Sign in to follow this  
Spodi

Shaerileth, Spider Demoness bones durability

I wasn't satisfied with mine, her legs couldn't hold the body up.

So I chopped her up and will use the parts for something else.

If I ever want to paint this one, I will buy the metal one.

But that is just my copy I have seen others who seemed to be alright.

• Like 4

If I ever get around to painting mine I plan to use a clear flight stand to hold her up.  A second option would be to have her standing over something that acts as a support, such as how the big scorpion is over a pile of rocks.

• Like 6

I keep mine stored in the little plastic support cradle she came with, and only pull her out for games.

She doesn’t weigh as much as she looks. The abdomen is hollow.

In terms of weight versus structural support wouldn’t the metal version might have similar issues?

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 4

I don't have this mini, so I can't comment directly about it.

But I will say that every spider miniature I have painted, unless its legs are molded as a solid, I have mounted on a central post above a base. The legs don't even touch the ground on most of them. This means the weight of the mini is supported in the center instead of on the extremities, and it also opens up more possibilities for posing the mini.

It also means I have spiders on large (50mm or so) bases for ease of use in games, but their legs are far bigger than the base. Which I find helpful, ymmv.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

If I ever get around to painting mine I plan to use a clear flight stand to hold her up.  A second option would be to have her standing over something that acts as a support, such as how the big scorpion is over a pile of rocks.

Ditto

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think this would be a great candidate for black bones!

Unless there has been an update, the last I had heard, listening to Reaperlive, they aren't planning on converting older figures over to Bones Black; but I do agree that figures like her would be ideal!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Pingo said:

I keep mine stored in the little plastic support cradle she came with, and only pull her out for games.

She doesn’t weigh as much as she looks. The abdomen is hollow.

In terms of weight versus structural support wouldn’t the metal version might have similar issues?

The metal one was a nightmare. 

Night.

mare.

the legs all go in different angles, and they have to be pinned, and the fact that the abdomen is hollow is no comfort, because it is still fairly thick.

I will have to go look and see if I still have a picture of her. She fell apart several times and I eventually gave up. I think she went in the melt bin. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I've got the Bones version a while ago and she's shown no sign of collapse. She's even survived multiple attacks from a spider obsessed feline, shes a resilient lady for sure.

• Like 4

I didn't even try to use the legs when I painted her for a friend, as I was still skeptical of the Bones material. I hacked the legs off, used a thick sturdy wire armature and sculpted new ones using the old as reference.. Pretty easy to do, I wasn't a good sculptor then (and am not still), a bit time consuming, but I sleep at night just fine knowing she isn't buckling from the burden of her Kardashian proportions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Mine has survived being handled by over-zealous kids for a couple years...it has been sitting half painted so I don’t mind the kids playing with it.

That said, still holding the original leg positions and no issues.

• Like 3

Thanks all for the feedback. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Worst case, guess it wouldn't be too bad to have to put a clear stand under it when not in use.