Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

6 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Bird books are awesome! If I could be any kind of naturalist, without worrying about paying the bills, ornithology would be the way to go!

That would be so cool!! I'm not sure what mine would be. It's super hard for me to narrow it down to just "some" nature. I want to learn all of it!

Fun, (now not-so-)secret fact about my husband: his choice would be maritime history. ^_^ 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sculpting chainmail is very tedious and time consuming.

I bet it's not as tedious as actually making it. Not the butted stuff, but the real, combat functional riveted stuff.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well that didn't go down well.

I am really sorry to hear that.  If you really want to chase him down you could always invite him to a meeting and when he doesn't respond or show up after 3 days report him as missing.  Probably not going to get you any positive reinforcement of good intentions though.  I hope you can move on.  One of the hardest things that anyone can do is realize that sometimes your children are just not going to follow your lead or even be willing to listen to you and all you can do is wait for the crash to pick up the pieces.

7 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just remember to pack a Potters Wheel in your duffel bag.

GEM

Twinkle Twinkle

Or just have a business card for a local pottery house in your wallet and some clay smears.

6 hours ago, Zink said:

I did a hand thrown bowl a week ago. Wife wasn't impressed when it shattered on impact. Thinking maybe our techniques are different.

Well, there's your problem, your not supposed to throw it by hand.  use a trebuchet, the impact is much more spectacular!

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

My client would like to make a statement. It appears that the sweat sock was found on A @buglips*the*goblin, not THE @buglips*the*goblin.

Oh NO! he's been cloned???????? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Plant identification is something I've always wanted to do. I was briefly part of the Range team in FFA before my parents realized that would mean I'd get to stay after school. The teacher was so insistent on the importance of proper identification that to this day, I'm still uncomfortable identifying things on my own. My love knows that one of my dream gifts would be to find a botanist who would let me follow them around so I can learn haha. Let me bug you, friendly botanists! I'll pay! :lol:

You ever come up to the upper midwest, I can do this for you.  Down in TX though all the plants are alien.  

33 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I bet it's not as tedious as actually making it. Not the butted stuff, but the real, combat functional riveted stuff.

You are right, it is not that tedious.  I've done a few rings of the real deal (in silver, not even steel) and yeah, very tedious.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

It’s been a while, but I seem to recall learning that as one’s pregnancy progresses, one’s joints sort of ... soften up and loosen a bit <snipped>.

Pingo is 100% correct, and you do have to be a little bit more careful about over-doing things.  Which is inconvenient when nesting kicks in.  

They had school today (finally) and middle daughter's school is barely accessible due to the ice on the roads.  Then oldest daughter called because she vomited and had to get picked up.  They've already decided to have a short day tomorrow because of more snow.  I'm so done with this.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Bird books are awesome! If I could be any kind of naturalist, without worrying about paying the bills, ornithology would be the way to go!

The wonderful thing about ornithology is that you can bird-watch ANYWHERE. It adds interest to any walk. Go to a park, sit down and keep your eyes open. How many birds can you see in half an hour?

The cheapest pair of binoculars will add to your pleasure. Bird books are nice, but expensive when new. I treasure mine.

I come from a family of twitchers. (Lifelist 1329, and counting...)

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Oh NO! he's been cloned???????? 

Of course, it's really for the best in case he gets done in by any arcane experiments. @Guindyloo gets to keep the original. I think. Please ignore the tattoo '#483' located on its right buttock. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sculpting chainmail is very tedious and time consuming.

Imagine the time it took to do the funerary monuments for famous knights.

And, so is knitting it, the smaller the links the longer it takes.

GEM

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

-36o C with the windchill, and of course a fly has to show up in my apartment.

Beware of Buglips Spy Network.

GEM

Twinkle Twinkle

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:
7 hours ago, Pingo said:

It’s been a while, but I seem to recall learning that as one’s pregnancy progresses, one’s joints sort of ... soften up and loosen a bit <snipped>.

Pingo is 100% correct, and you do have to be a little bit more careful about over-doing things.  Which is inconvenient when nesting kicks in.  

