Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

40 minutes ago, Wyvernfire said:

Look at quilt shops in your area or online, almost every one I've been to has a nice kid/baby section and I've found some nice dragons and other fantasy themes there. They'll mostly be in cotton or flannel. 

Oh! Yes! Quiltmaking facbrics are amazing, if you’re okay with plain cotton fabric.

I once made a pair of overlls for the baby of a friend who edits in the science fiction field. I found a lovely print of flying saucers and astronausts as if drawn by a child with colored chalks on a blackboard.

I still have drawstring gift bags made from an anime-style print.

• Like 11

Addendum to Jack's last post...

Jack now has a sinus infection, but not in his sinuses. It's migrated up to his right eye, as his tend to do. And so my right eye is all puffed up and goopy and runny. :rolleyes:

Contemplating calling out on Monday, because my hands are also shredded - the cardboard dries out my skin and the edges give me dozens of small paper cuts, so bits of skin always end up getting all scaly and rough, and eventually catching on things and getting torn off, or torn off by me to stop it from happening. The result being that I an literally working my fingers off since I'm missing large patches of flesh on them.

Jack needs to have a discussion with one of the bosses about getting another guy on the boxmaker during first shift and training a second shift guy, neither of which the bosses seemed inclined to do, but Jack just can't be pulling double-digit overtime anymore. :zombie:

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Oh dear,  how many exploded?  that is one gooey lump of dough!  Especially if you used the classic recipe of boiling them in lye water first!  That would taste especially awful!

Lye? Gosh. My husband uses baking soda and sugar in the boiling water. The bagels come out pretty tasty.

• Like 7

Cotton is the best. Versitile, cleanable, and with so many different prints. Unfortunately, the local quilt store with all the amazing fabric closed a couple years ago ::(: :sigh: there's still joann's -_-

• Like 6

In less explody or flesh-rending news, lol, a woman has discovered a chimera cardinal, with half-male and half-female coloration... :bday:

LINK

image.png.eb6bb8cdf6075cb5c0dda9a4d5d3e241.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

In less explody or flesh-rending news, lol, a woman has discovered a chimera cardinal, with half-male and half-female coloration... :bday:

LINK

image.png.eb6bb8cdf6075cb5c0dda9a4d5d3e241.png

Wow, that’s cool! 

I followed the links, and it appears this isn’t just coloration, but a genuine gynandromorph,  a creature with both male and female tissues, often split right down the body into a left half and a right half.

Gynandromorphism happens to insects, arthropods, and birds. There are some striking photos of butterflies, the kind where the males and females look very different, with one set of male wings and one of female.

Since this happens to birds, I wonder if it happened to dinosaurs.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 8

We used to have a great fabric store right near my work, when I was more inclined to make things I was always picking up “scraps” and sewing up simple dresses for my friends and their kids from there! Unfortunately it closed down and became a Taco Bell, even more unfortunately I still visit there just as much...

There is another fabric store in town but it’s more expensive, further away and full of very condescending staff... I rarely visit. I do keep meaning to go though as I would like to rifle through the scraps for something cool to make a new dicebag from! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Wow, that’s cool! 

I followed the links, and it appears this isn’t just coloration, but a genuine gynandromorph,  a creature with both male and female tissues, often split right down the body into a left half and a right half.

Gynandromorphism happens to insects, arthropods, and birds. There are some striking photos of butterflies, the kind where the males and females look very different, with one set of male wings and one of female.

Since this happens to birds, I wonder if it happened to dinosaurs.

Now we know the real reason they died out. They couldn't decide who were the boys and who were the girls.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Addendum to Jack's last post...

Jack now has a sinus infection, but not in his sinuses. It's migrated up to his right eye, as his tend to do. And so my right eye is all puffed up and goopy and runny. :rolleyes:

Contemplating calling out on Monday, because my hands are also shredded - the cardboard dries out my skin and the edges give me dozens of small paper cuts, so bits of skin always end up getting all scaly and rough, and eventually catching on things and getting torn off, or torn off by me to stop it from happening. The result being that I an literally working my fingers off since I'm missing large patches of flesh on them.

Jack needs to have a discussion with one of the bosses about getting another guy on the boxmaker during first shift and training a second shift guy, neither of which the bosses seemed inclined to do, but Jack just can't be pulling double-digit overtime anymore. :zombie:

You might want to look into a hand cream formulated for rough service.

Fisherman's Friend is good, there are others.  I wear leather gloves a lot, especially when driving, so use Udderly Smooth [from Wally World] to keep them from drying out from the contact with leather.  If they get too dry they start to crack.  It's also good for foot callouses.

GEM

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

I was going to say, I am pretty certain PingosHusband boils the bagels first, then bakes them.

That's just crazy talk!

Yeah - pretty sure I read the recipe, then made it, without bothering to check the recipe as I went.

And given that I and bread are not exactly a match made in heaven.... (Impatience, and an unwillingness to give the dough the kneading it needs.)

Meanwhile, while I was enjoying my day off, the folks at work managed to set the grease catcher on the broiler on fire.... <_< (Supposed to emptied every day. Being me, I always check it, in case the closers didn't do so. Being them, they didn't.)

No huge amount of damage, but, seriously.... :wow:

Planning on working on some things for the game, while Megan is watching football, drinking Bud, and eating pizza - but I will most likely whine and moan about not being able to bounce ideas off of her while she is enjoying the Patriots at the Superbowl. <_< (Or at the very least I willmiss out on the chance to be annoyingly smug while working on the Regency game. These little things mean a whole lot in a relationship! (She does the same thing to me when she is working on her Eberron game. ::): It is one of the joys of being a GM!) )

I have an idea for the summer game for the kids - starting them out as Scouts on the Maine woods, working on their merit badges, when they find themselves elsewhere... with just the things that they will have in their packs. (Flashlights with three hours of battery apiece, some food, and one or two things determined by the Merit Badge Traits that they choose.)

Zero level characters - but they can choose their classes when they hit 100XP.

The Auld Grump - if one of the kids takes a Firearms merit, then that kid will have a gun and twenty bullets. If they choose an Archery merit badge then they will have a bow or crossbow and twelve arrows/bolts and the appropriate proficiencies - but arrows and bolts can be replaced in setting. Rimfire rounds, on the other hand.... I will let them know at the time - I am not going to mess them over. The bullets will be better - but one use. When they are gone, they are gone.)

The Auld Grump

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Oh dear,  how many exploded?  that is one gooey lump of dough!  Especially if you used the classic recipe of boiling them in lye water first!  That would taste especially awful!

I used baking soda instead of lye - but they were still pretty darned horrible! :lol:

No doughsplosions, but nasty!

On the plus side - I am pretty sure it gave Megan a jolt of cooking self-confidence - nothing she has attempted has come out nearly as bad as those bagels!

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I wonder if I can find cute dragon print...

You can get pretty much any print you want at spoonflower dot com, if you're willing to pay for it. 

• Like 4

I had been watching eBay bids today, didn't get everything I tried for ( a risk when you're out of the house and using the app on your phone), and I got sniped on a few (including the Order of The Stick figures). Happily though, I managed to make it back home with 23 seconds to spare on my last bid, and I was just in time to get a winning bid on Kickstarter Sophie. Glad to survive that auction, and I got her for less than $6.50 CAD!

• Like 12

Gah. I don't want to wake up, but I have to wake up.

Good news is that it seems like my ear is in better shape today than yesterday. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I was just in time to get a winning bid on Kickstarter Sophie.

That Sophie on motorcycle seems to spawn complaints about how impossible it is to put together.  Great looking figure, though.  Are you planning to paint it?  

• Like 7