TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Question for February 8, 2019

Coffee maker, pod, French Press, drip or percolator?

Tea infuser.

Failing that, tea bag

Still no? Barista.

• Like 7

I don't normally drink coffee.  When I do its at a diner.  Or made with the industrial Bun-o-matic on the sub I am working on.  At the house we have a Kuerig on the counter top, a drip pot in the attic, and a campfire percolator in with the camping stuff for emergencies and power outages.  Awesome Wife makes up for my lack of coffee drinking.

• Like 7

I've tried them all, currently use drip, would love to use a French press more often.

• Like 7

Not applicable, I don't drink coffee. Only ever had one cup of coffee in my life, because Starbucks screwed up my order from hot chocolate. But I didn't want to make a hassle in front of the girl I was interested in (and who had bought said coffee), so I choked it down.

I prefer my caffeine cold, carbonated, and canned.

• Like 7

As a few others have said, yes.  Yes with the coffee.  Mmmm, coffee. 

My usual choice at the moment is a hybrid of immersion and drip called the Clever Coffee Dripper.  Four minute total brew time, 25g of freshly ground (and preferably freshly roasted) whole bean coffee, 95g (give or take) of water for the initial bloom, at thirty second count on timer bring water up to total of 450g.  At 1m55s lid comes off, 2 minute mark Clever is placed on top of mug, and it takes another two minutes to empty into mug. 

So far, that's my favourite Clever recipe, so much so that the Espro P3 I was contemplating is now not even on my wishlist since I'm that happy with the Clever. 

However, if I'm in a rush there is a nice convenience factor behind a Keurig, although that might be replaced with a Nespresso at some point (the coffee maker, not the espresso maker) 

I also have a Bonavita coffee maker that brews a nice mug, but I tend to prefer Clever.  If I'm wanting good coffee and have time for the two minutes of prep (but not the ritual for Clever), I will use that.  Still tweaking my recipe for it though. 

Pourover like the Hario V60 II I've considered but those things are picky about every little thing...  And French Press you have to be careful about your methods if you want the most flavour without overwhelming the various notes. 

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.9353ebcbaa71638bcc2a8b351ef6df7c.png

Oooooh, hello gorgeous.  Does it pull a proper shot of espresso by chance, and do the latte part by itself? 

23 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

That depends. How much of a rush am I in?

This.  So much this.  It really does depend on the time available.  Keurig has the benefit of being relatively quick and easy to make, but there's just soemthing magical about a hybrid of pour over and immersion brewing techniques. 

• Like 6

@WhiteWulfe this is a senseo machine. It works with pads.

There are pads which can do the coffee part while you do the milk thing separate.

We do that for hot chocolate for example.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

None of the above.

Mine comes in little sachets.

• Like 8

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:50 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 7: What kind of brushes do you prefer/use?  What sizes?

R&Co Series 33, sizes 0, 1 or sometimes 2.  I had a W&N series 7 that liked to split so I used it for base coating.  I probably would also love a proper one.  

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Currently drip, but I miss having an espresso maker.  Americanos used to be my jam.  When we're camping or out of power we use an aeropress, I should use it more often.  

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

@WhiteWulfe this is a senseo machine. It works with pads.

We had one of those for a long time but it was getting very difficult to get the coffee pads/pods for it.  Not quite as good as espresso, but much less work.  

• Like 6

Mr. Coffee. 

Although the long term goal is to eventually get my hands on an industrial sized Bunn. 

• Like 4

On 2/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, TaleSpinner said:

For my birthday last year, my husband bought a set of brushes from the Artis Opus kickstarter. I got them in a couple months ago and they are so good! I do almost everything with their 1, but I like using their super teeny brush for fun sometimes. I struggled a lot with my first W&N S7 splitting. My second one did the same. I'm interested in trying the Raphaels since they are much longer than the Artis Opus brushes and I read that the longer length and fuller belly is good for wet blending.

I also have a large handful of various craft brushes that I got at a garage sale. I use those for metallics, basing, drybrushing, and basecoating rough areas.

I prefer tea, especially jasmine green tea. I don't like the taste of coffee but it does smell delicious! I've always thought a vanilla coffee body spray would be super energizing in the morning. :lol: 

I'm actually on the lookout for a cheap coffee grinder so I can make more basing materials myself.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 8

On 2/6/2019 at 5:30 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 6: Detailed Integral Bases, Brocolli Integral Bases, Slot Tab, Pins, Other?  What style of mini base do you prefer and why?

I really like the detailed integral bases. It saves me time and resources in having to build one myself. I don't have anything against building them myself but if I can save my basing materials I will.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:50 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I'm very fond of my R&Co Series 33 round sables, mostly 0's, and their Eclipse synthetics in lots of shapes and sizes. I also have lots of cheap synthetics that serve their purposes in tons of sizes.

• Like 8