Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Agree. If my loved ones have a sad party when I kick it (of old age) I'm gonna come back and haunt them! 

What they should do is have a dnd party where my ghost is the BBEG!

My plan is to have a Norse funeral pyre, complete with lots and lots of alcohol. And a hog roast. And nachos. And armed combat.

And if my state doesn't allow open air cremations, which I can't remember if they do or not, then they are to burn me in effigy instead.

Also, it's looking like the paint and primer I ordered last week in hopes of it showing up before the freeze returned is going to be very cold when it gets to me. Because the freeze has returned, and the paint still hasn't shipped yet as far as I know. Which is also making me a bit angry, because I need those primers. Well, not really, but they will make my life easier because they're colored primers and they'll do more for making things easier than the primers I already have.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

But they did have lead foil, and gold and silver foils.

GEM

Gold foil. Only the best hats for the discerning upper class looney.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

24 minutes ago, Unruly said:

My plan is to have a Norse funeral pyre, complete with lots and lots of alcohol. And a hog roast. And nachos. And armed combat.

And if my state doesn't allow open air cremations, which I can't remember if they do or not, then they are to burn me in effigy instead.

I'm borrowing this.

Possibly with the addition of pizza and mead to the party foods. ^^

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Zink said:

I'm going to be paying of my dad's debts for a loooonnng time yet and I've added some of my own to that. But I'm the spoiled youngest kid that got everything for nothing. :rolleyes:

I've always said I can't do pretty very well when cooking but I can do tasty.

I don't know about Canadian law but in the US, unless you are a spouse, debt between generations can be avoided completely.  One of the most important decisions you can make is deciding whether to create an estate or absorb it into your personal finances.  If you choose the finance route you dont have to pay lawyers costs and you pay less taxes on the inheritance and you get all of the funds pretty much immediately, but you also receive all of your benefactors debts and responsibilities.  However, if you choose the estate and probate route, the estate becomes a legal entity and all debt owners must make claims against the estate and cannot come after any of the benefactors for a penny.

Obviously, as soon as they find out someone is dead, the creditors try and get the survivors to pay the debt as an obligation or because its 'the right thing to do'  These can be seriously dirty tactics.

When my father past away after my mother he left behind a large 6 figure debt with 5 figure assets. Even the house was morgaged with a 100% balloon payment at termination.  We went with probate, created the estate, basically gave the house back to the bank, let the debt owners have about 4% of  their claim each and told the rest that they would just have to live with it.  There is very little more satisfying than telling a debt collector that the debtor is dead and there is a probated estate:  you can hear the exasperated sigh of misery over the phone.  Even better is the law in Indiana that says they can only call once after you give them the probate lawyer's contact information.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

It's times like these that are the reason why invisibility and mage hand were invented. ::P:

Also, bellman and delivery person.

GEM

Twinkle Twinkle

41 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Also, it's looking like the paint and primer I ordered last week in hopes of it showing up before the freeze returned is going to be very cold when it gets to me. Because the freeze has returned, and the paint still hasn't shipped yet as far as I know. Which is also making me a bit angry, because I need those primers. Well, not really, but they will make my life easier because they're colored primers and they'll do more for making things easier than the primers I already have.

I've suggested that when I get to the point I can no longer care for myself that it will then be time to bungee cord and duct tape me to a motorcycle with the brakes disconnected, a full tank of fuel, extra fuel on the pillion, stuff lit flares in my pockets, and then let me go.

GEM

Who has actually been on a flaming motorcycle at full freeway speed.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Son and me had such a falling out that we're no longer speaking.

He needs to sort out his business.

Won't go into detail now, I'm tired of it all.

You have my sympathies, GW.

We had been dealing with something similar (if less extreme) from the youngest.  It took her quite some time to get her head together enough to realize that her mother and I weren't actually her enemies, and that her ex-husband and her most recent "man" (I use quotes because I seriously do not believe it qualifies as a human being) may have been leading her down incorrect paths.  

