Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

5 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have problems with nearly every giant mecha that I have ever seen.

Mecha make no sense to me at all, at all.

With Battletech earning a special place in regards to bad design. 'Let us put the pilot in the least armored part of the vehicle! And for extra funsies, let's make it the first part to come over the horizon! ::D: '

I can sort of live with smaller mechs - Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg - where the intent is to have a squad support vehicle that can operate in broken terrain. (And, in Gear Krieg - they aren't even all that reliable! They were invented by the Germans because they weren't covered by the Versailles Treaty. I can live with that.)

The Auld Grump - I can also kind of buy them for steampunk - mecha in a steampunk setting date back to the old Edisonade 'The Huge Hunter, or The Steam Man of the Prairies' (1868).

This is why I have a fondness for 'mechs with digitigrade legs. Way easier to disappear into the landscape. Or the nearest Giant Heat Sink (also known as large body of water). 

Them man-shaped things is just silly. <.<

That having been said, I would like a game in the setting with less emphasis on the giant stompy 'bots, plz. :/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I made the most meaty spaghetti sauce I think I ever have just now. It's different from what I'm used to. Usually I throw in a pound of sweet Italian sausage. This time I threw that in as well as half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of ground pork. It's good. But it's definitely not my usual sauce.

Sounds yummy...

Chicken Chili for me tonight.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

With Battletech earning a special place in regards to bad design. 'Let us put the pilot in the least[/i armored part of the vehicle! And for extra funsies, let's make it the first part to come over the horizon! ::D: '

I can sort of live with smaller mechs - Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg - where the intent is to have a squad support vehicle that can operate in broken terrain. (And, in Gear Krieg - they aren't even all that reliable! They were invented by the Germans because they weren't covered by the Versailles Treaty. I can live with that.)

The Auld Grump - I can also kind of buy them for steampunk - mecha in a steampunk setting date back to the old Edisonade 'The Huge Hunter, or The Steam Man of the Prairies' (1868).

Yea, mechs in general are dumb. But they also super awesome and so I don't care. I know that Gundams, my favorite mechs, are entirely impossible. For example, the original Gundam from the 1979 series is supposed to be 60 feet tall, packs as much power as a battleship, can't be damaged by normal tanks, is incredibly resistant to the weapons of other mecha, and yet is supposed to only weigh 60 tons when fully loaded with all its weapons. Which is ridiculous. A modern MBT weighs more than that and is much smaller, far less powerful, and way more susceptible to damage. Just one leg of the Gundam should weigh at least that much by itself. But I still love my Gundams and I wish they were real and technically feasible.

Just like how I wish cyberpunk brain-computer interfaces and fully integrated cybernetics were real. Because who needs VR goggles when you can just plug your brain into a computer and really "live" it? And who needs traditional education when you can just download skillsets that are able to be swapped out on the fly by inserting the equivalent of an SD card into your cyborg brain? Want to be a mathmetician? Download the entirety of the world's knowledge of mathematics into your skull and start working on finding new stuff using your savant level skills to work with everyone else doing the same thing. Could you imagine how quickly humanity could advance if that was possible? The biggest problem would be making sure that the new knowledge could still be used without a brain chip...

• Like 10

So I’ve been watching  PbP game that’s kind of fun (stereotypical cute anime characters thrust into a mostly played-straight Aztec apocalypse - the catgirl keeps getting mistaken for a sacred jaguar-person), except I keep getting cognitive dissonance because one of the PCs has what is clearly supposed to be a fantasy name which is a minor variation on my childhood nickname for my very unusual name.

How to put this? Hmm, say your name is something quite unusual, like, say Aitziber, and your nickname as a kid was Dzibi, and then this game character in this game you’re following shows up with the name Zibi. 

It’s a little like that.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

It's actually not as bad as it used to be as much of the newly manufactured peanuts are made of a plant based and water soluble material that will break down easily.

GEM

I know they tried making them out of corn starch ~15 years ago. They weren't that good.

No flavor at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

On 2/10/2019 at 5:52 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

As others have already said, it’s more about the troll than the owlbear.

Since I’m still waiting on my troll I don’t know how valid the complaints are.

From what I’ve seen on Facebook, biggest complaint seems to be gaps on where the arms meet the shoulders, followed by mold lines, followed by legs being slightly bent so the feet won’t fit properly on the footprints on the base.

The mold lines on mine don't seem to be anything out of the ordinary for a plastic piece, but it does suffer from crappy gluing and bent legs...

19 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

On a related subject:

WARNING!  Not for those of extremely delicate sensibilities:

I am utterly amazed that no one has put something like that in the Box O' Goodwill yet...

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm.... Megan has my entire undead army spread out on the table....

And is cataloging them all by weapon and armor.....

While playing Morthond as she does so....

While she is supposedly working on her Eberron game....

Where we are going to Karrnath, a military dictatorship that used undead in the Last War.

Because said military dictator is having problems with a necromantic cult....

Nope! Not at all worried! ::D:

The Auld Grump

c48ed4ee395660c859c9ef6e461609974e72a766

The advantage of having a hubby that plays an undead army! :;,;:

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

I made the most meaty spaghetti sauce I think I ever have just now. It's different from what I'm used to. Usually I throw in a pound of sweet Italian sausage. This time I threw that in as well as half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of ground pork. It's good. But it's definitely not my usual sauce.

That sounds good!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

And yes, new ones are water soluble! They're still annoying, but they aren't an onerous waste. 

The new ones that break down with water aren't as bad as the styrofoam ones.  At a car wash, they still suck though, because they will still blow away, at least until they hit a damp surface (of which there are many at a car wash,) and then stick to something.  One of the funniest things I ever saw was an attendant opening a box with a part or something in it that used those packing peanuts, and the wind picked them up and blew them all over a customer's freshly washed car.  

I mean, it was a car wash, so all he had to do was wash the car again (at the site's expense), but it was funny to me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

With Battletech earning a special place in regards to bad design. 'Let us put the pilot in the least[/i armored part of the vehicle! And for extra funsies, let's make it the first part to come over the horizon! ::D: '

Relic Knights is worse.

The pilots are completely exposed.

In more ways than one. :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My wife walked up to me while I was cooking dinner, spaghetti from scratch, and said:

"Thank You for showing up at our wedding."

-

Momentary confusion - then a wide grin on my face as I said Thank You! :wub::wub::wub:

GEM

Still feeling warm fuzzies and the dinner dishes are now soaking ::):::):::):

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

This is why I have a fondness for 'mechs with digitigrade legs. Way easier to disappear into the landscape. Or the nearest Giant Heat Sink (also known as large body of water). 

That having been said, I would like a game in the setting with less emphasis on the giant stompy 'bots, plz. :/

They have their moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCppUtS9vLk&amp;ytbChannel=null

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:
2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

They have their moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCppUtS9vLk&amp;ytbChannel=null

... Y'know, those power lines.... I bet a Cauldron Born could slide under those? <.<

• Like 5

I had the opportunity to flee work early.

Not because the IRS decided to close the building. But because my manager was also leaving early and knows hypocrisy leads to low morale.

• Like 16