Sign in to follow this  
bluecrowlaura

My First Bust: Drogor the Orc by Joaquin Palacios

Nice job, I like the grungy look of him and the directional light looks good. One thing I would recommend for the next time is to bring more contrast to the leather straps. The ones on the wrist blend together and the ones on his maul? do not stand out a lot from the weapon. 

For wood plinths, check out CK's Wood on Facebook or if you don't have Facebook, Durling Woodworks. I have plinths from both but have not actually done online orders with either. I got my plinths from CK's from a contest and the ones from Durling at a show but I have heard good things about CK's. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Nice job, I like the grungy look of him and the directional light looks good. One thing I would recommend for the next time is to bring more contrast to the leather straps. The ones on the wrist blend together and the ones on his maul? do not stand out a lot from the weapon. 

For wood plinths, check out CK's Wood on Facebook or if you don't have Facebook, Durling Woodworks. I have plinths from both but have not actually done online orders with either. I got my plinths from CK's from a contest and the ones from Durling at a show but I have heard good things about CK's. 

Thanks! I agree with you about the contrast; I find that not starting with high enough contrast in general is one of my weak points. I could probably go back and darken around the straps, especially the hammer straps. I expect they'd be pretty grimy around the edges. But next time, maybe a mix of browns and blacks instead.

Thanks for the recommendations too. :-)

• Like 4

Wow!

This is your first Bust?

Awesome!

I have started painting busts and large scale aside from the 28mm/32mm minis a few years ago, it's lots of fun!

As for the plinths, I order from a Dutch webshop ( Scenery Workshop), I know El Greco and Scale 75 also sell plinths.

The Balsa you used is fine.

You could enhance the look of the plinth by inking it with a chestnut Ink or a wood Ink ( like Scale 75 Inktense Inks).

• Like 1

Great directional lighting! I like the grungy look and the smoothness of his skin tones - if I could paint as well as you, I'd go for some more shadows on his skin in places.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Wow!

This is your first Bust?

Awesome!

I have started painting busts and large scale aside from the 28mm/32mm minis a few years ago, it's lots of fun!

As for the plinths, I order from a Dutch webshop ( Scenery Workshop), I know El Greco and Scale 75 also sell plinths.

Thanks! This scale has been much more immediately gratifying to me. I don't have the steadiest hands and my eyesight is frankly crap, so normal gaming minis are a real challenge for me. We do use them for gaming though, so I'll keep at it; but painting larger scale is more relaxing.

I know about El Greco, but I haven't run across Scenery Workshop before. Much appreciated.

39 minutes ago, Iridil said:

Great directional lighting! I like the grungy look and the smoothness of his skin tones - if I could paint as well as you, I'd go for some more shadows on his skin in places.

Thanks Iridil! I may do that. I'm giving him a couple of days waiting period before I varnish, and I'm glad to be getting all these good suggestions. :-)

• Like 1

Wow!  Very nice work!  The skin looks fantastic!

I am just beginning painting my first bust as well and I am really enjoying it.  I hope mine comes out as nice.  I have a WIP thread going if you want to check it out.

I have been trying to figure out plinths as well.  I thought about getting some of the balsa chunks and maybe trying a cheap wood stain on them.  I don't know much about that kind of stuff and don't know if it would work at all.  You could always check Craig's List to see if people are giving away any scraps of nice wood.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bluecrowlaura said:

Thanks! This scale has been much more immediately gratifying to me. I don't have the steadiest hands and my eyesight is frankly crap, so normal gaming minis are a real challenge for me. We do use them for gaming though, so I'll keep at it; but painting larger scale is more relaxing.

About that....I'm 54 yrs old, I started with reading glasses and now I use a headband with magnifier lenses ( a visor) for the hobby.

It works great!

Recommended!

• Like 2