TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

Just now, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 11: Do you collect anything, (aside for minis of course)?  (Pictures welcome)

transformers (they're kind of all still in moving boxes at the moment)

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 11: Do you collect anything, (aside for minis of course)?  (Pictures welcome)

Apparently I collect books and MST3K and Doctor Who DVDs.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Star trek books? RPGs? 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I actively try to resist my inclinations to collect things (which I am bad at), or at least keep them to a manageable level (which I am much better at).  One of these days I hope to transcend to the point that I can divest myself of more things. :lol:

To actually answer the question though, I tend to collect books, woodworking tools, video games, and, apparently, cats (we have 4). ::P:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Swords. (no pics until I can get the living room finished and put them on display)

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Dust and dirty dishes! I don't get many visitors.

I've never been much of a collector type person. Sure, I sometimes purchase stuff that is part of a collection, but nothing that warrants special treatment. Even when I was a regular gamer, I never tried to get all of the books, just those pertinent to the occasion.

When I think about it, paints and minis really are a curious exception for me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

On 2/9/2019 at 12:11 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Sat, Feb 9: What social media sites do you frequent (other than this one)?

I check in on Facebook semi-regularly, although I don't post very much.

I frequent the Battletech community forums

I think that's about it.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't collect anything...other than dust as Cranky Dog does. Even the things I make & paint are only waiting here until I find them homes.

It is the creating I am into. I travel light.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yup, I enjoy collecting and shooting vintage firearms. Here's one from 1905:

8hkTktI.jpg

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast figurines. 

My ex-wife worked p/t for the Disney store when the original animated film came out, and I had commented  in a random conversation with one of her co-workers that Belle was my favorite princess because she loved books.  So for my birthday that year, my ex bought me a Belle figurine.   It spiraled out of control from there.   This is just the top shelf of my collection:
IMG_2567.thumb.JPG.3cf33d9f0af162a883f90da7049d45c5.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

I don't intentionally collect anything, but I think I've mentioned before that I have a knack for accidentally collecting clocks.  Somehow they just seem to accumulate, like dust bunnies. :unsure:

Here are a few of the more interesting ones.  (Yes I know the blue one has a number missing - it had an accident at some point.)

Spoiler

clock1.thumb.jpg.624cf165017e39775dee697260f05b99.jpg

clock2.jpg.d7ec9eac38f738fdbf18241e15d94348.jpg

clock4.jpg.767432e43cebd888e917075ac0d3fc39.jpg

clock3.jpg.842f04a4972a0b311cd232e61132469d.jpg

• Like 10

On 2/9/2019 at 12:11 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Sat, Feb 9: What social media sites do you frequent (other than this one)?

FB, YT, Insta and Twit to a lesser degree. FB is home to a lot of art groups, so that's a mainstay.

Then there's some communities built up around classes and workshops I've done, mostly FB but also some custom forums.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have a few guitars, but wouldn't consider it collecting. I don't have that kind of money!

I'm slowly collecting artwork from friends when I can. I also have a couple nice Patrick Jones pieces, but again, I don't have the kind of money to get serious about collecting art. One reason I began learning to paint was to get more art for my walls...

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

So, other people's definitions vary, but in my book, it's collecting if you are going for sets and there is a catalog.  So I have a few thematic accumulations of things that I don't count as collections...

But, in terms of the usual sorts of things, I have been trying to avoid collecting things lately.  The collecting genes run in my family, and I don't want to end up as a hoarder. ::P: I have done coins in the past, and I might get back to stamps again one of these days.  The prices of moderately rare stamps have been dropping for quite a while as the collector population passes on.

For Buglips:

IMG_3363.thumb.JPG.3a8099013dea9ba23598db0f242fe98a.JPG

And a fine example of allegorical figures gone too far, Canadian electric light tax stamps.  Yes, she's wearing a tiara of light bulbs...

IMG_3364.thumb.JPG.ed77cb753434f15b7b913f2a8f543f75.JPG

• Like 11