Sign in to follow this  
Xiwo Xerase

77042: Orc Marauder (Sword and Shield)

Can you use 1" square base? If so, he could be mounted at the angle from corner to corner and gains some needed foot room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work!

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd say a) eyebrows and b) [contingent on your understanding of orcs!] rust on that metal. 

Looks burly and savage and orcish; I couldn't do so good a job in eight hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tabletop + for sure!

I find  the base a bit distracting, building it up with putty or using a bigger base for the next one will improve the look.

Anyway, good job overall!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shading worked out great - agree that eyebrows would add a lot for a quick touch - but this guy is great, love the browns and how his chain turned out.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Can you use 1" square base? If so, he could be mounted at the angle from corner to corner and gains some needed foot room.

Probably.  Past me decided to standardize on round bases though when I originally glued him to the base.

He had been waiting for paint for at least six months.

8 hours ago, Rigel said:

Excellent work!

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd say a) eyebrows and b) [contingent on your understanding of orcs!] rust on that metal. 

Looks burly and savage and orcish; I couldn't do so good a job in eight hours. 

Thanks!

I don't know that he needs eyebrows per se but he could use better definition of his eyebrow ridge.  (He's bald.  I don't know if this is because his tribe of orcs are naturally bald or if they shave their scalp and facial hair, including eyebrows.)

In the last fantasy campaign I planned, rust would be out of place on orcs.  The orcs had a limited supply of metal so they tended to take very good care of it.  (The armor spikes here would be bits they couldn't make use of otherwise.  Or maybe he's saving up for another sword.)

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Tabletop + for sure!

I find  the base a bit distracting, building it up with putty or using a bigger base for the next one will improve the look.

Anyway, good job overall!

Thanks!

Definitely a bigger base on the next one.

2 hours ago, Iridil said:

Shading worked out great - agree that eyebrows would add a lot for a quick touch - but this guy is great, love the browns and how his chain turned out.

Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

(He's bald.  I don't know if this is because his tribe of orcs are naturally bald or if they shave their scalp and facial hair, including eyebrows.)

In the last fantasy campaign I planned, rust would be out of place on orcs.  The orcs had a limited supply of metal so they tended to take very good care of it.  (The armor spikes here would be bits they couldn't make use of otherwise.  Or maybe he's saving up for another sword.)

Asked and answered! I love it when campaign world details get translated into paint. 

• Thanks 1

I like this desert marauder color scheme. You did an amazing work on it, your effort on the skin payed off.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rigel said:

Asked and answered! I love it when campaign world details get translated into paint. 

That said, I agree that rust or, at least, some damage to the sword would make the metal bits more interesting.  (And if they don't live where Cure Disease spells are readily available, rust on the spikes could be intended to inflict tetanus on foes.)

(I also... don't really know how to paint rust.  It's on the list of things to learn.)

3 hours ago, Warlady said:

Very nice skin tones!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Metalchaos said:

I like this desert marauder color scheme. You did an amazing work on it, your effort on the skin payed off.

Thanks!

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, Xiwo Xerase said:
On 1/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, Corsair said:

Probably.  Past me decided to standardize on round bases though when I originally glued him to the base.

He had been waiting for paint for at least six months. 

I painted these guys years ago and put them on square bases.  The sculpts which have fur under their chainmail have a slightly wider stance and actually extend past the 1" diagonal (1.4"/35mm) so they would likely reach the edge of a 40mm base.  See below how they fit on the square bases.

post-13211-0-73198300-1409545666_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

(I also... don't really know how to paint rust.  It's on the list of things to learn.)

Two bits of good news there: one, it's easy, and two, there are so many different rust colors and patterns that almost anything will work! It's like drybrushing, but chaotic and patchy. Described how I do mine in this thread here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83427-terraincrate-lost-mine-set-plus-some-extras/&tab=comments#comment-1771393 

• Like 1

This is great!  I'm painting this one now (from the learn to paint kit) and it is cool to see another take on it.  I found a Citadel oval base at my local game store that will fit this guy but it just feels so big when thinking about using him on a grid, would definitely take up at least 2 squares.