Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I discovered that the folks at Heroic Maps designed the Smirking Dragon RPG Tablecloth that we have on our KoW table. (And sometimes just as a tablecloth....)

 

The Auld Grump

 

I need to stop browsing DTRPG. Every time I go there, I find something by Heroic Maps or Dave Graffam that I absolutely NEED. I don't even play RPGs that much!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed the oil in my car after having put it off for a while. I'd put it off because there's a splash guard that covers the oil pan and filter, and which I had read was fastened with some stupid plastic clips that broke easily. Well, when I finally got to it, out of 8 connection points there were only 2 of those clips. And taking them off was easy. Putting them back on was the problem, and as soon as I figured it out I realized that the people complaining about them breaking were trying to force them rather than actually trying to figure it out. Sure, it took me a couple minutes and more than a few tries to get them in right, as opposed to 10 seconds for the other 6 screws, but it wasn't hard.

 

The worst part of changing my oil was taking off the filter. It was the factory filter, and that thing was screwed on so tightly that my strap wrench was worthless and I had to find a pipe wrench. And then I had to half crush the thing in the jaws of said pipe wrench in order to get it to break free. It took me 15 minutes to take off the filter. It should never take 15 minutes to take off an oil filter. But that won't be a problem ever again, because I buy K&N Gold filters when I do my oil, and they have a 1/2 inch nut welded to the end of the filter so all you need is a regular wrench or a ratchet and you're good to go.

 

Tomorrow I think I'll clean out the interior of my car after I take my waste oil to the auto parts store for disposal. I'm also gonna make pulled pork for D&D tomorrow night. Got a 4.5lb pork sirloin thawing out as I type this. Gonna rub it down with some chili powder, paprika, and a few other spices, throw it in the crock pot, and let it cook for about 10 hours.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Just got angry at a fireplace sales guy for wasting my time.  Don't just keep saying, "They're two completely different products," when I'm trying to ascertain what my total cost is going to be for a specific one of them.  If you can't explain whether it's an additional cost or a replacement cost then maybe don't sell stuff for a living.  So sick of older men who assume that they can make all my decisions for me. 

Now just calm down little Missy, old Kevin here will tell you what you need to do...

[ducks and runs for my life...]

  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Sigh... the waiting game continues on getting financing for the new house...

Hopefully thee air won't be too much longer :) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Changed the oil in my car after having put it off for a while. I'd put it off because there's a splash guard that covers the oil pan and filter, and which I had read was fastened with some stupid plastic clips that broke easily. Well, when I finally got to it, out of 8 connection points there were only 2 of those clips. And taking them off was easy. Putting them back on was the problem, and as soon as I figured it out I realized that the people complaining about them breaking were trying to force them rather than actually trying to figure it out. Sure, it took me a couple minutes and more than a few tries to get them in right, as opposed to 10 seconds for the other 6 screws, but it wasn't hard.

 

The worst part of changing my oil was taking off the filter. It was the factory filter, and that thing was screwed on so tightly that my strap wrench was worthless and I had to find a pipe wrench. And then I had to half crush the thing in the jaws of said pipe wrench in order to get it to break free. It took me 15 minutes to take off the filter. It should never take 15 minutes to take off an oil filter. But that won't be a problem ever again, because I buy K&N Gold filters when I do my oil, and they have a 1/2 inch nut welded to the end of the filter so all you need is a regular wrench or a ratchet and you're good to go.

You underestimate the powers of an auto mechanic.  I've gotten cars back with the filter on so tight that the welded nut shears off the filter!  As long as you're doing it yourself your fine, when it come to others: anything that can be used to loosen a fitting can be used to tighten it.

 

8 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Sigh... the waiting game continues on getting financing for the new house...

Continuing to wish you luck

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

 

Not much good for headaches though; unless you have a poptop skull, application is a problem.

 

 

Hmm. Drill bit, a tap, and the appropriate plug should do it. Step in to my garage and I'll fix ya up right quick!

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

 

Hmm. Drill bit, a tap, and the appropriate plug should do it. Step in to my garage and I'll fix ya up right quick!

"Paging Dr. Finklestein.  Dr. Finklestein you are wanted in Surgery."

GEM

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Why are men's clothes always so much comfier than women's? :steals husband's new socks:

:ph34r:   We don’t care if we look fashionable or not?  We don’t care if there’s some extra holes in what we're wearing, it still beats new, but uncomfortable. We. Don’t. Care.  :ph34r:

 

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

Hm. Priming up a copy of 03913: Cailleach Deargh, River Widow and the details are really soft and mushy, especially on the face. Most unusual. Is that normal for this sculpt, or might I have an unusually blurry one?

 

(This priming is the thinnest possible layers of Titanium White and a wash of Burnt Umber ... It's not thick paint.)