That's terribly annoying. And I realized the other night that I'm in trimester number three. I guess everything is set to get really annoying here :rolleyes: 

The silly thing is, I wasn't even doing anything strenuous. I was just stapling stuff (with my friendly, ergonomic stapler even). Le sigh!

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, I put some minis in my new Chessex case. It's ok. You can definitely tell that it was designed with less dynamic minis in mind. And probably closer to true 25mm, too. All the foam parts are unglued, too. Which is great for slicing open spots to make room for big stuff, but not so great for rigidity when lifting the top tray off to get to the bottom tray.

The large Chessex cases are basically the Flambeau V701 case in a custom grey with custom pre-cut foam.   I buy the stock beige V701s straight from Flambeau, and make my own inserts from foam sheets, craft foam and other things.  You can get a dozen of the V701 cases from Flambeau, and enough foam from foambymail (dot) com to make inserts for a couple dozen cases for the less than the cost of 4-5 of the Chessex cases.  That's how I ended up with around 60 of those style cases. 

The downside is that it's time consuming to cut your own foam. 

The V501 is the same as the small Chessex case, but my absolute favorite is the V601 - it's a medium size case that doesn't have a corresponding Chessex case. Same depth as the V701, but length and width are small enough that it can fit in many backpacks and canvas grocery sacks.  I have 40-50 of those, too, and will be picking up more after Bones 4 arrives. 

13 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Y'know one of the things about owning books that tell you things like 'thyme is good for loosing the gunk so it can be easily coughed out' ... those books /also/ tell you which plants, and which parts of said plants are lethally poisonous (mostly as a 'DON'T EAT THAT' PSA, but still). 

There are days I feel a little weird about that. Last time I was walking past a display of ornamental flowering plants and remembering that foxglove is one of those plants (No fooling. Will kill you dead. Or, prepared precisely correctly.. could save your life. Ain't nature fun?).

It's amazing how much deadly knowledge is contained in books in the forms of warnings about common plants and household items, and sad how many people are completely clueless to that knowledge. 

I once got into an argument with a woman who claimed that there was nothing deadly in her house. 

10 hours ago, Pingo said:

I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your wife and family.

Thank you. 

10 hours ago, Pingo said:

OTOH, lately I’ve been doing more writing and boy, does research for that go into some dark areas sometimes.

This is exactly why so many of these laws and actions (real or proposed) to catch terrorists by snooping in everyone's internet usage scares me so much.   Sure, those things may catch some terrorists, but they're also likely to catch a lot more writers, game masters & their players and filmmakers than they are terrorists.   Look at the whole Steve Jackson Secret Service raid to see how far overboard it can go. 

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thanks.

I live on the other side of the country.

I never use bluetooth and seldom WIFI.

Any private number that calls me, I don't pick up.

There is one thing they can do with your phone number - they can text you a link that appears it's your son sending you something, and when you click on the link, it can go to a website that can install software to gain full access to your phone. 

So be wary of anything like that - from anyone, not just your son - but given your son's story, be extra wary of stuff sent by him.   If you have already clicked on any links he's sent you via text (or email) recently, you may want to have your phone scanned and/or even replace it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In reference to all the "Scary stuff hidden in plain sight" posts recently;

As you know my ships take security teams on board when we transit High Risk areas.

Last year we had a group of VERY tough ex-SAS men on board. Their leader said to me that he was much happier when they went on ship WITHOUT bringing guns. "So how do you defend us then?" I asked. He proceeded to produce several lethal devices out of ships tools and ended up turning a fire extinguisher into a flame thrower in about 2 minutes.

Very glad he was on my side.   

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

A vintage Peterson’s Guide to eastern birds was one of my earliest book loves. I was tickled to recently find a similar book for Mesozoic feathered creatures (birds and dinos).

• Like 9

Just now, Pingo said:

A vintage Peterson’s Guide to eastern birds was one of my earliest book loves. I was tickled to recently find a similar book for Mesozoic feathered creatures (birds and dinos).

ISBN number please! I think I need a copy of this.

• Like 9