I think she's apologized to her mother for some of the things she said about us/did to us.  But it's been a long four years since it all started. 

I hope your son comes around sooner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

I don't know about Canadian law but in the US, unless you are a spouse, debt between generations can be avoided completely.  One of the most important decisions you can make is deciding whether to create an estate or absorb it into your personal finances.  If you choose the finance route you dont have to pay lawyers costs and you pay less taxes on the inheritance and you get all of the funds pretty much immediately, but you also receive all of your benefactors debts and responsibilities.  However, if you choose the estate and probate route, the estate becomes a legal entity and all debt owners must make claims against the estate and cannot come after any of the benefactors for a penny.

Obviously, as soon as they find out someone is dead, the creditors try and get the survivors to pay the debt as an obligation or because its 'the right thing to do'  These can be seriously dirty tactics.

When my father past away after my mother he left behind a large 6 figure debt with 5 figure assets. Even the house was morgaged with a 100% balloon payment at termination.  We went with probate, created the estate, basically gave the house back to the bank, let the debt owners have about 4% of  their claim each and told the rest that they would just have to live with it.  There is very little more satisfying than telling a debt collector that the debtor is dead and there is a probated estate:  you can hear the exasperated sigh of misery over the phone.  Even better is the law in Indiana that says they can only call once after you give them the probate lawyer's contact information.

Not sure about if that's possible in Canada but in our case it wouldn't have worked anyhow without prior planning. We wanted to keep all his assets in the family and the debts were directly attached to the land. They had to be paid off or assumed by whoever got the land. He didn't have the cash or disposable assets to pay them off. I got the largest share of the land and all of his debt years before he died. He would have been debt free except for the cousins I mentioned. Their idiotic attacks on him cost them and him a huge amount just after I bought him ought. That debt is on the land my mom still owns and I manage for her. So I'm the one doing the work to pay off that as well although it's using her assets. But some people still think I got it all for nothing. Sadly these sort of situations aren't uncommon with farm families. I know a bunch of people that have gone through the same thing.

Dad was unlucky in that he inherited twice from aunts and uncles that didn't have kids. He'd helped them all his life for nothing and was the only relative that really did. He got sued both times by jealous relatives. He won the first suit easily but it cost a lot and he couldn't get damages out of the attackers. Second time just drug on forever and eventually settled out of court when the claimants ran out of money before we did. Some people think he was real lucky to get the farm that he did. I don't think it was worth 15 years of lawyers although technically he got it cheaper than market price. He had a nice farm that he built himself (which is mine now) and it's gone to ruins because too much of our income went to lawyers for too long. It's going to take me years to get it back into the shape it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

3 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Just starting a ship-to-ship cargo discharge. Off the coast of Malaysia and just north of Singapore.

1162511217_TanjungPelepas1a.thumb.jpg.c223fc145717a4afd80cf32e07370447.jpg 

So do you get much shore leave when in exotic locales? Or do you follow the age old traditions of sailors of hitting the nearest dive bar along the docks when off ship? Or do visa hassles keep you mostly confined on ship? I'm about as landlocked as it's possible to get so don't know much about life on the sea especially currently. 

Poor wife got out of the shower and was getting our daughter ready for bed. She was giving her a quick wash with no diaper on when she got hosed down by something hot. She doesn't really swear but it was a near thing. At least she didn't have far to go to get back in the shower. With the boys we were always ready for that sort of thing because the little buggers were good at it every time they had the chance. The girl isn't so bad although we still get accidents at times. I'm sitting here giggling thinking of various other times. I admit it I'm easily amused. Especially when it's late and I'm really tired.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Maybe I've missed this but... Why does BiL want their mother (your MiL) to come to the funeral?

5 hours ago, Zink said:

I hope your BIL doesn't make a big deal out of it. He shouldn't be pressuring your wife into dealing with her mother when he knows their relationship. Sometimes you just can't fix things. 

