Sign in to follow this  
Reaper Ron

February Bones Black Promotional Mini - Rock Troll

My RT just arrived and I looked him over with a more critical eye than usual due to so many folks commenting.

Mine has the feet slightly off to fit in the base, but I will try the hot water method later and report back.

I really like the base! A very usable pattern to the terrain and will lend itself to modding.

Small gaps around the arm joints, but easily fillable.

Some mould lines, but not bad, one gouge on his side that will require a bit of filing and possible filling.

Overall, I like him. Good detail and far superior to minis from 20 or more years ago. Equal to most metal minis being made today. Considering that with his size and weight he would cost $20 ormore in metal he is a very good deal. 

• Like 8

Okay, hot water worked just fine to straighten the feet to the base. Here are pics so you can see what Binky looks like from the pack.

4HdUwxc.jpg

g4EhN7W.jpg

Tjtp8Iy.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Okay, hot water worked just fine to straighten the feet to the base. Here are pics so you can see what Binky looks like from the pack.

After seeing the bottom of his feet I want to cover them with a thin layer of wet paint and make itsy bitsy little footy prints over everything.

• Haha 14

I got mine at the weekend and apart from some easily fixable lines and small gaps he seems fine. Nothing that I would complain about to be honest.

My biggest concern is now how to make all the crystals that I'm planning to encrust him with, just so I can tell him apart from the one coming in the kickstarter ^_^

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I got mine at the weekend and apart from some easily fixable lines and small gaps he seems fine. Nothing that I would complain about to be honest.

My biggest concern is now how to make all the crystals that I'm planning to encrust him with, just so I can tell him apart from the one coming in the kickstarter ^_^

That is exactly how I felt.

• Like 3

Trigonal, tetragonal, or hexagonal modifications to the crystals, of course 

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Trigonal, tetragonal, or hexagonal modifications to the crystals, of course 

Uhhhh, why?

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Uhhhh, why?

Uh-Oh... here it comes... 

Remember: You asked! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

People keep saying "gouge" and that concerns me.

Are we talking about an actual gouge, as in the model was run against something and part of the model was removed.  Or are we talking about a gap, where two or more pieces were fitted poorly?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, strawhat said:

People keep saying "gouge" and that concerns me.

Are we talking about an actual gouge, as in the model was run against something and part of the model was removed.  Or are we talking about a gap, where two or more pieces were fitted poorly?

There is a spot on his left side where the sprue was removed. It may be slightly proud or it could easily leave a small hole. Look at he first two pics I posted and you can see it as a white spot on his left side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Okay, went over and scrubbed Binky and then hit the mould lines and gouge. The lines scraped off easily with an Xacto knife and the gouge was easily removed. I will prime it tomorrow and take a pic do you can see how it cleaned up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Uhhhh, why?

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Uh-Oh... here it comes... 

Remember: You asked! 

My ongoing and persistent annoyance at crystals being depicted inaccurately. Fantasy is not an excuse for unnatural symmetry. Crystals do not form with pentagonal symmetry :poke:

It is mostly be just being a mega-nerd on my favorite topic at this point. I fully intend to modify my troll to have proper crystals. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My RT came in today as well. The "gouge" is essentially the same as it was on my owlbear base - the sprue was clipped against the mini resulting in damage to the part it was removed from.  I would guess they've chosen to do it this way so the mini is "table ready" right out of the package. It does violate plastic model prep 101 that I learned when I was 12 and is not how I personally would prefer to see it done. Too bad it wasn't hidden somewhere, like the bottom of his foot.

OTOH his legs are off by only a millimeter or two, but I'll still try the hot water method to see how the material responds.

• Like 6

Received my troll a few minutes ago.

My thoughts are the same as Corsairs.

I do wish Bones Black minis came unassembled as I use a 2 part epoxy for assembly and that would easily have taken care of the small gaps.

• Like 4