DSC_0147-03913-Cailleach-Deargh-River-Widow-very-mushy-details.jpg.99852a8797ec4d3ebaa13cdacd0766e6.jpg

Get some two-part epoxy, slap a bandana up to the eye sockets, call it good. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

 

Hmm. Drill bit, a tap, and the appropriate plug should do it. Step in to my garage and I'll fix ya up right quick!

 

Ah, trepanning! It's the oldest form of surgery, with examples dating back to the Neolithic. It's true. And it still has modern medical use! It's used to relieve pressure inside the skull, although in modern times we replace the bit of skull that was removed when it's all over.

 

37 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

You underestimate the powers of an auto mechanic.  I've gotten cars back with the filter on so tight that the welded nut shears off the filter!  As long as you're doing it yourself your fine, when it come to others: anything that can be used to loosen a fitting can be used to tighten it.

 

Oh, I know. That's part of the reason I hate when I get my car inspected or have new tires put on. They use an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts, which both over tightens them, and has a high risk of stripping the studs because the impact wrench doesn't care if a nut is cross threaded. It'll just power right through it. And then it costs me $300 to fix it, because to replace a stud in my car requires pressing out the wheel bearing and the shop that did it says "well how do you know we did it? We did that work 3 months ago, you could have done it to it yourself!" Because I'm in the habit of taking my tires off all the time, don't you know, and not just when they need rotated.

 

Also, I don't trust other people to change my oil. Even going full synthetic and using one of the best filters on the market only costs me about $15-20 more than having someone else do it for me, and then I know I'm getting quality materials because I'm the one buying them and putting them on. Most shops use the cheapest stuff available, and who knows if they're actually putting in the synthetic when you pay the extra charge for it. I go with synthetic for a reason, and that reason is longer oil life and easier starts. My car has an oil change schedule of about 12k miles at manufacturer specs. I know a regional head mechanic for a trucking company that says they run their trucks on synthetic for 15k between changes, and none of their samples they've sent off for testing have ever tested bad after that much, but most conventional oils will. So if a dirty diesel dump truck hauling heavy materials can run 15k on synthetics, my little eco compact should be able to run that much no problem if I can't change the oil when the time comes.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hopefully thee air won't be too much longer :) 

 

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Continuing to wish you luck

 

Thanks to both of you. The really annoying part is that the bank had said we should have the approval two days ago and now it's after 4pm on a Friday...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Unruly said:

 

Ah, trepanning! It's the oldest form of surgery, with examples dating back to the Neolithic. It's true. And it still has modern medical use! It's used to relieve pressure inside the skull, although in modern times we replace the bit of skull that was removed when it's all over.

 

 

Oh, I know. That's part of the reason I hate when I get my car inspected or have new tires put on. They use an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts, which both over tightens them, and has a high risk of stripping the studs because the impact wrench doesn't care if a nut is cross threaded. It'll just power right through it. And then it costs me $300 to fix it, because to replace a stud in my car requires pressing out the wheel bearing and the shop that did it says "well how do you know we did it? We did that work 3 months ago, you could have done it to it yourself!" Because I'm in the habit of taking my tires off all the time, don't you know, and not just when they need rotated.

 

Also, I don't trust other people to change my oil. Even going full synthetic and using one of the best filters on the market only costs me about $15-20 more than having someone else do it for me, and then I know I'm getting quality materials because I'm the one buying them and putting them on. Most shops use the cheapest stuff available, and who knows if they're actually putting in the synthetic when you pay the extra charge for it. I go with synthetic for a reason, and that reason is longer oil life and easier starts. My car has an oil change schedule of about 12k miles at manufacturer specs. I know a regional head mechanic for a trucking company that says they run their trucks on synthetic for 15k between changes, and none of their samples they've sent off for testing have ever tested bad after that much, but most conventional oils will. So if a dirty diesel dump truck hauling heavy materials can run 15k on synthetics, my little eco compact should be able to run that much no problem if I can't change the oil when the time comes.

The biggest killer of engines and oil is short trip usage.  When the oil doesn't have time to come up to full operating temperature it doesn't boil off the moisture that accumulates as part of the cooling down process.  That moisture combines with the sulfur compounds in the oil to make sulfuric acid, the killer of engines.  The highly refined low-sulfur oils and fuels used nowadays go a long ways towards the extended engine life we enjoy today.

Commercial engines can tolerate longer oil change intervals because they don't go through as many start-stop-cooldown-restart cycles as the typical private vehicle.

When I was driving long-haul the trucks were on a 30 to 45 day cycle for oil/filter changes.  Much of the service was in dusty conditions as a lot of the materials hauled were cement powder and other finely ground industrial materials, from mine to industrial customer.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
typo monster snuck one in on me
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

The really annoying part is that the bank had said we should have the approval two days ago and now it's after 4pm on a Friday...

