Rigel

Doctor Banjo, or Even Further Hubris

The thought came to me, burning-hot in my mind, that while probably no one else would ever need one, *I* could really use a great ape in mortarboard and academic robes. An orangutan for preference, given their eccentric genius and their handlike feet. Reaper already does a Cyber-Ape, but that is a violent simian, and also I want three "hands" in use rather than two.

Here's the rough sketch, 

DSCN5449.thumb.JPG.f63c32ac2fc6472ed9bbd3a88595d81b.JPG

and here's an armature I made late last night, compared to Orangutango. 
DSCN5445.thumb.JPG.ec39989cff9b066b7c3bf21d443b5b56.JPGDSCN5446.thumb.JPG.0bd9c7da327eea6d57400ca8e5e0dd8d.JPGDSCN5448.thumb.JPG.37e7189bcf4d69a16a4a607cca8e58cb.JPG

I've been reading the advice posts, so I'll take it slow-ish, work in layers, and be ready to murder my darlings...

...is there other stuff I should be warned about? Is this a fool's errand? (yes, obviously, but can I *do* it?)

Love to hear from y'all! 

• Like 7

Looking good!  The only issue I foresee at this point would bee the twisted wires in the legs and arms.  That's going to make your armature too thick at the ankles and wrist. Stabilize the twists near the groin and shoulders with a blend of apoxie:GS, let it cure, then clip out the extra wire coil from the legs and arm.  I'd start sculpting by defining the rib cage, shoulder girdle, and pelvic region (which coincidentally will have the effect of stabilizing the twists as I mentioned above). 

Good luck and good sculpting!

• Like 4

Forgive the crappy phone pictures! 

It is good that orange are lumpy and shaggy creatures; that's going to be a big help.

Put in the base of fat and muscle, clipped off wire twists at ankles and wrists. 

Would it be better to add the head before the robes, or vice versa? 

IMG_20190122_001811950.thumb.jpg.fbd8f14f0f327a85182eb2d9d22ebc81.jpgIMG_20190122_001827160.thumb.jpg.644d4dddd94ce22fd9410c2593e77bd0.jpg

IMG_20190122_001847945.jpg

IMG_20190122_001837053.jpg

• Like 4

Are you sculpting the head separately on a piece of armature wire?

If it helps I used to hold the end of the armature wire for heads and other bits in a pin vice. I bought the metal ones and stashed the drill bits that came with them in my Tube O' Drill Bits (darn things always want to get dull on you!). The advantage of the metal ones was you could bake them in the oven without any worries. For actually hand drilling I have one that has a large wood bulb grip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Nice.

I'd probably add them before the head, just because his many chin flaps over hang them.

Thank you and good thinking! Such a jowly beast. 

4 hours ago, GHarris said:

Are you sculpting the head separately on a piece of armature wire?

If it helps I used to hold the end of the armature wire for heads and other bits in a pin vice.

Full disclosure, I have *no idea* what I'm doing. I was vaguely imagining sculpting the head freehand, but a clamped wire armature or a large-headed sewing pin is manifestly the smarter option now that you bring it up. I even have a pin vice for that purpose! 

• Like 3

I said that I would take it slow-ish, but it looks like among my other character flaws I am also a liar. 

Tried to add the robe and the first layer of shagginess at the same time. Ended up getting in my own way a lot, BUT...

DSCN5476.thumb.JPG.f5b431a76fef7928ed8006202ac889f8.JPGDSCN5477.thumb.JPG.14d891d39d0aca1bb78300b5aa28c2dc.JPG

At least the gathering/ruching on the academic gown wasn't too bad. Putting the sleeves on over the arm hair wasn't easy, but dental picks are your friends (when not being used as dental picks, at least). 

