Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Not... Paint...?  But, but.... Whyyyy no paint tonight? 

Because I can't concentrate enough.

Instead I chose to watch Black Sails.

Well, part of it...

Almost bed time for me, going to walk Brutus.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I hate packing peanuts.  I hate how they're styrofoam, how they blow around in the lightest of breezes, and static cling to everything.  I generally refuse to use them, and I get super annoyed when a customer or company uses them to ship something to me. 

As much as I hate them, I don't throw them away when I get them.  They should be reused, rather than being buried in a landfill for a couple centuries (or worse, blowing away from the trash truck, or the landfill itself.  So I stick them in a bag in the garage. 

So how do I get rid of them?   

I use them to package things for customers who annoy me.  I will even pack things in a large box than necessary, just to use more packing peanuts for those sorts. 

Today I got to fill almost an entire FedEx Large box with them. :devil:

Tomorrow, I will be able to imagine someone in Utah getting annoyed that they are having to dig through styrofoam peanuts once again just to get the part they ordered. 

Agreed.

It is especially annoying when they are either to lazy or stupid inept to either bag or inner box the product so you have the elfing broccoli peanuts clinging to the actual merchandise.

It's actually not as bad as it used to be as much of the newly manufactured peanuts are made of a plant based and water soluble material that will break down easily.

GEM

12 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

My car has a one foot tall snow hat.

Pictures?

GEM

• Like 6

Just now, Corsair said:

The best use for them is to spot someone who has annoyed you and if they ever leave their car unlocked or the windows partly down pour the car full of peanuts! MWAHAHAHAHA

nah, I use popcorn for that.  Seriously. 

OK, it only happened once, but it was seriously funny to us - probably not the guy we did it to. 

Spoiler

Back in High School, I used to work for a movie theater.  The district manager for this chain was a jerk - for example, the first time I met him, I was out front of the theater sweeping the walk, when he did a site visit with our manager.  Seeing a guy pull up in a Mercedes convertible and a nice suit before opening, I surmised it was someone important from the district office.  As a result, I was friendly and said "Hi" to him as he came inside the building, like I was enjoying my work.   Almost immediately after he left, myself and the cashier, who had also greeted him, were called into the manager's office and informed that "employees should not speak until spoken to."

A few months after I left that job, I was working as a delivery driver for a typesetting company. One of the clients that I had to frequently deliver galleys of type to had their office in the same building as the theater chain district office, which was across the metro area from the theater I used to work at.  As a result of that, I knew where  he parked his car when he was in the office.  One day after I left that office building, I happened to see the distinctive car owned by one of my friends who used to work with me at the theater.   He was making runs to a bunch of the various theaters in the metro area to pick up trash bags full of popcorn because the machine at their theater had broken.  

So I pulled into to talk to him, and I happened to mention that the District Manager's Mercedes was in the parking garage with the top down.   Before too long, we're headed back to that office building with two full trash bags of popcorn which we proceeded to dump into Mercedes. 

Caused a huge ruckus among the theater management, and lots of joy among theater employees. I'm pretty sure they had a good idea of who did it, but they were never able to pin it on us - we were never even directly accused.  I noted that every time I delivered to that office building after that, the Mercedes had its top up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

12 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

My car has a one foot tall snow hat.

Pix ?

But don’t go out in the cold for no purpose other than to snap one. 

:ik_oops:

One time my truck was found to be wearing one of those. I use a Nylon Bristle Pushbroom to shove most of it into the bed of the truck. (I figured every little bit of weight back there would help.)

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Please clean snow hats off before driving...

So much this.  It's dangerous to other drivers (can also be to you), and in a growing number of places you can get in trouble with law enforcement (here it's a ticket) 

In case pics aren't provided, here's the snow hat my work truck had a while back...  Few weeks ago I think.. 

Oh, I didn't take a pic of the hat, just how much snow was around it... Boo. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Please clean snow hats off before driving...

Why would you want to do that?  Isn't it just *so* much fun to be in the below situation??

Spoiler

image.png.9afb8d98de7dbe57281ca32eb9cb9670.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

IMG_2161.thumb.JPG.6ac4e3814134af3307f29bce1ed8d694.JPG

Hubby pointed out that it's less a snow hat and more an early 90's flat top. 

And don't worry, I have no intention of driving that car to work. It's got a snow drift behind it. And hubby is really good at cleaning our soul off before I drive, so no snow hats on that one.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

ugh - well this could get awkward. 

Just got a call from a site that went down hard. Will probably need parts, but too late to ship parts today. Parts will have to ship tomorrow, which means they'll arrive Wednesday evening, and site will need help installing them on Thursday morning.  While I'm at my FiL's funeral.  At a church about 1 mile from the site. 

