Colonel Kane

Sci fi game universe

10 hours ago, Sanael said:

3. Perhaps there's nothing preventing from building up, but there are reasons to go underground, so why didn't the time and energy to go up...maybe there is an oort cloud of strange space borne matter that follows an elliptical orbit through the solar system, dropping biophagic meteorites on the planet surface every few years, so the bunker is necessary.

Also consider cultural reasons too! Perhaps the aliens evolved from burrowing animals, & have a cultural preference for underground structures! The base environment the aliens evolved for before uplift to full sentience is going to have a big impact on their cultural & behavioral outlook.

Damon.

• Like 4

another reason to build underground is to avoid detection by others. 

Here's an excerpt from an article in Slate magazine about this:

Here’s how Ross Andersen lays out Liu’s concerns in a recent article for the Atlantic:

No civilization should ever announce its presence to the cosmos, [Liu] says. Any other civilization that learns of its existence will perceive it as a threat to expand—as all civilizations do, eliminating their competitors until they encounter one with superior technology and are themselves eliminated. This grim cosmic outlook is called “dark-forest theory,” because it conceives of every civilization in the universe as a hunter hiding in a moonless woodland, listening for the first rustlings of a rival.

If most other races are hiding their civilizations, it gives you not only a great explanation of why your ruins are underground, but gives you plausible reasons to have "new" ruins pop up in unlikely & even settled places, and getting the PCs to wondering WHY all these alien civilizations are hidden.   What ominous reasons could there be? 

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for advice. I doubt I will do this. While the boss cleared to make a purchase, I just feel like if I purchase the books (PDFs) they will just go to waste, as I can not do this idea any justice at all. It is a half baked idea anyways. 

• Like 2

Alright. I am using the Traveller setting for the most part and going to use the GURPS 4th Edition. I am working on converting the Traveller Templates over to 4th Edition. At the this time I have just 2 converted, Athlete and Computer Technician. Now I do not see a huge demand for the Athlete, but I figured as it was the first in the book I would use it as my test bed for the conversion process. 

The setting as I have stated will be the Traveller setting overall, but the adventure will be set on a moon of a Gas Giant. Imperium surveys have shown high mineral content. The Imperium have contracted a Corporation to do the mining. I do NOT have a name for the Corporation yet, but working on. Now I have a choice, Do I have the players as part of the mining group that ends up discovering the ruins or do I have them as a dedicated group to explore the ruins. I have yet to decide. Of course there will be a competing corporation wanting the minerals/ ruins and there will be other obstacles for the players. 

Anyone have anything else to add? 

So you have decided that the characters will be part of the group that has been called in to explore the ruins. I just think that, it would be difficult to have them as part of the mining crew. 

• Like 1