DSCN5479.thumb.JPG.68d8ade22d659748e3b1323fe395efda.JPGDSCN5480.thumb.JPG.31dfe4043f67af395ebe47e88ec42da9.JPG

Tried to get an idea of where gravity goes by actually having the good Doctor swing from a hook. This is where I got in my own way, as the gown is no longer hanging as plumb as planned. But I'll wait until I have his book and head in place before axing the drapery; they may change the center of gravity a bit.

DSCN5481.thumb.JPG.2426e8889ef5cfcdb8a76ae20e0e067e.JPGDSCN5482.thumb.JPG.86cdf25c4923b7f083f66070e3da20ab.JPGDSCN5485.thumb.JPG.522c5c2c7d6668d73fd0db7972712cb3.JPG

Taking the advice of smarter sculptors, I took a round-headed sewing pin and clamped it firmly in place. I then slapped on a smaller ball for the protruding jaws, molded in some lobes for cheek-flaps, and dental-tooled and needled a few features. This is the first draft: 

DSCN5487.thumb.JPG.9aed150c4fd16c937b544bd1c02c055f.JPG

DSCN5488.thumb.JPG.d1e6aeaa0932145e2f872ece37209e0d.JPGDSCN5489.thumb.JPG.bcdbd282c8d82f10a58848ce96c577ce.JPGDSCN5490.thumb.JPG.baaa1b5eefca08fe1979781204c92099.JPG

Dunno how the head will fit exactly so far, but I can cover over seams with hair and dewlaps. Here's the proportions, only slightly distorted by perspective: 
DSCN5491.thumb.JPG.a145eeb63039202b24426908e6735d4c.JPG

• Like 7

Got the right foot with pointer pretty much done, ditto the lecturing right hand. Will post pics tomorrow. Starting to think this is possible! 

• Like 2

And here we are! Put a tassel on the mortarboard, too. Man, dental tools and those silicone nubby nudging tools are great

Still needs more hair, a waistcoat, and the leftmost extremities (and book) taken care of.

C&C welcome; I could use some feedback!

DSCN5504.thumb.JPG.619dc8eedd1f5d9b0b50ccb0e4db0609.JPGDSCN5500.thumb.JPG.f152c2601b6b78f73f535aa8b0d030f0.JPGDSCN5496.thumb.JPG.8f72e009c722b16b34e7c2a3197cbac9.JPGDSCN5502.thumb.JPG.8ea785b8faa149bb8744a9fc69edaf61.JPG

DSCN5493.JPG

DSCN5501.JPG

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thrym
      It's the holidays, so I present to you ...
      The Day of the Dead Fairy Tavern
      "Zapata's Skull & Rose"

Okay, it's hokey, but my daughter enjoys the masks and such from the Day of the Dead and as I was trying out my homemade paper clay, I started to shape the fairy garden house.  When I placed the windows where they ended up, they reminded me of a cockeyed skull and the idea was born.

The List

Das Air Dry Clay
      Two Plastic Bottles of different size with the bottoms cut off.
      Glue Gun and Hot Glue
      Aluminum Foil
      Painters or Masking Tape
      Cardboard for the base
      Extra Plastic from Product Packaging
      Homemade Paper Clay

Construction

First off, if you haven't had the chance and want to do something like this ... I do plan to make terrain, etc. using these components ... I suggest Creative Mom's YouTube channel.  Yes, it's all Fairy Homes and such but she does a damn good job on construction and design using the above components.  They are lightweight and durable and hold a solid edge if you want to use any of those cool terrain stamps many of us bought into or a mold.

I hot glued the two bottles together so the cut ends are flush. I used a lot of glue to ensure that they were together solidly.  Then after measuring a terracotta pot against the cardboard round from a frozen pizza, I glued the bottles to the cardboard.  I wanted to ensure that there was space to glue the base to the pot's rim but not have the building flush to the edge.

I then glued some aluminum foil to the bottles to form some shapes.  The "hat" was planned all along but it's going to be a sombrero now.  So I glued a ring of foil around the bottle top and then added foil over the ring and flattened the edges.  To strengthen the form and blend the bottleneck out a bit I used the painters' tape around the brim and across the back where the "smokestack" comes up.

