Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

17 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Eh, I've known a few people that it wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to really stab themselves with a blunt object through normal use.

I saw a thing a while back about a guy who impaled himself from one armpit to the opposite shoulder on a piece of blunt rebar. The fact that it was blunt was what saved his life, because it pushed his lungs and heart out of the way rather than a sharpened point digging into them. But then, he slipped and fell onto the rebar so it wasn't exactly a normal use case.

Also, is it petty of me to ignore the attempts at communication from an ex-girlfriend who was emotionally manipulative? I haven't talked to her in over 10 years, but for the last couple years she's been sending me a random "hey there" message and a friend request over Facebook at least once a year. The first time she did it she sent a long apology and I was contemplating talking to her, but a day later the protective order that she filed against her baby daddy(same day as the apology was sent) came across my desk at work so I wrote it off as her wanting to use me again and I've ignored her since. She just sent me another one yesterday, which is why I'm once again thinking about it. But I don't work at the PD anymore, so I won't know if this is another "I want you for a rebound" things that the last one was or not.

As someone who has made a mistake along those lines once already, I'd advise not responding. Refusing to deal with emotionally manipulative people is not petty, it's self preservation. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Eh, I've known a few people that it wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to really stab themselves with a blunt object through normal use.

I saw a thing a while back about a guy who impaled himself from one armpit to the opposite shoulder on a piece of blunt rebar. The fact that it was blunt was what saved his life, because it pushed his lungs and heart out of the way rather than a sharpened point digging into them. But then, he slipped and fell onto the rebar so it wasn't exactly a normal use case.

Also, is it petty of me to ignore the attempts at communication from an ex-girlfriend who was emotionally manipulative? I haven't talked to her in over 10 years, but for the last couple years she's been sending me a random "hey there" message and a friend request over Facebook at least once a year. The first time she did it she sent a long apology and I was contemplating talking to her, but a day later the protective order that she filed against her baby daddy(filed same day as the apology was sent) came across my desk at work so I wrote it off as her wanting to use me again and I've ignored her since. She just sent me another one yesterday, which is why I'm once again thinking about it. But I don't work at the PD anymore, so I won't know if this is another "I want you for a rebound" things that the last one was or not.

I will third the response; do not contact.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

We got our Forbidden Fortress stuff today. Poor, poor UPS man. It was over 30lbs. UPS had it marked as 36 on tracking but the box itself says 31. Sounded like he may have dropped it on the way up. Everything is intact though so no worries there. 

We also got buckets of snow last night. This is what it looked like when I woke up. There has since been more snow fall.

0204190915.thumb.jpg.5a76f7ee4922f282dc58bccbca1ceb40.jpg

I think we have about that much snow.. and it's still coming down. The chickens were GLARING at me when I went out, and the snow's covered the anti-DFA netting. I need to take a giant pokey tool out and knock the worst of it off the netting so something doesn't mistake it for something they can land on...

(this was not something I would have expected to be a problem; we're not talking small holes here!)

• Like 10

Just now, Sylverthorne said:

I think we have about that much snow.. and it's still coming down. The chickens were GLARING at me when I went out, and the snow's covered the anti-DFA netting. I need to take a giant pokey tool out and knock the worst of it off the netting so something doesn't mistake it for something they can land on...

(this was not something I would have expected to be a problem; we're not talking small holes here!)

Ooh. Chickens are good at glaring ...

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Ooh. Chickens are good at glaring ...

At first glance I thought you said chickens were good at gaming.  

I think I really need to buy my kids snow pants.  It doesn't snow that often here, but when it does they do really like to play in it.  Unfortunately it was still cold enough that the snow wouldn't stick to make a snowman.  Nine inches of snow is a tantalizing amount of snow to not be able to build with.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Good news! We finally put Christmas away! :rolleyes: :lol:

But... it isn't even Valentines Day yet...  :blink:

@Unruly DO NOT ENGAGE! 

Happy Lunar New Year!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, haldir said:

I think you've got more snow in that picture/storm then we have the entire season so far....ha ha

It's still coming down too.

We got Forbidden Fortress down into less boxes than it came in but not as low a number as I'd have liked but that's life, or something. My sewing project is getting frustrating. I've sewn the same strip of velcro on twice and had to remove it...twice. The first time it was crooked, the second time I got it pretty straight but I sewed it too far down and if I'd sewn the other piece on where it needed to be I would've sewn the pocket shut. So my Monday has been a mixed bag. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Good news! We finally put Christmas away! :rolleyes: :lol:

Yay! Somebody who is slower than us! We put all ours away about a week ago.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Also, is it petty of me to ignore the attempts at communication from an ex-girlfriend who was emotionally manipulative? I haven't talked to her in over 10 years, but for the last couple years she's been sending me a random "hey there" message and a friend request over Facebook at least once a year. The first time she did it she sent a long apology and I was contemplating talking to her, but a day later the protective order that she filed against her baby daddy(filed same day as the apology was sent) came across my desk at work so I wrote it off as her wanting to use me again and I've ignored her since. She just sent me another one yesterday, which is why I'm once again thinking about it. But I don't work at the PD anymore, so I won't know if this is another "I want you for a rebound" things that the last one was or not.

Not petty, it's self preservation.  I'll echo what others have said - don't.  I've been there, too.

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

@Unruly, you know the saying. Stay away from crazy.

Good advice, but she doesn't necessarily have to be crazy for it to be good to stay away from her.  In my case, I finally realized that the woman and I were like mixing bleach and ammonia.  Great in theory if you're clueless, but poisonous to each other and everyone around us.  And both are just fine on their own. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

@Unruly, you know the saying. Stay away from crazy.

But I thought we wanted him to stay on here...

I agree with the others, keep ignoring her.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

At first glance I thought you said chickens were good at gaming.  

I think I really need to buy my kids snow pants.  It doesn't snow that often here, but when it does they do really like to play in it.  Unfortunately it was still cold enough that the snow wouldn't stick to make a snowman.  Nine inches of snow is a tantalizing amount of snow to not be able to build with.  

We have one pair of snow pants from LL Bean which wears like iron. Normally they are mine, but when Kid #2 was setting out for the senior retreat in last week’s polar vortex, we discovered that a tall thin beanpole of a kid could get in them too. Hooray for adjustable straps and velcro.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

Pretty much what everyone else has said.  Stay away from such, it's not worth the trouble and whatnot.  Also, if you want to, doesn't Facebook have a "decline/dismiss and ignore" option for those invites?  Then she'd never be able to send you one again (or at least have you see it).  And if it continues, that's technically against Facebook's ToS, repeatedly badgering someone who's made it clear they aren't interested.

• Like 7

Note to self: update Wemo devices after going to bed and not while trying to watch TV or get anything else done that requires light. ::(:

• Like 5