ManvsMini

Raise your hand if it's snowing

We have snow. Looks like a fluffy 2-3 inches. We were forecast to get just over 1 inch.

It's supposed to turn to freezing rain tomorrow into Tuesday. I may call out these next two days on account of "I walk a mile to get home from work at 1am, you realize."

On the other hand, if it's like last year I may get to watch the snowplow lose traction on the ice and slide in a 360 circle in the middle of an empty intersection. Again. It was funny because nothing and nobody got hurt.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

We have snow. Looks like a fluffy 2-3 inches. We were forecast to get just over 1 inch.

It's supposed to turn to freezing rain tomorrow into Tuesday. I may call out these next two days on account of "I walk a mile to get home from work at 1am, you realize."

I'm not too far from you, in Newark Delaware, so in the same weather pattern.  I've already put my boss on notice that I won't be in.  I've got plenty of leave, and it looks like I'll be shoveling much of the day, so doubt I'd get much really done as telework.

• Like 5

I managed to make it to the store yesterday. Went to the craft store and got the wrong colour pen (I should've brought my other pen for reference), then on to the food store for dinner food. While the parking lot at the craft store was beautifully clear (aside from the 20' tall mountain of snow), the grocery store was a mess. I heard at least three cars spinning their wheels, trying to get out of the snow. Of course, my little car easily got out, because it's a good car (and hubby showed me how to get unstuck). 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I managed to make it to the store yesterday. Went to the craft store and got the wrong colour pen (I should've brought my other pen for reference), then on to the food store for dinner food. While the parking lot at the craft store was beautifully clear (aside from the 20' tall mountain of snow), the grocery store was a mess. I heard at least three cars spinning their wheels, trying to get out of the snow. Of course, my little car easily got out, because it's a good car (and hubby showed me how to get unstuck). 

Good Hubby!

• Like 6

Couple inches more snow and coming down nice right now. At least the temp is up to a tolerable -20 C. Wasn't totally dug out from last week what with all the -30 C weather. Shouldn't take too long to clear this if it stops.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

A couple inches Sunday.  Another couple today. Another 1/2 inch expected by the late night.

Winter, you are getting on my nerves.  My poor back can't keep up like it once could.

I honestly don't remember the last time it snowed this frequently over the course of a winter.  It's been awhile.

• Like 5

The bus to campus was fine. It wasn't snowing this morning. It started snowing again in the afternoon. The bus back was kinda scary. Gentle and careful driver but still bumping the curb and sliding. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The bus to campus was fine. It wasn't snowing this morning. It started snowing again in the afternoon. The bus back was kinda scary. Gentle and careful driver but still bumping the curb and sliding. 

This is what people don't understand until you try driving here.  Sometimes it's just the right mixture of moisture and snow and no amount of snow tires or driving skill can make it reliable & safe.  Seattle now has had the snowiest February since the 1920s.  We're far enough toward the Cascades that I've lost track of how much snow has fallen, it keeps settling and partially melting and then more snow comes.  I just want my roads back.  :down:  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Disclaimer- I have the greatest sympathies for the poor forumites suffering under feet of snow, but this counts as a snow event for me ::P:

I'm posting this a bit late, but I've not been too well lately ::(: I live in the West of Scotland, which due to the Gulf Stream usually has boringly mild, rainy weather. About ten days ago we had a sudden temperature dip followed by an unusual freezing fog overnight. I woke up one of those really fine snow showers that never usually come to much, except that because of the odd weather conditions the snowflakes stuck to anything that had frost on it. DSCN8353.thumb.JPG.92283a372cd9c3032062f8cb38fdf695.JPG

DSCN8351.thumb.JPG.ccc364be81117d97839ed66767bf1972.JPG

It looked amazing! So we ran down to our local park/nature reserve and reveled in the novelty of wandering through something that looked like a Christmas card. This is what our local lake normally looks like, compared to what it looked like that morning-

DSCN8077.thumb.JPG.0d5ee6fc448a0bc5d297d94b4125ab42.JPG

DSCN8289.thumb.JPG.cba2d43c1d1298be4b41ab355f0d9472.JPG

All of the wildfowl were crammed in a small section where they were getting fed. DSCN8171.thumb.JPG.a51c2aabf6c95a7e543c7f3b79c78f82.JPG

The swan with the yellow beak at about 1 o'clock is a Whooper. They migrate in family groups from Iceland in the autumn, poor fella must've been wondering "why did I bother?" ::D: The odd dots in the bottom left is part of the massive bag of Swan/Duck food that my housemate was throwing at the poor things.

We also saw this fine fellow out on the ice. Apologies for the photo quality, I was at full zoom and forgot to bring my monopod...DSCN8264.thumb.JPG.92643ab5ca2f20a3d1bf84321c71146c.JPG

He was unsuccessfully trying to sneak up on this Grey Heron DSCN8291.thumb.JPG.2026efc5aa5214cecf3a8ae8377b01bf.JPG

The whole place just looked amazing

DSCN8392.thumb.JPG.88d9af5cc0e2248290c31259d37775f1.JPGDSCN8418.thumb.JPG.7ef57cede303ee814da115f34a517382.JPGDSCN8412.thumb.JPG.ca52ab4e83176dabb90bd9d72d10a89a.JPG

DSCN8399.thumb.JPG.c8cfc964207c7b881b06142076925617.JPG

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you're a swan) it was all gone and back to rain the next day :(

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

32F and raining for the last 9 hours.  Currently a light drizzle, but the temp is to drop well below freezing before it quits.  Could be interesting when I get up in the morning.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

This is what people don't understand until you try driving here.  Sometimes it's just the right mixture of moisture and snow and no amount of snow tires or driving skill can make it reliable & safe.  Seattle now has had the snowiest February since the 1920s.  We're far enough toward the Cascades that I've lost track of how much snow has fallen, it keeps settling and partially melting and then more snow comes.  I just want my roads back.  :down:  

Still better to have the tires and the skills than not. It is the folks who have no skill at driving that worry me the most. 

My dad is in Tahoe with several feet of new snow (it got to white-out levels for him), and he'll be able to get out of his driveway tomorrow (yay snowblowers). A few inches here and we can't move. Sir Cyr tried to come home on the bus, but the bus made it one block before it couldn't get up the hill. A minor hill - not even the hill to the bridge. He walked three miles home instead. 

I do dread the freeze-thaw-freeze cycles. Snow at least is slowing; you get stuck. Stuck isn't squished. Ice is slippery. Slippery means fast. Fast can get you squished. If you get snow (or moisture in general), then warmth to liquify it, then freezing again, you get a nice fat sheet of ice. And you can't plow ice all that well. Yuck. 

• Like 7