To help bridge in between the two bottles a bit more I added a rope of foil from the front to the back in an arc and glued it down.   Then I added more foil atop the cap of the second bottle to make it taller like and then used more foil and painters' tape to make it more of a long neck bottle.  I glued a rectangle of packaging to the front as a box window.

With everything constructed, I spackled the shape with the Homemade Paper Clay.  The reason I used the Homemade Paper Clay first is that I used recycled shredded paper instead of toilet paper to make the clay so it's very, lumpy.

The initial skinning of Homemade Paper Clay.

The Stucco

From here I wanted to apply a smoother surface for the finished product and wanted to add some sculpting.  So instead of using a finer Homemade Paper Clay, I went for my Das Air Dry Clay.  I created the skull face first.

Then tonight I skinned the "bottle" side of the tavern adding a petal edge to the front and back around the neck and blocking out the window.

What's Next?

Well, I have to finish the back of the skull side and then the sombrero.  I have three Day of the Dead skull buttons I am going to embed in the sombrero per fairly common costumes.

I'll also add a bunch of details to the building and naturally, I will do my usual work on the ground.  There are a lot of skulls that show a thin mustache for male ones, so I think I might make a series of boards tacked up to make a thin mustache to frame the doorway.

This is a vector skull I manipulated to sort of match my quazy skull face.  I am thinking of doing it black on white like this.

As usual, thoughts and comments are welcome.

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

• By lazarp
      During the last few days I've sculpted these out of fimo air classic and then painted them. Really happy how they turned out :D

For the whole crafting process check this thread

• By lazarp
      Hi everyone, just wanted to share this Bigby's Hand spell effect mini I made. It is made of Fimo air dry clay and took me about 30 minutes painting included. I was inspired by D&D Icons of the Realms Spell Effects – Arcane Fury & Divine Might miniatures and diceded to try and make one of my own :D

• By TaleSpinner
      My father is one of those people who is always really hard to buy for.  This year I drew his name for Christmas.  He is an amazing woodworker and craftsman.  I wanted to get him something he didn't have and wouldn't buy for himself.  I was perusing Wood magazine, and saw an add for ID coins; essentially they are laser engraved metal coins that you countersink into the bottom of your woodwork to identify it as having come from your shop.  The design is yours and they make the coins for you.

I can do that, even better!  So I started designing it.  My dad loves owls; they are kind of his symbol already.  Also, our last name is Pieper (pronounced Peeper), so every guy in my family going back at least 4 generations has been known by the nickname "Peeps" at some point in his life; it's kind of a family right of passage when your friends start calling you Peeps.

So I am designing a 3/4 inch coin with a barred owl (his favorite) on it and the words "PEEPS WOODCRAFT".  I will then mold it and cast a bunch of copies in bronze for him for Christmas.

Last night, I sculpted the owl:

• By Red The White
      Hello, compatriots! I am a college student in desperate need of useful sources of information! I have taken upon the task of writing my final project in my composition class on the history of wargaming and tabletop miniatures. Painting miniatures is potentially my biggest hobby, and it seemed like an excellent topic for a paper. I need to do a 12-minute elevator pitch of my paper next Friday, and the paper itself must be 2,500 words and is due at the end of the semester (May 5th).

The issue is, I'm having difficulty finding sources that I can cite. I'd go hunting for books, but I don't have a whole ton of time to wait for shipping. So, I've come to you folks. If there are any sources that you are aware of that will help me in my journey, please post them here. If there are important people I could potentially email and ask questions of, that would be cool, too. I already have some info with W. Britain beginning production of hollow lead toy soldiers and the publication of H.G. Welles' "Little Wars". I'd like to know more about when and how painting miniatures for wargames became a hobby of its own, major changes in the miniature manufacturing industry, key players, where we are today, etc.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 0 Anonymous, 131 Guests (See full list)