Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Like for the good part...

5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Managed to get some hobbying in tonight, and came up with an interesting observation . I'm reverse engineering the CAV Wight into a very blocky mannequin to determine its final pose before I start cutting. I need to have it broken up into the pieces that I think I'll need, so I'm measuring then roughly building each piece in FreeCAD. Did the pelvis and each thigh last night, and did the two feet this evening. I put in little holes in all of those parts so I can get an axial alignment for the assembly constraint between two pieces. Then, I put in a planar constraint along that axis to get it aligned left/right on the figure. The final constraint is an angle between two surfaces of the parts, so that I can control the rotation of the joint around that first axial alignment. This way, I can move the legs and feet with respect to the pelvis to get everything in the positions I want.

Thing is, I'm wasn't trying to replicate the original pose of the figure just yet. Just needed to get all the parts put in, and select some obvious surfaces that I can eyeball to get angles about right. I can then play with things. And that when I noticed something.

It can't stand upright! At all!

If you look at the figure, front to back, the inboard toe of each foot almost reaches to the other leg. If the figure was standing still, with each leg parallel to the other, the toes would overlap. Now obviously, the figure looks "correct" with a set of symmetrical toes about the center of the foot. But if one was to build the vehicle in real life, it would constantly be stepping on its own toes, or have to always have one foot in front of the other.

Now I've got a conundrum. Will my lil' engineer brain be able to ignore this massive design flaw, by either saying that's the way the figure is, or by retconning in some articulated toes that are spread for running, but fold in for standing?! Or will my lil' engineer brain force itself to come up with some solution to make things work?! I could cut off the inner toe completely. I could reposition the toes to make them look articulated. I could shorten them, so they don't interfere. I'm really going to have to ponder this quite a bit!

Just push the " I believe" button and go with it.::D:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Pegazus said:

If you look at the figure, front to back, the inboard toe of each foot almost reaches to the other leg. If the figure was standing still, with each leg parallel to the other, the toes would overlap. Now obviously, the figure looks "correct" with a set of symmetrical toes about the center of the foot. But if one was to build the vehicle in real life, it would constantly be stepping on its own toes, or have to always have one foot in front of the other.

Is it possible that, when standing, its legs are further apart at the hips, giving it the wider stance needed to stand without stepping on its toes?  (I don't have the mini so I can't see what the current spacing for the trailing leg.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Sounds like a productive day.

Too much adulting.  Makes up for Saturday: played in a CSGO tournament (as a target dummy because I couldn't hit a darned thing, then played an evening game of Starfinder with my small group and was once again reminded of just how fun gaming can be.  So it works out.

Sunday's activities also included making cookies and getting to be section leader in the choir.  Busy day, but the battery is replaced, the bags are packed, and I am reasonably prepared for my trip.

Still would have liked to go shooting or painting though...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Is it possible that, when standing, its legs are further apart at the hips, giving it the wider stance needed to stand without stepping on its toes?  (I don't have the mini so I can't see what the current spacing for the trailing leg.)

For the actual figure, the base, feet, legs and pelvis are all one piece, so there's no fixing the original. But when I cut it up, I will be taking the legs off of the pelvis. At that point, the pelvis is a simple prism that I can easily replace with a wider pelvis to solve the issue. Good thing about FreeCAD is that it is parametric, so I can just jump in and add the width quickly to see if that makes things look right or throws the whole figure off.

Now, I did have the thought that the "real" vehicle swings the legs outwards at the hip as it walks to avoid the problem, but that would be a very silly walk.

• Like 6

Went to Captaincon this weekend things went pretty well.

Spoiler

Arrived thursday night, checked into the hotel. Friday morning went in early and got my badge, then wandered around for a while doing demos and helping a friend look for some minis he wanted. Breachstorm was kind of meh, but the Freeblades demo was really good! Didn't find the mini we were looking for. 

After lunch it was time time for "freebootaz" a ridiculous hack of the FFG Rogue Trader RPG that my friend Bill runs every year. We chose characters blind, and one player was late. Naturally the missing player ended up with the leader character. So the mission began with punching our own boss in the head to knock him out then running off to do the mission anyway. our orks were off to scavenge tech, and accidentally blundered into nurgle cultists "blankets", then plague bearers "Nigel" then some ill fated chaos marines "dat guy". Due to luck our boss ork one shotted the chaos marine for 5x the marine's total hit points before he had a chance to monologue at us. we also turned a chaos spawn into a very confused ork. As always it was fun and silly.

after that we went to cellos for dinner. fish and chips and clam cakes. Always good.

Saturday there was supposed to be Infinity the RPG in the morning, but too many of the preregistered players flaked out and it didn't run. So I did a little painting, then time for more demo games. The best of which were "streets of steel", and "processing" streets of steel is a boardgame version of an arcade beat em up. It works really well! "Processing" is a game where you have to vote for what happens to alien abductees, each player has a secret objective for things that they want to happen and things that are bad. You want to get the most points without being the player with the most bad things. It isn't out yet, but I'm picking this up when it is.

At night I played in a Warhammer 40k Kill Team tournament. I didn't do terribly for having only played once before. The winning player had a team of primarus and reavers. I had Ad mech rangers and vanguard. My final game was against bill's pile of orks and Gretchens. I won the game by bonking an ork to death with the butt of an arcabus. The sniper had no targets, so he charged.

At the end of the night I cashed in my captain's log points to get a dust tactics box set of "mercenary cleaners" which appears to mean flame thrower girls. One of the other folks I went with got a free box of dinosaur riding romans. 

Sunday was mostly shopping the end of con deals, and saying good bye to people.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Visited the dentist this morning.

