Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

12 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I wish I could find Benny Hill episodes to stream

Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=benny+hill+episodes+(full+length)

11 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Trying not to worry about Thursday.

Thursday is the meeting about whether the Pagan-Unitarian (formerly just pagan, until just a few years ago) retreat will continue.

The couple that had been running it are both quitting, and getting a divorce.

She wanted children.

He didn't.

And he took surgical steps to assure that there wouldn't be children - telling her that he was getting an operation for a 'hernia' about five years ago.

Last week she found out.

They were the only two salaried officers of the retreat. Everyone else is either being given a single payment for each retreat, or are volunteering their time.

I have hopes that it will continue - but it puts the ball entirely into the Unitarian's side of the court.

And... we need to make the decision this week - preregistration should have just begun this week - so we are already just a bit behind schedule.

Gods above and below, I love people....

The Auld Grump - I am one of the Unitarians - we need more pagans on the board for the pagan retreat. The board had three pagans (one of whom is also a Unitarian), three Unitarians (one of whom is also a pagan), and two unaffiliated.

Wow, that's one way to win an argument...

Without telling even, not good...

• Like 6

Still alive. Move has turned into a recreation of the Bataan Death March. Hopefully, it'll be over soon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 13

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Still alive. Move has turned into a recreation of the Bataan Death March. Hopefully, it'll be over soon.

Good luck!

Hang in there Brother Wolf!

• Like 7

Spiffy. I managed to eat my shrimp scampi without getting it all over myself. 

Yay for minor victories!

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

I have the day off to watch Brutus.

He is doing well.

Now lunch, this afternoon my girl's parents will visit so I made a sticky toffee cake...

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

On Jury Duty: my poor wife has wanted to be on a jury for decades [don't ask me why] but everytime they got to her she would be asked her occupation, then her spouses. Once they heard I worked for the Department of Corrections, they couldn't wait to release her. I retired in 2017 so when she got called again, she was excited as she told them I was retired. Then the Defense Attorney asked what from...…..EXCUSED! 

She was really fired up!

7 hours ago, paintybeard said:

One of the benefits of being in the Merchant Navy is that I am exempt from Jury Service. So I'll probably get called the day I retire.<_<

My wife got called in the mid 1990's for jury service in a smuggling case (aka "VAT fraud" in UK.) It lasted 9 MONTHS. It didn't do either of us any good for peace of mind.

6 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

My dad's been on three juries. In Los Angeles during the 80s and 90s. They were all gang-related murders.

His biggest complaint was that the jurors got plenty of protection inside the courthouse and all the way to the parking garage. But not inside the parking garage where it's much easier to hang around being nefarious <_<

Still, it got him out of work. Work was more stressful for him at that time :blink:

3 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

My grandad was on Jury duty as a young man- I can’t remember exactly how old but he hadn’t had my mum yet. Anyway he loved it, I suspect the pay/reimbursement was better back then, his trial was fraud or embezzlement or something and lasted the better part of a year. I’ve never been called, and other than my grandad don’t know anyone who has!

During college I was called up for jury duty every year like clockwork. I remember because the first summons came in the middle of winter quarter and I begged to be deferred until summer break. My deferred summons came next July, and then as I wasn’t picked for a jury another came a year later, and then another a year after that.

It was so regular I thought maybe something was off the first year I didn’t get called.

I’m not sure if the family member exception is a myth or not. One of my relatives was confident none of us would ever get picked for jury duty owing to having a trial lawyer in the family, but that did not seem to be a disqualifier.

I did see people come up with all sorts of excuses to get out of jury duty, only some of which had results. Our municipality pays jurors for their time, but it really is a pittance, not even enough to cover an hour of parking downtown. 

After a few years I began to be called less frequently, but still regularly enough to be familiar with the routine. I only managed to get as far as the actual selection process (file into a courtroom and get questioned one by one until they have enough for a jury) three or four times, and only got picked for a jury once.

Ironically, I was picked when I was unknowingly suffering from food poisoning and looked like a zombie apocalypse survivor. I was much better by the next day. It was a quick case involving real estate and the economic crash at the end of W’s second term, rather interesting, as were the other members of the jury. The hardest part was not talking about it.

I’ve been called twice since then, so the pace has slowed down a good bit.

• Like 7

Hubby's tactic to get out of jury duty is to bluntly tell them that he already thinks so-and-so looks guilty af :lol: He doesn't much care for the process. 

I've never made it as far as the selection process, but I think I wouldn't try to get dismissed. It'd make for a nice break from customer service :rolleyes:

• Like 7

So, I'll probably have to find legal counsel to discuss what my chance of success are with pressing charges against a private company working on a public enterprise's mandate for their use of what should be considered economic duress tactics (which may actually be mandated by the public enterprise).