Don't know exactly why he asked her to come. Haven't talked to him since he first called with the news, just listened to my wife vent about it this morning, so how much pressure he's putting on her could simply be my interpretation of her venting about a text message or two or it could have been him lecturing her or it could have been her conflating multiple conversations.    I haven't really discussed it with her, other than listening to her, and telling her I'll support what she wants. I've talked to ya'll about it more than I have with her.  She didn't mention it again when I talked to her this evening. 

After some reflection upon it, it's entirely possible that he suggested my wife ask her mom to come not because he wanted her to come, but to be able to justifiably tell his mom off about not supporting her daughter in a time of need. It wouldn't be the first time he played protective big brother. 

Enough about that - it is what it is and what it will be. We'll see next week. 

My son pointed out to me after school that he needed appropriate attire for the funeral - he's grown so much in the last year he has outgrown all his dress clothes. So we had to make an unplanned trip into Des Moines to hit up Goodwill and Walmart.   Managed to find a nice dress shirt, sport coat and shoes for about $15 at Goodwill, and added some pants from Walmart for $17.  Gave him one of my old ties to add to it. 

He put it all on when we got home so we could send a pic to his mom.  Dang he looked sharp - made me feel old because he almost looks grown up. Haven't heard back from her since I sent the picture, which either means she burst into tears or (most likely) had gone to bed already.   And I think I'll need to have some ZZ Top queued up the next time he puts it on. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Zink said:

So do you get much shore leave when in exotic locales? Or do you follow the age old traditions of sailors of hitting the nearest dive bar along the docks when off ship? Or do visa hassles keep you mostly confined on ship? I'm about as landlocked as it's possible to get so don't know much about life on the sea especially currently. 

Not many chances to go ashore these days. As you can see, a lot of our port calls are a long way from land, and launches are not cheap. Added to that now that I'm THE BOSS there are inspections, surveys, Port State visits, coastguard checks, stores to load etc. etc each time we hit port, so I'm always on call for something. Add to that the likelihood of a random blood test and there is no real chance to enjoy any jaunt ashore that might happen.

Like most other professions, the last 20 years of cut-throat competition has taken most of the enjoyment out of life at sea.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I'm borrowing this.

Possibly with the addition of pizza and mead to the party foods. ^^

Mead is alcohol. My friends, who will all take great joy in my idea of a funeral, are all in the SCA. Not only will it be there, it will be there in abundant quantities, multiple styles, numerous flavors, and all made by the attendees or the deceased.

Yesterday I was mad that I wasn't getting overtime tomorrow anymore. Now, I'm glad about it. The coworker that I was going to be working with came into the office today in a very poor mood. Which I'm sure he blames on me and my other coworker, because we weren't at the office to pick him up when his shift started and so rather than call and ask us where we were he decided to start walking and going everywhere that we had just been 45 minutes beforehand. Which meant he couldn't do anything there yet, because we have to wait an hour between the first and second tickets we issue to a car. Meanwhile, we were only a block away from the office dealing with a bunch of people stopping in the middle of the street one after the other, so we were busy. When we tried to call him, 20 minutes after his shift started because we were wondering why he hadn't called us yet, he didn't answer his phone. We called the person working the front desk at the PD to see if she had seen him yet, and she hadn't, so we started heading back to the office because normally he stops and says hi to her when he comes in. We assumed that he hadn't come in to work yet. Then while we're driving back we see him in one of the lots and try calling him again to tell him to stay there while we circle back around. It's now midnight, 10 minutes after our first call, and he still doesn't answer. We make our way back, pull in, and ask him why he didn't answer his phone when we called him. He says "you didn't call me until 30 seconds ago, and besides, you guys already did everything." Which we tried calling him 10 minutes prior, and there was still half of downtown to do. And if he'd called we'd have told him exactly where to walk to to both go where we hadn't been in a while and to meet us. It was literally the only other option for him to walk to from our office. If he had just walked straight out the front door instead of walking out the side door, he'd have chosen the right direction and run into us 2 minutes later at the next intersection.

