Sign in to follow this  
Reaper Ron

February Bones Black Promotional Mini - Rock Troll

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Is the troll a limited release like the owlbear?

Isn't he in the Bones 4 troll pack? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Isn't he in the Bones 4 troll pack? 

I thought there owlbear was from the kickstarter... *Shrug* not sure?

• Like 2

Different owlbear sculpt is in the KS. I think the troll is the same. Could be mistaken.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Different owlbear sculpt is in the KS. I think the troll is the same. Could be mistaken.

You're correct.  The owlbear is different, the troll is the same.

• Like 4

Got my Troll and I'm pretty disappointed with the quality control. The legs are so warped there is no way they'll fit into the base, also there is a significant gouge out of the mini on the seam line. CS response was, paraphrased, "yeah that happens....try filling it."

So bad QA, poor CS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zip_zap_rap said:

Got my Troll and I'm pretty disappointed with the quality control. The legs are so warped there is no way they'll fit into the base, also there is a significant gouge out of the mini on the seam line. CS response was, paraphrased, "yeah that happens....try filling it."

So bad QA, poor CS.

So, warping. I don't know if anyone's tried boiling Bones Black material yet, but that should soften the legs to the point where they can be bent into a position that will allow you to attach them to the base; you may have to pin them, to get them to stay, and you will probably have to monitor; you don't want to over-melt it. 

Gap filling seems to be a fact of life in this hobby. It's not one of my favorite aspects, but sometimes it's what you've gotta do. Greenstuff is pretty cheap, any hobby shop should have some. have water on hand, because it'll be sticky else.

If neither of those helps, I don't know what to tell you; Reaper has never failed to replace something that was defective, and I've had my share of things turn up with missing parts.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, zip_zap_rap said:

So bad QA, poor CS.

I was watching a stream where someone was painting the Bones Black owlbear Rock Troll (found the video) and the legs didn't lineup with the base attachment points at all. He microwaved some water in a bowl and dipped the legs in for, at most, 15 seconds. He took the mini out, adjusted the legs, and they went right into the base. Easiest fix ever. Unfortunately, that gouge can't be fixed with a bowl of hot water. Would it be possible to post a picture of it? It would help us understand exactly how fixable or not fixable your mini is.

Edit to add:

Here's a link to the video where Snickernack_Studios straightens out the legs/feet on the Bones Black rock troll. Starts at the 02:06:10 mark.

Just in case you want to see how easy it can be to straighten out the new Bones Black material. ^_~

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Both trolls I've got have had gouges in them, and quite bad seam lines. Given that it is a freebie, I'm not too bothered. Spent the time to clean up one, tossed the other into the backlog.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, zip_zap_rap said:

So bad QA, poor CS.

Hmm. That shouldn't have been your answer.

There is a new person handling that inbox since my retirement this week. I'd suggest trying again.

Gouges to be filled yourself is not how we are supposed to handle those issues. That would most likely be a poor casting which is replaceable. Send a picture.

Warped legs, yes, those do happen and ought to be solvable with the heat/cool water method. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

There is a new person handling that inbox since my retirement this week. I'd suggest trying again.

Gouges to be filled yourself is not how we are supposed to handle those issues. That would most likely be a poor casting which is replaceable. Send a picture.

Warped legs, yes, those do happen and ought to be solvable with the heat/cool water method. 

:blink:  :huh:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

1 minute ago, Pingo said:

:blink:  :huh:

Yes, that was my reaction too. I hope you mean retirement from the email stream, NOT entirely from reaper:(

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Yes, that was my reaction too. I hope you mean retirement from the email stream, NOT entirely from reaper:(

:blink:

• Like 2

Escaping just in time? Fleeing before Bones IV ships out huh? 

• Haha 6

I ended up adding green stuff to fix the gouge in the side of my troll, plus I also used the green stuff to correct the really bad gluing job on one of the shoulders.

It seemed easier to remove the mold lines on this material than on the old bones.

Nice figure, but it took a bit more work than I had expected to get it ready.

• Like 6