Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Carnegie inspired foamcore library

They make sheets of label paper you can run through regular printers. You could just print it out, cut to size and apply.

Yeah not buying more stuff.

I did find a solution.

Scan the pad. Crop it to tile properly. Strip the color then colorize.

Then I made a b&w tile that I'll cut on the diagonal to be molding. I need to clean up some edges.

Pics are full 8.5"x11" sheets of paper

20190127_170850.jpg

20190127_170907.jpg

• Like 8

Now I have to decide if I want to do the ceiling of the main hall in full sheets of that 2nd page... I think that would look better than single rows of molding.

• Like 4

Genius workaround! 

I like the diamond ceilings, but maybe some subtle color to add to the pattern? I'm envisioning central diamonds blue and the outer bits pale gold...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that's too colorful. I'm debating a solid color -sliiiiight off-white or the same grey/blue I'm planning for lower walls. I might still do a simple molding around the top, then leave this pattern at the centre. It's just only going to be visible when showing off the construction and when taking low angle pics from outside to minis within.

I might also re-print on white paper currently it's a creme color, with the squares painted over (I somehow mixed something pretty close to the paper color by accident).

• Like 3

Working on stuff tonight. will post photos later, hopefully.

Will be doing centre medallion - 13/8" and 1" and 3/4" concentric circles, with scan in the middle. Will try dong some molding for edges of ceiling, and mock color samples for ceiling.

• Like 1

Baby interruptus.

I have a suuuuper  rough mockup of the medallion. Not sure about trim around the outside.

Liking the parchment paper better as a match for the wallpaper, unless I want a pote tidally jarring fresh coat of paint on the ceiling? Thoughts? I can use a darker grey too. Currently 3 blue to 1 Lt grey

20190130_222535.jpg

20190130_223313.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 7

I think you are on the right track with the more subdued tone for the ceiling. Seems much more fitting for a library setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Hobby Lobby Saturday and took a wrong turn down the scrapbooking aisle. I suddenly realized that they have 1,000s of background papers of all sorts. That could be something to check out as a spray on adhesive would make it easy for wallpaper, etc.

• Like 2

Back to work... I need to get at least one floor finished by the end of the month (hopefully all of them) so I can get my photoshoot done for Women in Horror month. Probably basement, due to my plan to use popsicle sticks as flooring on the main floor probably taking a LONG time.

So far, Basement will be 3 in, and main floor will be two 3in sections, with 2 rows of windows (maybe, if I have enough acetate).

So, that means 3x12 6 times and 3x18 6 times and 2x3 4 times (bulkheads and/or fireplace extension/ chimneys)

I have the floors mapped out. I'm currently measuring the walls so I can cut them. Once those are cut, I can cut out the windows for exterior walls, and doors for interior walls (just the basement). Then it's all my gluing paper and painting.

Pics when I have something to show for my work. Starting sleep training this Friday, so everything may get shot to hell.

EDIT: Now doing 3" minus the width of a piece of foam, instead of plus the width of foam. It just makes it easier if I can actually fit everything in the pieces I have instead of having weird scraps etc. left over.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 2

I need to trim 1 cm off the floors due to forgetting  to include the width of the foamboard in measurements. No big deal. All six 12" sides are cut and two of the 18" ones.

These outside walls just need windows to be cut and can then be painted / have wallpaper glued.

Lineup pic to show exterior wall height

20190212_104123.jpg

20190212_101312.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 6

So, baby had a slightly longer napbhan expected. I did measurements for the trimming I need to do on the floor pieces. I also trimmed the ends off of about 50 popsicle sticks and then scanned and printed them. It looks a bit rough now, but I think with ink and medium will look cool.

If game is cancelled, I will finish cutting my exterior wall pieces and start measuring the interior ones (3 major pieces and a couple of small walls to devise rooms.

I'm working on Bristol board "tiles" which I will draw out then paint and glue on as a single sheet. I might score them a bit for some texture.

Then when everything is gathered I'll do interior/exterior floor by floor.

• Like 2