New filling for a molar.

I'm still sedated, mouth and tongue feel numb.

Aaannndd I need to make an appointment for dental surgery.

A bone splinter needs to get out of my jawbone ( probably damage from removing a wisdom tooth) and I also have an inflammation there.

Oh joy!

Appointment set for over twee weeks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_C3bO8WZ0

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Now I've got a conundrum. Will my lil' engineer brain be able to ignore this massive design flaw, by either saying that's the way the figure is, or by retconning in some articulated toes that are spread for running, but fold in for standing?! Or will my lil' engineer brain force itself to come up with some solution to make things work?! I could cut off the inner toe completely. I could reposition the toes to make them look articulated. I could shorten them, so they don't interfere. I'm really going to have to ponder this quite a bit!

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Just push the " I believe" button and go with it.::D:

Push the "I believe" button and don't overthink it.  Because if you head too far down that rabbit hole, you'll start wondering if the whole idea of huge bipedal robot warriors makes any sense at all. 

• Like 8

Hrmph,

Neighbours across the street have sold their house and will leave in three weeks.

Too bad, I liked them.

Also their garage is placed a bit odd, like all in this neighbourhood.

If a new neighbour would park his car in front of it, he would block us completely, with these people and the ones before them, we never had trouble.

Hoping this will not become a problem with new people.

It is not a parking spot and would block us and the garages of two other neighbours, so I guess it will be fine.
As long s we get reasonable people again.

Thing that bothers me a bit, these are homes that are normally sold.

Now they sold it to an investor who might rent it out.

No telling how and to who.

Oh well,

We'll handle things when it comes to it.

I might be overthinking too much.

Probably due to the things I'm going through right now.

I'm less positive about things at the moment.

Having the tooth problems isn't really improving my mood either.

Sedation wore off, so there is a bit of pain that needs to go away later.

All due to the work done on the molar.

I'm not looking forward to the dental surgery either, but two weeks waiting isn't fun either.

Hope they will be able to get rid of the bone splinter in my jaw easily..

On brighter news, Brutus got his check up a the Vet, his tail is alright.

Not completely healed yet, but it is healing well enough.

He just needs to stop wagging his whip tail against hard objects.

Tonight my girl is going to have some other ladies over for an evening of gossiping drinking wine and ridiculing men fun.

So I will flee to the upper floor with my laptop and play another map of AOW III or something.

No need to be the only man during such an event.

I value my life.

• Like 16

Headed home! I'm at the airport awaiting my flight home. (855am local). 

While I didn't get to game like I planned, I knew it might be a possibility. No worries, I'll be DMing tonight. 

Supposedly heading back to snow on the ground.... Ugh. It's been nice experiencing a early spring. 

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Do engineers even have an "I believe" button? :wacko:

I’ve always worked by the “Trust but Verify” mantra myself.

And I will probably go with the parts as-given, unless there are issues during all the rearranging. I’ve got to swap which legs the feet go on. Only one has detailing on the sole.

Unless I chop up two. Hmm. I could add more details that way.

Hard hmm.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Now they sold it to an investor who might rent it out.

No telling how and to who.

If you have anyway of finding out who the owner and/or their property management will be, I recommend getting that info, and introducing yourself to them. 

Tell them that you're sure they'll rent it out to upstanding citizens, but you'ld like to have a good relationship with them to help each other out, in case they get bamboozled. 

When I was a landlord, the neighbors had our contact info (later our management company's info) to inform us of issues before they got out of hand and our tenants knew that.  I only had one set of tenants that became a problem - that was a mother and teen age son. 

Spoiler

Everything was fine until the mother moved out of state and left her teenage son home alone at the condo so he could finish high school.  The last few months of their tenancy became a problem because the place became a place for he and his friends to party.  Things seemed to calm down when I threatened to evict them because of neighbor's complaints (at this point, I didn't know the mom had moved out), but then they turned in their 30 day notice, and the partying started again.  No one ever showed for the walk through, and the place was a mess. We changed the locks and started cleaning up, and the next day got a call from our neighbors that this kid's friends showed up again and couldn't get in.  Came to find out that the kid had simply moved out the day they turned in the 30 day notice and paid their last months rent, and he gave his key to his friends to use as a party place.   

Needless to say, they lost their security deposit, and I billed them for an additional $800 worth of damages.  I didn't recover that additional money, but someone did leave a nearly brand new BMX bike worth a couple hundred in the garage (along with a bunch of crappy worthless furniture).  In trying to recover the money they owed us, I let them know we had the bike - never heard from them, so after a few years of it hanging in my garage, we finally used it as my son's first bike. 

When the house next to us got sold and became a rental, we did the same thing - got to know the owner and got his property management company's contact info.   We usually addressed any issues directly with the tenants, but there were a couple of times where it was helpful to let the tenants know that we could "go over their heads."  One of those times was when one set of tenants was a group of 4 young college age men.  They were surprisingly decent neighbors until a couple of them began climbing onto the roof to drink at night.   This was a problem for us because that put them right out side our bedroom windows, and they could get loud.  When they ignored our initial polite requests, I simply snapped a picture of them on the roof one night, and told them they could stop, or I'd send the picture to their landlord as a complaint.  That put an end to it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kitchen_wolf said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcjiYn3xXMg

The YouTube algorithm seems to have recovered from its Mongolian horde-induced shell shock long enough to bring me this.

Are folks dressed like '80s robot cartoon characters covering Led Zeppelin random enough?  Also, I miss embedding videos.

Me as well.

I now put a link and then a still picture of the song/album/ artist above it to get a little bit of that feeling back.

• Like 5