ManvsMini

Raise your hand if it's snowing

30 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It hardly ever snows in the puget sound region. Aside from not having the equipment to deal with it, folks here just don't know how to deal with it. As hubby complained yesterday, the folks who plowed didn't even do it that well. 

It's pretty sad.

They should know better, but they do a crappy job here too.  Parts of the city don't get plowed at all. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

They are predicting heavy ice and freezing rain tonight. Hope they are wrong...

That's probably the worst. Stay safe.

• Like 2

Thank oh mighty Hamster! Well, we got ice but thankfully not too much. Should be able to safely get out this afternoon.

• Like 3

Looks like they’re forecasting light snow for later today, possibly tomorrow, with a heavier snowfall for Tuesday.

Well see what happens. I’m getting ready to leave for work now, but will be off Monday/Tuesday.

• Like 1

We got a fresh layer of ice on everything last night.   Glad I stocked up on provisions Friday.  My car is not going anywhere for a few days.  I had trouble getting it in the driveway last night after gaming.  I've seen hockey rinks that weren't this smooth. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

18 hours ago, Inarah said:

That doesn't look like a lot of snow. The way they are reporting it in the news Washington State is being overwhelmed by a new Ice Age. Do y'all just never get snow up there?  We've already had 19" this winter and are waiting for the really bad storms to hit. 

It got up to 29 today which would have been pretty nice (it was 11 yesterday) except for the layer of ice all over everything.  And we're getting more tonight. :wacko:

Where I live does get snow often enough that we have the equipment to deal with it; however, it usually comes in gradually, not one huge heavy dump + gusting winds like we had yesterday. So there are big drifts all over, cars getting stuck because they think that 4-wheel drive will save them. It's just ridiculous.

Another couple of inches last night, and it's been lightly snowing off and on all morning. Supposed to be more tomorrow too. :zombie: Our maintenance guy couldn't make it here to even plow our parking lot, so most people are just stuck here. We're way in the back, too, so even if I could dig out our van, I wouldn't make it half a foot before getting stuck myself.

I managed to convince two separate groups of Asian college student neighbors to not attempt to get out (didn't seem like it was urgent), with their lightweight cars and all-weather (or possibly summer) tires. They were trying to clear a path using brooms and dustpans, poor things. The few snow shovels our complex has were being used to dig out a truck that got stuck, and to clear a path to the mailbox.

I was passing by a very large drift on my way back to my apt, and decided to make a snow angel, because why not, to the great amusement of the aforementioned neighbors. :lol:

20190210_115153.thumb.jpg.5c813f182d11ac632ab1fd415eab111f.jpg

Trying to get MrBoot to the airport for a business flight has been an adventure in itself, but after numerous phone calls we got ahold of a church friend with a heavy truck, who was able to make it both to us and to the airport. :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

cars getting stuck because they think that 4-wheel drive will save them. It's just ridiculous.

4x4 doesn't help when none of the tires are in contact with the ground. Not that I have personal experience with that ranging from SUVs to tractors. :ik_oops: My theory is if your going to do some do it good. Unfortunately I apply that to getting stuck every couple of years on the farm. Rarely been stuck on a road.

• Like 6

So I take it Vancouver's gonna be closed for the next few days. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Zink said:

So I take it Vancouver's gonna be closed for the next few days. 

All I know is I happen to have the next two days off and I’ll be hibernating in my lair until the chaos ends.

• Like 8

Weirdly enough, my (small!) town has managed to completely clear their roads. Mr. Thorne noticed this on going out for some minor supplies. He also noticed that the small grocery store was pretty much out of ... well ... everything. Shelves were pretty well bare of necessities. He did manage to get what he went out for, though.

We live outside of town, so I imagine there was some fun getting /to/ town.. and it's been snowing again. Better than the freezing rain or ice-melt downpour we were told to expect, though.

• Like 8

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, Inarah said:

That doesn't look like a lot of snow. The way they are reporting it in the news Washington State is being overwhelmed by a new Ice Age. Do y'all just never get snow up there?  We've already had 19" this winter and are waiting for the really bad storms to hit. 

Last Sunday we got 9.5 inches.  Some of it compacted and melted, then Friday night we got over 6 inches more.  No melting and now we're at about another 4-6 inches.  It's damp, heavy snow with overnight temps well below freezing.  Most of the residential roads in my area don't get plowed , and it's super hilly.  So no trash collection, very little school time, some roads are basically impassable.  There are a lot of power outages, and one of my friends had the copper pipes in her walls burst.  She even had power, so no idea why that happened.

It's the most snow Seattle has seen in 70 years, and road clearing budgets have been cut dramatically in recent years.  So yeah, it sucks.  Eventually it's going to warm up and that's when the freezing rain risk will kick in.  I can't wait for it to be over.  

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3

Suspect that Mr. Thorne will be doing WFH this week, same reason as last week. *headshake*

When the county can't even get the highways cleared ... 'but it never does this!' ..feh.

Bleh. And in the meantime, I'mma have to go out and knock the snow off the Anti-DFA netting again...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I like snow such as this. It is what would qualify as a pleasant little snow storm in Colorado. 

Here, I'm worried I might not be able to get to campus tomorrow. I only need to bus ~3miles, but that's mostly uphill. 

• Like 3