Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

38 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

And now here I am in Iowa.

My condolences! ::):

Not that I have much room to talk here in Wisconsin.. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Taking the day off from work to celebrate the Lunar New Year with my bride and her family. I made almond cookies to bring with us. Need to make breakfast too... 

IMG_20190205_090434.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I don't know how folks do it. It's 20°F and just too cold to exist. How is there anything left in the Midwest :wacko:

Layers. 3 -5 layers depending on how cold is it outside

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I don't know how folks do it. It's 20°F and just too cold to exist. How is there anything left in the Midwest :wacko:

You get acclimated over time.   After three years of living in Western Australia, anything less than 60F was too cold for me to exist for awhile there.  And now here I am in Iowa.

I tend to like winters where the temps are between -10 and -20 C so about that 0 F mark or a bit warmer. Snow doesn't melt so no ice and not too cold. Once you're used to it it's ok. I've had to work outside in a lot colder and I try my best to avoid that now. This week has been cold and not predicting it to be above -20 C. Bit of a shock to the system because we've had a real mild winter with a lot of above freezing temps. 

52 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You get acclimated over time.   After three years of living in Western Australia, anything less than 60F was too cold for me to exist for awhile there.  And now here I am in Iowa.

I tend to like winters where the temps are between -10 and -20 C so about that 0 F mark or a bit warmer. Snow doesn't melt so no ice and not too cold. Once you're used to it it's ok. I've had to work outside in a lot colder and I try my best to avoid that now. This week has been cold and not predicting it to be above -20 C. Bit of a shock to the system because we've had a real mild winter with a lot of above freezing temps. -30 is ok when you get to stay in the house and keep warm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Layers. 3 -5 layers depending on how cold is it outside

For 20F?  nah.. 2 layers is enough most of the time .. t-shirt and light jacket when it's that warm!  

After all, last week, we had -50F windchills and were in the mid-40Fs yesterday .. Wisconsin.. where Mother Nature goes bipolar on us regularly.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Unruly said:

Eh, I've known a few people that it wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to really stab themselves with a blunt object through normal use.

I saw a thing a while back about a guy who impaled himself from one armpit to the opposite shoulder on a piece of blunt rebar. The fact that it was blunt was what saved his life, because it pushed his lungs and heart out of the way rather than a sharpened point digging into them. But then, he slipped and fell onto the rebar so it wasn't exactly a normal use case.

Also, is it petty of me to ignore the attempts at communication from an ex-girlfriend who was emotionally manipulative? I haven't talked to her in over 10 years, but for the last couple years she's been sending me a random "hey there" message and a friend request over Facebook at least once a year. The first time she did it she sent a long apology and I was contemplating talking to her, but a day later the protective order that she filed against her baby daddy(filed same day as the apology was sent) came across my desk at work so I wrote it off as her wanting to use me again and I've ignored her since. She just sent me another one yesterday, which is why I'm once again thinking about it. But I don't work at the PD anymore, so I won't know if this is another "I want you for a rebound" things that the last one was or not.

When I was in the Boy Scouts one of the scouts in another group had to have a hot dog surgically removed from his arm.

They were fooling around with black powder weapons (this was '75 - and the Scouts were getting ready for the Bicentennial) and one of them realized that a hot dog would fit down the barrel....

When he shot another Scout with the hot dog, he expected it to go *SPLUT!* in an amusing fashion.

Instead, it penetrated.

A candle, fired from a smoothbore musket, will penetrate a 1 inch thick wooden board.

And a gaming group that I used to play with had to take someone to the hospital to deal with an injury inflicted by a flag pole. (Demonstrating that spears can be used to fend off attackers... quite... incontrovertibly... at that.)

The Auld Grump - imagine trying to explain being killed by a hot dog as you pass through the pearly gates....

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I do like a Lemon Bar that can bite back. 

Oh noooooo, this will be the next thing @malefactus will put in his Spooky Forest!

• Haha 5

20F is not cold, tis merely brisk. 

As to the continued survival of the Midwest...well, the Winter Court just likes us more. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:
6 hours ago, Unruly said:

I wasn't thinking of getting back with her. I was just wanting input on if I was being a petty jerk by not responding, because I feel bad about it but I also really don't want to talk with her because I know it would end badly. Especially since I know she knows how to pull my heartstrings like a virtuoso...

Ah, no you're being sensible!

You know how it will go and you're protecting yourself from more bad stuff.

Negative manipulative people should be avoided, it will only bring stress and problems.

@Unruly

When did you start using the Avatar image you use now or the screen name “Unruly”? Would she know either of them?

If Yes, it is possible ...she has read / is reading / will someday read... all that has been posted about this so far. :upside:

I have no advice to offer, either about how fb works (for me it generally fails to work) or about how to deal with an ex. WRT all this, I am like Luftwaffe Master Sergeant Hans Schultz:

”...I know nothing!...”

Edited by TGP
Tagged Unruly
  • Like 5

Missed out on a January order and went to grab a Bones Black owlbear today and see that he's not even listed in the store any longer.. ::(:  (p.s. we really need a sad-panda emoticon)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, eldamir said:

Missed out on a January order and went to grab a Bones Black owlbear today and see that he's not even listed in the store any longer.. ::(:  (p.s. we really need a sad-panda emoticon)

Yeah they sold out if the figure. 

On a different note, I hope everyone is getting their oink on today.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Pretty much what everyone else has said.  Stay away from such, it's not worth the trouble and whatnot.  Also, if you want to, doesn't Facebook have a "decline/dismiss and ignore" option for those invites?  Then she'd never be able to send you one again (or at least have you see it).  And if it continues, that's technically against Facebook's ToS, repeatedly badgering someone who's made it clear they aren't interested.

You are correct. Facebook has a block feature which allows you to block people so they can't message, friend request, or otherwise see anything from you. You won't even show up I'm their searches for you. Might be an option for you @Unruly

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 5

uhg. I love when professors disassemble things they don't understand then try to "help" when I have to fix the thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2