Everyone at our job knows that if you come in to your shift and the person you're working with that night isn't there, you wait 10-15 minutes to see if they show up. If they don't show up, you call them and say "where you at?" Their response will usually be "I'm at (distant location), I'll pick you up in a few minutes" or "(close location), go down (street) and I'll meet you there." But he doesn't do that. He just decides to leave the office and walk off on his own, then gets mad because you weren't at the office to pick him up and you didn't call him.

And for the last 30 minutes of my shift work sucked. Because he was in a bad mood and kept wandering off without telling us where he was going, which is the thing he complains about the most when anyone else does it. Up until that point my day had been fine. Cold, but otherwise a very tolerable day at work. As soon as we found him and he was in his mood, I was just done with the day and couldn't wait to leave work. The fatigue was instantaneous.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Whooo, feel accomplished.  When I post the scores tomorrow, I'll be adding another hardware gold medal (first place with that hardware) as well as 2-3 more silver medals. :wub:

.... And I didn't even have to get dry ice involved, whoooo! 

For those who are reading this with a weird look, it's my computer hobby overclocking thing.  I geek out in ways some consider weird, and that's okay ^_^

Not bad for a processor that's been nothing but a pain to get dialed in, alongside breaking in new (to me) RAM... 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So I stopped listening to Megadeth after... Risk... so had no idea what the new stuff after that sounded like.  Decided to buy the later ones while rebuilding my CD collection and even though I'm 12 years late to the party... United Abominations is a helluva good album.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Dystopia Album in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrV61ATP3Ec

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Eh, that sucks. All I can say is that, if it were me in your wife's shoes, I'd say no and step back. But I've had it with difficult family. I hope everything settles down for you guys. Li

image.png.f3afecaf607df796574bdc44a3e96b71.png

5 hours ago, strawhat said:

You have my sympathies, GW.

We had been dealing with something similar (if less extreme) from the youngest.  It took her quite some time to get her head together enough to realize that her mother and I weren't actually her enemies, and that her ex-husband and her most recent "man" (I use quotes because I seriously do not believe it qualifies as a human being) may have been leading her down incorrect paths.  

I think she's apologized to her mother for some of the things she said about us/did to us.  But it's been a long four years since it all started. 

I hope your son comes around sooner.

I know lots of people who are dealing with the great lifechoices their offspring/ relatives/friends make.

It is always sad when things go bad, some come around and change their ways.

Others fall down, get up and fall down again.

Some never learn..

My sympathies to all who are dealing with such things.

I have once again been hurt, I will cut off the negativity and focus on the good things.

The future will tell if I made the right decision, I can't cope with my son's problems.

He refuses to listen and take advice, he is clearly not telling me everything and is putting others in danger with his problems.

So after he got angry and told me he didn't want to see me again, I accepted and told him I'd be fine with that.

This caused a rant from his side.

I will spare you the details, I decided not to answer anymore since it would do no good.

He might climb out of it, he might fall and I have no idea how hard that fall might be.

I don't know.

I have decided to let him sort out his own mess, no matter how ugly it gets.

I need to protect my girls and myself.

Nobody has to go down for his stupid decisions.

He doesn't take responsibility at all.

In better news, my girl and me went out to dinner last night to relax and get our mind off this crap.

We had a lovely Greek dinner.

Then went home and just vegetated on the couch in a food coma absorbing a tv show ( the Voice of Holland) with Brutus on my lap.

37 Kg Lapdog.

This pic was taken earlier, not yesterday. He's sleeping on me in this pic.

Clearly having deep thoughts about life and science!

IMG-20180813-WA0004.thumb.jpg.393ff78aed20271e30efeff2c34065da.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 14