TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Feb 1:  What are you looking forward to in February this year?

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

I'm looking forward to digging into figure drawing (this year in general, but getting traction in Feb). Our sessions are steadily getting more popular, and work is going to be starting on the studio spaces, so that's going to be amazing, at some point. I'd also like to finish up my 2018 portrait this month :D

As far as home studio stuff this weekend....likely nothing. I may get some studies done while watching Zimou Tan's webinar, but it's probably more features review, so I may just work on my value strips, which I left off on last weekend.... Also, as with every weekend now, figure drawing session.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Two big things I guess, my band starts rehearsing for a May gig. My band is a 90s cover band, Oddjob Policy. Sample song from our last Halloween gig (non-commerce):
https://www.facebook.com/Oddjobpolicy/posts/2181890268739570?__xts__[0]=68.ARAAXkHvNBiYgf72FVGD4M-_vc6ehaV82VawvnYPsNiuoIwIITZY8HTKY7309pvOGMXb-RuNonFsKjzeI9K5MvgendZaOERAQagIrgNqdVtJIKIYSWxYfUxhLi7qFQbbITEHU4Db-s0ad3J4BM8rm32FGDAYk9hxWD9Asvt3S8U-pSrZB-FdzcvVFjsQcvUg9bQFZ02aSHhpQoA2zcFA4qiyvxkp77sHTdZccetDPyxRZYeqIl36g_8oLnXh8zW7jlwPflAUT-9Y4vsr-wBiOU_HbXjRBsaSifi4_g4NhMCSzY8Z3xhe4hfs9f49Sbw9mh04jjbd8J4lKpcTSkZUCxWi9zskKeggYC1QTT1ZfzEfvnUAbvf4iC28eN1sMbCsWVX31Aa0CQ_8Ms2wFFVb0SXs1wHhpPpTtZr0T75_S8IqXROKGmH1Xe_7E9baf_gqe8RFzVFknpv1SBDSTEFNUebb6yQQWQ5J_W3tzA_seKaPBcr1rwB9D-lqA_aGL5oOoF7wQsLu_A&__tn__=-R

Oh my that's a long link. Anyway we haven't practiced since Halloween, so it'll be fun to get back at it.

The second would be the return of Kings of War to my gaming table. We had to take a couple months off as no one's schedule llined up and we usually only play once a month anyway (all day though, since one of our main players comes from an hour and a half away), but it will be nice to get back at it. I've got several new units finished that haven't seen the table yet.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 9

On 12 and 13 February, the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust is hosting a theater workshop for middle and high school students. Four or five 1-hour periods each day, with 15 to 40 students in each. Each period is also a single school. Nissiana and I will be there as teaching artists, explaining techniques in unarmed stage combat. In years past, we've taught kids how to fall down without hurting themselves, how to (appear to) slam a partner's face off a table or wall, and how to (appear to) choke a partner. We emphasize the "(appear to)" and the "partner" parts of the lesson, and although the techniques we teach change from year to year (we have seen some students several years running, so we have to keep it fresh), we always teach that you can ALWAYS ask a director to show you how a thing is done safely if you're not comfortable with it. You'd be surprised how many directors decide getting actually hit in the face is unnecessary only after they've been asked to take the hit themselves. 

(Quick rant: I have never seen, in almost 15 years of performing and producing staged fights, a situation where a contact slap to the face was actually necessary. There are techniques to make an effective-looking (and sounding!) slap happen without contact whether you are on a proscenium, thrust or arena stage, and no amount of "verisimilitude" is worth the very real risk of corneal laceration, broken orbitals, permanent deafness, crushed tracheas or fractured mandibles which comes with contact to the face (even with a "properly executed" technique).

If you are directing a show that requires a slap, if you don't feel fully confident in teaching a non-contact technique yourself, BUDGET FOR A FIGHT CHOREOGRAPHER. A single slap IS A FIGHT for the purpose of hiring choreo.