 

You would think, with the recent royal commission and all, that they would have their act together a little better than this! :grr: 

 

I really hope you hear from them soon.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Unruly said:

 

Also, I don't trust other people to change my oil. Even going full synthetic and using one of the best filters on the market only costs me about $15-20 more than having someone else do it for me, and then I know I'm getting quality materials because I'm the one buying them and putting them on. Most shops use the cheapest stuff available, and who knows if they're actually putting in the synthetic when you pay the extra charge for it. I go with synthetic for a reason, and that reason is longer oil life and easier starts. My car has an oil change schedule of about 12k miles at manufacturer specs. I know a regional head mechanic for a trucking company that says they run their trucks on synthetic for 15k between changes, and none of their samples they've sent off for testing have ever tested bad after that much, but most conventional oils will. So if a dirty diesel dump truck hauling heavy materials can run 15k on synthetics, my little eco compact should be able to run that much no problem if I can't change the oil when the time comes.

There are so many studies on this and they say many things.  It's hard to believe any of them because of who commissioned the study and because so many laboratories these days are more concerned with proving their client correct rather than testing the theory and the ones that are testing the theory get their negative results suppressed.  My history of driving ancient vehicles into the ground says that you can easily go 12k miles on synthetic in either city or highway traffic for 100k miles and have no appreciable wear on the engine from the oil... as long as the filter gets changed every 6k or so.  Most of my driving career has been starting with cars in the 100k range and driving them to the 200k-240k mark before selling them for about what I bought them for.

 

The only exceptions were due to foolishness with the cooling system. (Like not telling me that the shop left the coolant cap off the radiator and refilling the system with water... in November.  We had that car for 280k miles and I to this day believe someone just wanted s new car.) 

 

Today's cars are modern miracles she it comes to longitivity.  When I started working on cars it was expected that you would have to rebuild an engine every 100k.  These days it's around 300k.  Brakes were 30k now Its around 80k. It is that way with everything on them, the equipment is just that much better.  Which is weird because the rest of the car has gone in the opposite direction and supposedly  permanent equipment (visors, door handles, gas caps, etc) seems to fall apart the day after the warrantee expires.

 

22 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

 

 

Thanks to both of you. The really annoying part is that the bank had said we should have the approval two days ago and now it's after 4pm on a Friday...

Another reason i hate moving.  Youbwousk think with the rules getting tighter, the process would be smoother.  Hang in there!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

There are so many studies on this and they say many things.  It's hard to believe any of them because of who commissioned the study and because so many laboratories these days are more concerned with proving their client correct rather than testing the theory and the ones that are testing the theory get their negative results suppressed.  My history of driving ancient vehicles into the ground says that you can easily go 12k miles on synthetic in either city or highway traffic for 100k miles and have no appreciable wear on the engine from the oil... as long as the filter gets changed every 6k or so.  Most of my driving career has been starting with cars in the 100k range and driving them to the 200k-240k mark before selling them for about what I bought them for.

 

The only exceptions were due to foolishness with the cooling system. (Like not telling me that the shop left the coolant cap off the radiator and refilling the system with water... in November.  We had that car for 280k miles and I to this day believe someone just wanted s new car.) 

 

Today's cars are modern miracles she it comes to longitivity.  When I started working on cars it was expected that you would have to rebuild an engine every 100k.  These days it's around 300k.  Brakes were 30k now Its around 80k. It is that way with everything on them, the equipment is just that much better.  Which is weird because the rest of the car has gone in the opposite direction and supposedly  permanent equipment (visors, door handles, gas caps, etc) seems to fall apart the day after the warrantee expires.

 

Well, I trust my mechanic friend when he says the oil tests as good, because it's not being paid for by one of the manufacturers. It's being paid for by the trucking company and sent off to a lab for analysis that way. As for filters, I've never replaced my filter outside of an oil change. But then, my car's maintenance schedule doesn't have that as part of it, and one of the things I've read from various sources is "when in doubt, trust the manufacturer" when it comes to oil. Of course some of those same people will experiment with different oil weights to see which ones give them proper oil pressure across all usage ranges, but those guys race. They aren't driving those cars as a daily driver, so when they're going up or down in oil weight they're aiming for a specific oil pressure at specific rev ranges to maximize engine performance in ways that I really don't care about.

 

One thing I was really surprised about with the old model of this car, the one I wrecked, was that it had an actual timing chain and not a belt. When I hit 80k in it I started thinking about replacing the timing belt, since that's generally when you want to swap it out to be on the safe side, and when I did some research I found out that it was a chain. Which meant that unless something went terribly wrong it should have been good for something like 200k or more. I'm hoping that the 2018 model still has a chain as well, but it's got a different engine. It's still a Honda L15 series engine, but it's now dual cam instead of single and it's got direct injection instead of multi-point. I doubt that either of those would be cause for a change from timing chain to timing belt, but you never know when it comes to trying to cut costs.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×