TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

24 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for, Sun., Feb. 10:

What websites (such as, but not limited to, social media) do you actively avoid at all costs?

Facebook

Twitter

Sites that want me to pay money to view content

Sites that want me to use my real name. I joined the internet in the 90s, do you have any idea what we got up to then? :ph34r:

Edited by NebulousMissy
  • Like 7

On 2/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Sat, Feb 9: What social media sites do you frequent (other than this one)?

Last decade I was on quite a few forums, but as they've declined and been replaced by the facebooks of the world so has my usage.  Really this one is the only one I'm very active on.

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

What websites (such as, but not limited to, social media) do you actively avoid at all costs?

What she said.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, TGP said:

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Snapchat

Anything that wants me to pay to join.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, TGP said:

Specific websites don't pop to mind. I don't like sites with tons of ads and pictures that takes forever to load. I really hate those recipe blogs where you have to scroll through twenty yards of someone's dumb personal history to get to the recipe. Especially when they have a bazillion ads that keep moving the screen back up as they load. So annoying! :angry: 

I don't actively avoid things like instragram or twitter, I just don't care to use them. I really don't think my life is interesting enough that I need to share it like that. Same with Facebook; I have it, but I don't really use it much.

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, TGP said:

Pretty much the entirety of social media. I primarily view the internet as a research tool and source of new things to feed my reading addiction. This place is the exception to that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Snapchat

Anything that wants me to pay to join.

This in a nutshell.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Anything that mentions or glorifies the Kardashians or Kardashian-related things. My heart can't take the blood pressure spike.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Pintrest (the interface just annoys me and it's impossible to track things back to where they originally came from)

Anything with a paywall/adblock wall.

Fox "news"

Slideshow sites

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Facebook.  How I loathe Facebook.  Instagram and Pinterest are on there too, first due to being owned by Facebook, and the second because if you don't have a membership it tries to pull stunts on you... Yet it floods Google image searches with all sorts of results. 

Tumblr is now on the list because of the stupidity they pulled, and the nuking of so many artist communities (and communities in general) overnight because they went with an algorithm that seems to target everything. 

Other contenders are... 

- any website that tries to pull some sort of browser hijack-like behaviour just because I'm using an adblocker

- websites that put up nag screens because I'm using an ad blocker (stop using ad networks and actually fully verify your ads, I might consider it) 

- websites that try and extort a subscription out of you (this is "x of y free articles for this month") 

- websites that outright refuse to let you in because you're using an ad blocker

- websites that are poorly coded (usually with the new style of pop-ups for "sign up to our mailing list and get x% off your first order!" pop-ups... Which unless you clicked the dismiss button (that can't be seen, because adblocker didn't let said pop-up load as a safety measure) make it so the website cannot be used

Pretty much that. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I don't think I avoid any particular site.

I guess I can say that there are certain channels I avoid or unsubscribe from on YouTube and Facebook because of poor quality, poor content, excessive negativity, or just anything that makes it an unpleasant experience. Think climate change deniers; flat earthers; far right/left partisans; religious extremists.

Comment sections are something I should avoid more. It is a very rare event to see someone change their minds and do a 180° when given proper facts.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I don't think there are any websites I actively avoid.

I try to avoid Facebook as much as possible but there's only so much I can do.  There are local businesses who only post updates via Facebook.

I actively avoid creating a Facebook account because I don't trust the company with my data.  I didn't trust them years ago and they have proven repeatedly I was right not to trust them.

• Like 6

Let's see here...

Bases: I've only recently starting doing much with bases. The integral bases on the bones miniatures were enough for me. Then I branched out into some figures without a base or with a slotted base and realized I needed to learn what I was doing. I've yet to develop a firm opinion on the subject though since I've only been doing it for a brief time. 

Brushes: I am rough on brushes. So I go with whatever is cheapest at the art store or just grab a bunch of army painter brushes when I'm at the game store. I typically use between a 5/0 up to a 5. I have been considering investing in a couple of nicer brushes just to see if they are that much better, so it's been nice reading through folks opinions to get an idea of what to get. 

Coffee: for my work thermos it's a standard drip coffeemaker, for cold brew and when brewing it for beer making it's a french press, for espresso I use a steam espresso maker (thinking of upgrading), and when I walk down to the coffee store for a cup it's a pour over. I've got a stove top percolator but it's been near a decade since I used it. 

Social Media/Websites: I've got a Facebook and a Reddit account and that's pretty much it. I don't go out of my way to avoid any websites or social media with the exception of the basics (anything hate filled, agenda driven, or likely to put me on a watchlist for going there). Social media is what it is... it can be a fun place to look at pictures of cats, discuss hobbies, and keep up to date with loved ones. Or it can be a toxic cesspool of misinformation, fear mongering, and endless echo chambers. But for the most part ithese sites allow the user to selectively censor what they see. So basically, if I see a use for social media service, then it becomes another tool in the communication toolbox. That being said, Facebook has just become too ad driven of an experience lately, so I find myself using it less and less. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Specific websites don't pop to mind. I don't like sites with tons of ads and pictures that takes forever to load. I really hate those recipe blogs where you have to scroll through twenty yards of someone's dumb personal history to get to the recipe. Especially when they have a bazillion ads that keep moving the screen back up as they load. So annoying! :angry: 

I don't actively avoid things like instragram or twitter, I just don't care to use them. I really don't think my life is self-obsessed enough that I need to show off about it like that. Same with Facebook; I have it, but I don't really use it much.

FTFY

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, TGP said:

This substitute question was inspired by all and sundry (many answers for the previous Question, Feb 9th, volunteered information about sites worth giving a miss).

Two of mine are Bell Of Lost Souls (sometimes known as BoLS) and msnbc.com

BoLS — besides the inauspicious name, it was an early adopter of the despicable technique of burying the content of interest in a teeming cesspool of adverts. 

msnbc/msn.com — this one made my avoid list thanks to @Mad Jack (note that he did nothing objectionable) but it is the news outlet he usually posts links from,  when he posts news of strange or odd things to The Randomness Thread. The topics are typically :blink::upside:::D:, or :wow: ...and therefore interesting. But, Everytime I go there msn locks up my little mobile’s web browser. All my tabs get lost and closed, I have to restart, re-login to stuff... ...bad form msn, bad form. 

I won’t rehash any of my woes with fb or any of its brethren social media. Prior responders have largely covered it. 

~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully, @TaleSpinner Will have a new question in a few hours. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I loathe any site that constantly hassles you to sign up for an account when you're browsing it.  So I primarily avoid Facebook and Pintrest. ::P:

• Like 3