Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Carnegie inspired foamcore library

And so it begins... floorplans and foamcore. I couldnt find the post where I originally shared the link to floorplans, but a quick Google search turned up a version with BASEMENT! Now it all makes sense. I'll be doing a variation of the horizontal (top) layout with added stacks in the basement (and smaller lecture room). This will be the setting for my Gemma Files diorama.

I will be doing fancy paper "wallpaper" on the inside. Stained popsicle sticks wood floors on the main, and concrete on the basement (tile bathrooms) with carpet in the staff and lecture rooms. I intend for it to be playable, with separate floors (and roof).  I'm debating FANCY openable windows. Brownstone, with tar roof and stone trim.

I went with the built in size constraints of the folding presentation board on purpose.

carnegiefloorplans-001.jpg

20190122_181315.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 10

I cut out basement and main floors and did rough pencil measurements. I used terraincrate  stuff to rough in my stacks, and as stand in furnace etc.

Basement will be 2.5 inches high.

Also, vestibule divider will be acetate "glass."

Floor surface is 12"x18"

20190122_224922.jpg

20190122_222415.jpg

20190122_223201.jpg

20190122_222245.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
always darn autocorrect
  • Like 10

@Chris Palmer

Do you still have that jpg of bookshelves? The ones you did for the Frostgrave library. I'm thinking about a central shelf in the stacks,  regerence shelves upstairs, and most of what I have is on the table already.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 1

Any thoughts on how to do mouldings for the ceiling. I'm going to be creating a stencil with acetate, and paint on the wall paper (scan & print would require new ink so absurd, and enough sheets of fancy paper  would also be super exepensive), but this seems like something that could use molding. Scultpamold or similar not really an option. Prefer light, and cheap.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Any thoughts on how to do mouldings for the ceiling.

Modge podge makes some molds of various fancy borders intended to be used with some of their various formulas.   That's the only thing that comes to mind for me. 

Unless you happen to have a Cricut or Silhouette craft cutter - if so, then you could use that to create and cut paper patterns you could layer? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I dont have a cricut or equivalent

I'm going to Michael's so I'll check molds, but I'm not sure that will work. I may just cut strips of Bristol board,  because the ceiling is only ever going to be visible from the exterior.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lexomatic said:

Any thoughts on how to do mouldings for the ceiling. I'm going to be creating a stencil with acetate, and paint on the wall paper (scan & print would require new ink so absurd, and enough sheets of fancy paper  would also be super exepensive), but this seems like something that could use molding. Scultpamold or similar not really an option. Prefer light, and cheap.

Check a model RR shop, there are all sorts of small plastic strips in many shapes available.

• Thanks 1

No to acetate stencils-who am I kidding, I dont have time for that. I got some double sided texture stamps, that I'll use with paint on burgundy wallpaper. And some main floor wallpaper, and some grass for fun.

I'll use one of the stamps for a medallion too

20190124_123214.jpg

20190124_123247.jpg

20190124_123504.jpg

• Like 8

I can see the 2nd and 3rd from the top very easily being wallpaper in a library from that era.

• Like 2

Yeah. Though I'm totally doing a mustard yellow print (#1 pic above) on the burgundy

54 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I can see the 2nd and 3rd from the top very easily being wallpaper in a library from that era.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Yeah. Though I'm totally doing a mustard yellow print (#1 pic above) on the burgundy

Perfect for the era!

• Like 2

So i bought a few dollar store supplies (paint roller to apply thin coat of paint and a pet lint roller that had real heft to roll over the stamps) and they're gone. I'm convinced my inlaws tossed them/ put them someplace out of the way and forgot (and forgot to tell me because, who cares, it's not their stuff). And it's missing. May have to buy again, which won't be that expensive, but will be an hour of my time. Just annoyed at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Totally does not work as a stamp with acrylic paint. I don't have any white ink, so... fancy details (medallion, molding) may be out. Wallpaper plan may still work- I have yellow ink. I don't have white ink though,  and no interest in getting any. Too expensive for something I'll never use again

20190127_091341.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3