Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

55 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I look forward to the Bones Black figures that will be coming via my kickstarter pledge.

Well said .. but I zeroed in on this statement - did I miss an announcement or something?  Are some of the Bones  IV figures going to be Bones Black?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Well said .. but I zeroed in on this statement - did I miss an announcement or something?  Are some of the Bones  IV figures going to be Bones Black?

Yes you did.

All the expansions and some but not all of the addons will be in Bones Black.

The core set will be regular Bones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Crowley said:

It's turned out to be one of those weekends where I'm glad tomorrow is Monday. 

Heretic! Fie, Monday! Fie!

As if I didn't really waste my weekend anyway...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, sumbloke said:

SWMBO had a work function in a resort in the shadow of Mt Kosciusko

Thredbo? 

I once attended a great 4th of July party there...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Personally, I think that Bones Black is a positive change compared to the malformed shar-pei faces, drooping issues and shredding material that has unfortunately been so common in traditional Bones; I look forward to the Bones Black figures that will be coming via my kickstarter pledge. I appreciate the sentiment that customers should temper their expectations, but when the company has made claims that have not implied that they should do so, then I don't think it's unfair for people to challenge them on those claims and give them the feedback that they have always invited and used to keep improving their products.

Oh, I'm not saying people don't have a right to complain, just that some of what I've seen seems overblown. Especially over the troll's seam lines. But then until recently my experience with resin minis has been very limited and required as just as much cleaning and prep work as your average metal or hard plastic figure, if not more due to bubbles. Only my recent Mantic resins from their brand new molds has been anywhere near what you described your experience with resins has been. But then maybe the fact that I'm a gamer first and a painter second makes me easier to please in that regard.

But I will agree that Bones Black seems to be a big step up for Bones in general. Some of the regular Bones stuff can be a real mess due to the softness of the plastic and shallow detail.

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Yes you did.

All the expansions and some but not all of the addons will be in Bones Black.

The core set will be regular Bones.

That's actually pretty awesome. I didn't know that.

• Like 6

Managed to get some hobbying in tonight, and came up with an interesting observation . I'm reverse engineering the CAV Wight into a very blocky mannequin to determine its final pose before I start cutting. I need to have it broken up into the pieces that I think I'll need, so I'm measuring then roughly building each piece in FreeCAD. Did the pelvis and each thigh last night, and did the two feet this evening. I put in little holes in all of those parts so I can get an axial alignment for the assembly constraint between two pieces. Then, I put in a planar constraint along that axis to get it aligned left/right on the figure. The final constraint is an angle between two surfaces of the parts, so that I can control the rotation of the joint around that first axial alignment. This way, I can move the legs and feet with respect to the pelvis to get everything in the positions I want.

Thing is, I'm wasn't trying to replicate the original pose of the figure just yet. Just needed to get all the parts put in, and select some obvious surfaces that I can eyeball to get angles about right. I can then play with things. And that when I noticed something.

It can't stand upright! At all!

If you look at the figure, front to back, the inboard toe of each foot almost reaches to the other leg. If the figure was standing still, with each leg parallel to the other, the toes would overlap. Now obviously, the figure looks "correct" with a set of symmetrical toes about the center of the foot. But if one was to build the vehicle in real life, it would constantly be stepping on its own toes, or have to always have one foot in front of the other.

Now I've got a conundrum. Will my lil' engineer brain be able to ignore this massive design flaw, by either saying that's the way the figure is, or by retconning in some articulated toes that are spread for running, but fold in for standing?! Or will my lil' engineer brain force itself to come up with some solution to make things work?! I could cut off the inner toe completely. I could reposition the toes to make them look articulated. I could shorten them, so they don't interfere. I'm really going to have to ponder this quite a bit!

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Managed to get some hobbying in tonight, and came up with an interesting observation . I'm reverse engineering the CAV Wight into a very blocky mannequin to determine its final pose before I start cutting. I need to have it broken up into the pieces that I think I'll need, so I'm measuring then roughly building each piece in FreeCAD. Did the pelvis and each thigh last night, and did the two feet this evening. I put in little holes in all of those parts so I can get an axial alignment for the assembly constraint between two pieces. Then, I put in a planar constraint along that axis to get it aligned left/right on the figure. The final constraint is an angle between two surfaces of the parts, so that I can control the rotation of the joint around that first axial alignment. This way, I can move the legs and feet with respect to the pelvis to get everything in the positions I want.

Thing is, I'm wasn't trying to replicate the original pose of the figure just yet. Just needed to get all the parts put in, and select some obvious surfaces that I can eyeball to get angles about right. I can then play with things. And that when I noticed something.

It can't stand upright! At all!

If you look at the figure, front to back, the inboard toe of each foot almost reaches to the other leg. If the figure was standing still, with each leg parallel to the other, the toes would overlap. Now obviously, the figure looks "correct" with a set of symmetrical toes about the center of the foot. But if one was to build the vehicle in real life, it would constantly be stepping on its own toes, or have to always have one foot in front of the other.

Now I've got a conundrum. Will my lil' engineer brain be able to ignore this massive design flaw, by either saying that's the way the figure is, or by retconning in some articulated toes that are spread for running, but fold in for standing?! Or will my lil' engineer brain force itself to come up with some solution to make things work?! I could cut off the inner toe completely. I could reposition the toes to make them look articulated. I could shorten them, so they don't interfere. I'm really going to have to ponder this quite a bit!

You know your little engineer brain will continue to niggle at you about this if you don't listen to it, don't you?

GEM

Confidently heaving sand and gravel into the gearboxes of the universe for more than 65 years.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Planned to go shooting, car battery died.

Planned to do some painting, nap happened.

Spent the remainder of the evening packing for a 2 week trip.  Oh boy...

At least the flight' s at noon.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Planned to go shooting, car battery died.

Planned to do some painting, nap happened.

Spent the remainder of the evening packing for a 2 week trip.  Oh boy...

At least the flight' s at noon.

Sounds like a productive day.

• Like 6

Managed to snag a bones black Owlbear off of the Bay of Eeee. ::):

Didn't order anything from Reaper in January, too much just before Christmas and the looming GBB of Bones Kickstarter delivery.

GEM

• Like 7

Whooo, suppose I could call this weekend productive.  Was dreading Friday, it wasn't so bad...  Spent Friday afternoon/evening and a good chunk of Sat benching, finally beat one of my long term goals, and picked up a bunch of medals and whatnot on the 'bot ("sadly" hardware medals and not globals, but eh), and then did the almost unthinkable this evening - I got a decent amount of painting done ^_^

Was quite nice to spend the time painting, even if a good portion of it was drybrushing, but still saw progress. 

I probably should tidy up my painting area a bit though, it's kind of messy O_o 

• Like 6

Visited the dentist this morning.

New filling for a molar.

I'm still sedated, mouth and tongue feel numb.

Aaannndd I need to make an appointment for dental surgery.

A bone splinter needs to get out of my jawbone ( probably damage from removing a wisdom tooth) and I also have an inflammation there.

Oh joy!

Appointment set for over twee weeks..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Sad 6