the hole. But he stayed up!

• Like 3

For the already paintrd dragon, how hard would it be for you to detach your standing stone from the base, move it to a position where one of the dragpn’s arms could rest on it, and then patch the base terrain?

it just seems to me relocating the stone, and repairing the terrain on the base would be easier than repairing a pinning mistake on an already painted dragon...

• Like 4

thats a good point..it may even take no more than releasing the feet a bit...i'm pretty sure i pinned the feet to the base (shame I didnt go further up the leg) and sort of "pivoting" the dragon towards the stone...sort of six in one hand, half dozen the other whether it's moving the stone to the dragon, or pivoting the dragon to the stone..

Good suggestion and I'm glad I posted the pics to elicit such responses..cheers!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1