Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

6 hours ago, Zink said:

Not sure about if that's possible in Canada but in our case it wouldn't have worked anyhow without prior planning. We wanted to keep all his assets in the family and the debts were directly attached to the land. They had to be paid off or assumed by whoever got the land. He didn't have the cash or disposable assets to pay them off. I got the largest share of the land and all of his debt years before he died. He would have been debt free except for the cousins I mentioned. Their idiotic attacks on him cost them and him a huge amount just after I bought him ought. That debt is on the land my mom still owns and I manage for her. So I'm the one doing the work to pay off that as well although it's using her assets. But some people still think I got it all for nothing. Sadly these sort of situations aren't uncommon with farm families. I know a bunch of people that have gone through the same thing.

Dad was unlucky in that he inherited twice from aunts and uncles that didn't have kids. He'd helped them all his life for nothing and was the only relative that really did. He got sued both times by jealous relatives. He won the first suit easily but it cost a lot and he couldn't get damages out of the attackers. Second time just drug on forever and eventually settled out of court when the claimants ran out of money before we did. Some people think he was real lucky to get the farm that he did. I don't think it was worth 15 years of lawyers although technically he got it cheaper than market price. He had a nice farm that he built himself (which is mine now) and it's gone to ruins because too much of our income went to lawyers for too long. It's going to take me years to get it back into the shape it used to be.

That is, unfortunately, the disadvantage of the estate: you have to be willing to give it all up.  

When my Dad was in his last stages he got me and my brother to come down to the hospital room and he wrote out a receipt for 'family items and heirlooms' which allowed us to legally go down to to his old house and collect pretty much anything we wanted from his stuff but the rest of it was sold to cover debts.  My parents were never very good with money and died before me or my brother were in a financial position to really help them.  It's been over a decade now, I still miss them.  

I've had a number of friends stuck in your father's position.  They helped someone out and supported a family member when no one else would and then the person leaves them an inheritance and he has to fight to keep it because a son or brother or daughter feel they deserved everything because they were blood relations.  It's painful.  I am glad you got to keep your farm, even if you got the debts as well.

5 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Just starting a ship-to-ship cargo discharge. Off the coast of Malaysia and just north of Singapore.

1162511217_TanjungPelepas1a.thumb.jpg.c223fc145717a4afd80cf32e07370447.jpg 

That is a cool shot!  Took me a moment to realize what was going on, even with your description.

5 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Not many chances to go ashore these days. As you can see, a lot of our port calls are a long way from land, and launches are not cheap. Added to that now that I'm THE BOSS there are inspections, surveys, Port State visits, coastguard checks, stores to load etc. etc each time we hit port, so I'm always on call for something. Add to that the likelihood of a random blood test and there is no real chance to enjoy any jaunt ashore that might happen.

Like most other professions, the last 20 years of cut-throat competition has taken most of the enjoyment out of life at sea.  

Join the ranks of the flying managers: go to exotic locations, see interesting places... on your way to a conference room with 70s decor that looks the same in every location.

You take the longer way round but it sounds like you get the same result.  The old guard tell me of times when it was typical to spend weeks at a remote plant and they would get tours and dinners and luxury hotels.  I think they tell us that just to make us jealous.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

In better news, my girl and me went out to dinner last night to relax and get our mind off this crap.

We had a lovely Greek dinner.

Then went home and just vegetated on the couch in a food coma absorbing a tv show ( the Voice of Holland) with Brutus on my lap.

37 Kg Lapdog.

This pic was taken earlier, not yesterday. He's sleeping on me in this pic.

Clearly having deep thoughts about life and science!

IMG-20180813-WA0004.thumb.jpg.393ff78aed20271e30efeff2c34065da.jpg

I love Brutus the lapdog.  Reminds me of our Doberman Zeus.  He grew up with a mini daschund and never made the connection that he was bigger.  He was large enough to just climb on a sofa or the bed but he would always back up to the edge of the room for a flying leap.  It was a... unique way to be awakened in the morning.  He would then squeeze himself in a tight little ball and attempt to curl up on your lap.  It was all very cute, if a tad uncomfortable.  He weighed around 35 kilos.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

No, no, no, friend, you knock on the door at 5am and you are going to have a very angry xenomorph on your hands. But if you arrange it the night before 1. I won't murder him when his alarm wakes me and 2. I won't be stressed out that he has disappeared when I wake up.