Definitely not telling anyone the location of the funeral now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

28 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

IMG_2161.thumb.JPG.6ac4e3814134af3307f29bce1ed8d694.JPG

Hubby pointed out that it's less a snow hat and more an early 90's flat top. 

And don't worry, I have no intention of driving that car to work. It's got a snow drift behind it. And hubby is really good at cleaning our soul off before I drive, so no snow hats on that one.

It's honestly verging on a snow-mullet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

16 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

It's honestly verging on a snow-mullet.

It's  getting worse... it's become a snow pompadour ::o:

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I hate packing peanuts.  I hate how they're styrofoam, how they blow around in the lightest of breezes, and static cling to everything.  I generally refuse to use them, and I get super annoyed when a customer or company uses them to ship something to me. 

As much as I hate them, I don't throw them away when I get them.  They should be reused, rather than being buried in a landfill for a couple centuries (or worse, blowing away from the trash truck, or the landfill itself.  So I stick them in a bag in the garage. 

So how do I get rid of them?   

I use them to package things for customers who annoy me.  I will even pack things in a large box than necessary, just to use more packing peanuts for those sorts. 

Today I got to fill almost an entire FedEx Large box with them. :devil:

Tomorrow, I will be able to imagine someone in Utah getting annoyed that they are having to dig through styrofoam peanuts once again just to get the part they ordered. 

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Agreed.

It is especially annoying when they are either to lazy or stupid inept to either bag or inner box the product so you have the elfing broccoli peanuts clinging to the actual merchandise.

It's actually not as bad as it used to be as much of the newly manufactured peanuts are made of a plant based and water soluble material that will break down easily.

GEM

Pictures?

GEM

I think that there are some recycling centers that might have use for old packing peanuts, but that will significantly depend on your region. And yes, new ones are water soluble! They're still annoying, but they aren't an onerous waste. 

• Like 7

Hmmm.... Megan has my entire undead army spread out on the table....

And is cataloging them all by weapon and armor.....

While playing Morthond as she does so....

While she is supposedly working on her Eberron game....

Where we are going to Karrnath, a military dictatorship that used undead in the Last War.

Because said military dictator is having problems with a necromantic cult....

Nope! Not at all worried! ::D:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

19 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Managed to get some hobbying in tonight, and came up with an interesting observation . I'm reverse engineering the CAV Wight into a very blocky mannequin to determine its final pose before I start cutting. I need to have it broken up into the pieces that I think I'll need, so I'm measuring then roughly building each piece in FreeCAD. Did the pelvis and each thigh last night, and did the two feet this evening. I put in little holes in all of those parts so I can get an axial alignment for the assembly constraint between two pieces. Then, I put in a planar constraint along that axis to get it aligned left/right on the figure. The final constraint is an angle between two surfaces of the parts, so that I can control the rotation of the joint around that first axial alignment. This way, I can move the legs and feet with respect to the pelvis to get everything in the positions I want.

Thing is, I'm wasn't trying to replicate the original pose of the figure just yet. Just needed to get all the parts put in, and select some obvious surfaces that I can eyeball to get angles about right. I can then play with things. And that when I noticed something.

It can't stand upright! At all!

If you look at the figure, front to back, the inboard toe of each foot almost reaches to the other leg. If the figure was standing still, with each leg parallel to the other, the toes would overlap. Now obviously, the figure looks "correct" with a set of symmetrical toes about the center of the foot. But if one was to build the vehicle in real life, it would constantly be stepping on its own toes, or have to always have one foot in front of the other.

Now I've got a conundrum. Will my lil' engineer brain be able to ignore this massive design flaw, by either saying that's the way the figure is, or by retconning in some articulated toes that are spread for running, but fold in for standing?! Or will my lil' engineer brain force itself to come up with some solution to make things work?! I could cut off the inner toe completely. I could reposition the toes to make them look articulated. I could shorten them, so they don't interfere. I'm really going to have to ponder this quite a bit!

I have problems with nearly every giant mecha that I have ever seen.

Mecha make no sense to me at all, at all.

With Battletech earning a special place in regards to bad design. 'Let us put the pilot in the least[/i armored part of the vehicle! And for extra funsies, let's make it the first part to come over the horizon! ::D: '

I can sort of live with smaller mechs - Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg - where the intent is to have a squad support vehicle that can operate in broken terrain. (And, in Gear Krieg - they aren't even all that reliable! They were invented by the Germans because they weren't covered by the Versailles Treaty. I can live with that.)

The Auld Grump - I can also kind of buy them for steampunk - mecha in a steampunk setting date back to the old Edisonade 'The Huge Hunter, or The Steam Man of the Prairies' (1868).

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7

I made the most meaty spaghetti sauce I think I ever have just now. It's different from what I'm used to. Usually I throw in a pound of sweet Italian sausage. This time I threw that in as well as half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of ground pork. It's good. But it's definitely not my usual sauce.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3