/Rant)

... Anyway, we're a popular class with the teens, and this workshop is super fun. It's also a great chance to talk shop with other area artists that I don't always get to work with otherwise. Plus it's a paycheck and free lunch! What's not to like?

Weekend Projects?

So, my painting won't happen over the weekend, because the Gorgon/Medusa I'm painting right now is at work. But weekend projects include building a few Impudent Mortal paint racks and caulking the downstairs shower. I may take a picture of the racks once I'm home, we'll see.

Edited by Sanael
Correction of typos which may have been misleading
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

I'm looking forward to Guy At Work being okay.

Wow.  I hope he's okay too.  And I hope you're okay.

Thank you for taking the time to help him, even though your co-workers didn't.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Airbrushing 101 class with Caleb Wissenback & Kat Jackson.

• Like 11

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

Looking forward to the Missus and I going on a cruise at the end of the month.

No, you don't get to see the workbench. Nyah!

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Don't have a lot of plans for February.  The weather is cold and unpleasant and this is usually our stay home and save for the rest of the year period.  Two rpg weekends later this month, and some minis to finish for that.  Lots of mold in the basement yet to clean up: stuff to move and boxes to sort.  Seeing my rheumatologist next week to talk about the crappy care and ineffective drugs I got last year and hopefully get 2019 on track. 

Will post photos tomorrow. 

• Like 6

Plans for February: Get paid!

What's on my hobby bench? Dear wife has just told me that one leg has fallen off my painting table, so literally NOTHING is on it.::(: Glad I packed up before I came away.

@NebulousMissy: Very well done for doing the right thing. Situations like that always sort out the sheep from the goats. And it's nearly always the quiet, unassuming person who steps forward and takes on the problem. I hope your co-worker makes a full recovery and can thank you in person.

• Like 9

We have a new employee starting on Monday, and I am super excited for that. He'll fully double the full-time engineering staff!

If things stay relaxed enough, I am also hoping to attend as TotalCon in a couple of weeks. I go most years, but with the long vacation I just had, it may be challenging to justify taking any time off.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Nothing is springing to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

My Badger order to arrive so I can figure out this airbrush thing.

I'll be out of town, so no workbench this weekend.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's going to be a quiet month for me, I'm saving money for a mini-holiday in March so any "fun money" is going towards that. So I guess I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time at home hopefully painting through the shelf of shame a bit!

• Like 6

A few racks, since I said I'd take photos:

IMG_20190201_175355144.thumb.jpg.9e52999236db27162dc87df33f33b4ec.jpg

At left, a drying MDF open box to hold the acrylic modular units, and a clear acrylic drawer. At right, an MDF dropper-bottle rack and a modular acrylic tool-storage unit. The acrylic is hard to read in the photo, sorry about that.

Most of this is done. I have another open box to build, then I need to figure out how I'm mounting these to the wall. I think I'm going to have to screw rails into the studs, then place the racks on the rails (because my house is old, and my studs are not on consistent centers). Regardless, I will likely post photos once it's all organized.

I might also be painting a wall, and possibly hanging some pictures this weekend. I dunno.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

With any luck, tomorrow, I will visit the North America HQ of Scale 75. The occasion is the regular monthly meeting of the NTFC which is a painter’s club. Here is their Facebook page.

After that I have a new computational device to configure and learn about. 

This is a reference picture for something I will try to sculpt:

F69D2F74-5444-43D2-A66E-E1B36596F004.thumb.jpeg.760aac97fd2ae6e3b09c41456e0c7215.jpeg

Can anybody tell me why lighthouses frequently have spherical finial knobs right at the top?  Castle towers with cone roofs usually do not. 

My paint bench is a disaster zone, I will go snap a picture of it and share, it is pretty bad, brace yer’selves:

1C345892-BB24-49A7-B786-F15857883FBF.jpeg.7a335ef52016a7602e9dba3902e07a50.jpeg

I guess the closest thing to Show Center is either one of Jeff Hunt’s 18th century Men-of-War or a Reaper Anhuran Man-at-Arms.

Edited by TGP
Sorry if the lighthouse picture loads slow...
  • Like 12