This seems entirely reasonable. The box of chocolate covered coffee beans probably would be a good offering to include. 

No D&D this morning, which makes me sad... but I've got a ton of homework to do this weekend. Plus all the other usual chores. This'll wrap up week 4 though, and then there's only week 5 to go... 

COFFEE!!!

• Like 6

Other coffee maker at work broke... /twitch

I dont look good in orange...I don't look good in orange /twitch

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Dystopia Album in 2016.

I also have that, but only got it yesterday along with 8 other CDs so I haven't got to it yet.  I mean, I've heard it on youtube but the whole reason I bought these was to find out if the youtube levels were off or if they really sounded that way (not great).  The youtube levels are off.  So I'd heard some of United Abominations on youtube as well and it was okay, but not impressive.  Hearing it unadulterated with levels set as known variables it's easily the best since Countdown to Extinction.  I expected the later stuff to be okay, maybe even ranging to pretty good, but for one of them to be excellent was a big surprise.    

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

DOOOM!!

DOOOOOOOM!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Crowley said:

DOOOM!!

DOOOOOOOM!!!!

Pretty much. 

And this is why the company I work for has a tech on call during the weekends.... 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

As horribly inconvenient the snow is, it sure is pretty.

I like snow when it's just enough to cover everything and not blowing and burying it all in huge piles. Should take some pics of my house and yard in town. We haven't had any wind with the miserably cold temps this week and it looks like what you'd see in the mountains more than here. 4" of fluffy stuff on the trees. Normally we have wind and I'm sure we'll get that soon enough. Some days when I'm feeding cows I have to dig a trench between the stack yard and the feeding area and by the time I turn around to go for more bales my trench is already filling with snow. It's not a lot of fun being out there when your trails disappear in minutes.

Woo hoo! it's warmed up to -26 C. Time to go feed my poor frozen cows.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NomadZeke said:

You know, in the interest of preserving your co-workers lives:

It is possible to make coffee using nothing more than 2 coffee mugs and a paper towel.  If you're willing to strain it through your teeth you dont even need the paper towel...

If all else fails, theres cowboy coffee:  put grounds in pot,  break office furniture into a pile of firewood, light fire, warm pot over fire, when heated drink the resultant tincture.

We must preserve members of the Sith from visiting prisons, we need to limit their access to mooks!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Oh cool. They're letting their kids play under the trees... that keep having falling branches... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just finished sorting the container of old pro paint and partha paint I tried to save.  All of it is gone, it's super contaminated.  I hoped to save the parthas enough that even if they weren't usable I could keep them as a colour reference but they've turned, so those are no good even for that duty.  I fished out the pro paint containers and stored them in isolation until I can figure out the least messy way of retrieving the skull agitators from them.  It's a lot of little skulls, they gotta be useful for something.    

ETA:  Also, I should have worn gloves.  I'm not sure what the contamination actually is, but just from handling the paint pots my hands are red and itchy as hell.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Sad 22

51 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

You know, in the interest of preserving your co-workers lives:

It is possible to make coffee using nothing more than 2 coffee mugs and a paper towel.  If you're willing to strain it through your teeth you dont even need the paper towel...

If all else fails, theres cowboy coffee:  put grounds in pot,  break office furniture into a pile of firewood, light fire, warm pot over fire, when heated drink the resultant tincture.

We must preserve members of the Sith from visiting prisons, we need to limit their access to mooks!

You say that like expendable resources are a bad thing... :devil:

28 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!

Something like that yeah. Apparently someone brought in three of those big to-go boxes of coffee from dunkin to cover the loss...I'm pretty sure I went through one box myself.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Just finished sorting the container of old pro paint and partha paint I tried to save.  All of it is gone, it's super contaminated.  I hoped to save the parthas enough that even if they weren't usable I could keep them as a colour reference but they've turned, so those are no good even for that duty.  I fished out the pro paint containers and stored them in isolation until I can figure out the least messy way of retrieving the skull agitators from them.  It's a lot of little skulls, they gotta be useful for something.    

ETA:  Also, I should have worn gloves.  I'm not sure what the contamination actually is, but just from handling the paint pots my hands are red and itchy as hell.

But how do they taste?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

If you need a place to send the extra skulls, I can think of some hamster that could make use of them... :poke:

Okay, most of the weekend chores done. Gonna need to get cracking on the homework. *sigh*

• Like 6