My chronic orthopedic problem, which finally seemed fully under control, suddenly flaming up again is almost certainly a psycho-somatic reaction to that. Unfortunately, knowing that doesn't seem to be a particularly effective pain killer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

I've had to testify in court many times [twice as an expert witness even] and it can be very "entertaining". Between really scared victims, douche bags [both clients and attorneys] and the testimonies given, it can get really bizarre at times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Tonight is going somewhat better. Of course, I've got a house full of (smexy) firefighters, so I suspect that if someone was in the lobby screaming at us they'd get shut down pretty quick. For drunk guys, the firefighters are really nice. 

Yeah, firefighters tend to have that lovely appeal as eye candy, don't they? ^_^;;;;;

We've had firefighters in our building semi-regularly due to various things - deaf tenant sets off smoke detector, and doesn't realize it because the ones in our suites don't flash, a water leak dripped into one in the laundry room and set it off, someone overloaded a washer and the belt smoked, etc...  For years it was always the same chief, until one day...  It wasn't Fox responding. 

Turns out the usual chief that responded to our building's electrical problems wound up retiring in 2016.  The good kind of retire.  Kinda miss him, but apparently he'd put something like 35 years of service in, so I can definitely understand the desire to retire on your own terms. 

Apparently there were stories at the local fire hall about a person who's calls to 911 fire dispatch started with "I suspect it's a false alarm, but we're unable to confirm and don't want to risk ignoring an actual fire".  Yup, that was my usual line, and occasionally fire fighters would inquire about it but the biggest thing they'd always point out is that since I couldn't confirm if there wasn't a fire, and smoke detectors wouldn't stop (and we couldn't get in to verify / tenants weren't home), that it was the right choice to make.  They'd rather respond to a false alarm (and give the all clear five minutes later) than have something be ignored and show up to a roaring inferno that's had time to build up. 

I also wound up catching them at the start of their shift in the middle of summer when I called in a smoke detector going off in an abandoned house (well, it had been sold for infill) and we could smell burning wood too.  They were surprised when they saw me and it wasn't our apartment building (again), and wasn't like 22:00/late o'clock..  Turned out it was a low battery alarm combined with several neighbours having just started campfires. 

• Like 9

had a game of startrek rpg fail last night in the most bizarre way.

Spoiler

We had found a planet that had a ring of phase cannons pointed down at the surface, which were being run remotely from a planet elsewhere in the system. there were orions claiming that they own the system, having bought it from the bankrupt corporate oligarchy that had previously run the place. They were abducting the planet's inhabitants to use as slaves.

We found a pretext to get into a fight with them, and run off their ships. inside the corporate headquarters we found that they had legally bought the corp, but then they started using illegal ceti alpha mind worms in their slave operation. so we shove the orions in the brig. So far so good.

Then our captain gave the corp assets back to the oligarchs. including the ring of canons. that they had built to try and extort an unpayable debt out of the planet.

which is... terrible. And like the least starfleet captain thing I can think of.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh wow...  Then again, I suspect being the spouse of someone that was in that line of work for so many years tends to colour their perspective, at least in a judge's eyes.

Probably more in the eyes of the defense attorney. 

I tend to get dismissed by the prosecuting attorneys when I get called - finally figured out it was because I was making it a point to show I could be fair and impartial when answering their questions.  The attorney's on both sides don't want fair and impartial.  They want people that are predisposed to their side already.  The one time I did sit on a jury, it was for a mortgage fraud case involving an undocumented immigrant, and the only reason I ended up on the jury is that both attorneys had people they wanted to get rid of more than me.   

That case changed my whole perspective on the immigration problem here in the US. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I've had to testify in court many times [twice as an expert witness even] and it can be very "entertaining". Between really scared victims, douche bags [both clients and attorneys] and the testimonies given, it can get really bizarre at times.

I got to see a very, very angry architect testify about his signature being forged on inspections and guarantees about a vintage property.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I got to see a very, very angry architect testify about his signature being forged on inspections and guarantees about a vintage property.

I got to see a defendant get on the stand and erase just about all doubt as to her guilt. 

If she hadn't taken the stand, we _might_ have convicted her on one count of the six she was charged with. After her testimony,  we had no doubt she was guilty of four of the charges, the discussion came down to the remaining two charges - and we wound up splitting the difference on those two. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

That is addressed and dealt with under Murphy's Law.

GEM

Take the kids with you when you report for jury duty.

It will be an education for the kids and when you inform the court that they will be coming with you every day the school is closed due to weather you will probably be dismissed.  Unless of course the Court has Child Care facilities available.

GEM

*Has mental image of Red playing with building blocks in the court's day care center.*

The Auld Grump - it... doesn't seem that unlikely. ::P:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8