TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 11: Do you collect anything, (aside from minis of course)?  (Pictures welcome)

Books. I have lots. 

Coins. I do this stupid thing with US Quarters that I get in change, I keep the ones with fancy designs and spend away the older ones. 

Diecast cars. I have an eclectic collection that are maybe 1/43 or 1/56 or 1/60. And I have a bunch of the much smaller Matchbox® Sized (mostly Hot Wheels® brand) cars. 

That last category has certain sub-categories/themes: LeMans style race cars, childhood friends (every now and then I spot a remake of a favorite from when I was a kid), Railroadville USA, and the newest category which is: conversion fodder for Gaslands!

“Railroadville USA” means cars that would look about right on the streets of a model railroad layout (if HO Scale and Hot Wheels Scale were actually a good match and I won the Powerball or some other such outlandish jackpot and I could afford a mansion with the space for a model trains layout complete with town). 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 11: Do you collect anything, (aside for minis of course)?  (Pictures welcome)

I was going to say nothing, but upon further consideration I have enough video games gathering dust (real & virtual for my Steam account) that I may well qualify as a collector.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Auberon said:

I was going to say nothing, but upon further consideration I have enough video games gathering dust (real & virtual for my Steam account) that I may well qualify as a collector.

Wait those count as well?

Then uhhhh...:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb. 11: Do you collect anything, (aside for minis of course)?  (Pictures welcome)

Because I rarely get rid of any after I read or play them I’m going to have to say books and video games. (I still have the box for my Atari 2600)

During the time I was Out Of The Hobby in the ‘90’s I got into collecting Star Trek action figures and ships by Playmates. That continued for a while with Trek ships from other companies and eventuallly included some Star Wars action figures and a few from other franchises. I’ll still pick up the odd figure or bobble head that catches my interest, but mainly all my collection from back then is in boxes in the garage along with a lot of my childhood toys.

Where I lived previously I had a spare room where I had a lot of my collection on display, but I don’t where I’m living now.

And I also have a lot of pins and lanyards from Disney, video games, promos from convention and from work.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Is that Untapped? If so I downloaded that once when I saw a brewery I was at had a live feed behind the bar showing which of their beers users just tried. It also would flash your profile picture real big on the screen for a second. So I of course downloaded the app immediately and started logging in all their beers just so other patrons would be forced to look at a picture of my cats. Haven't used it since, but I do kind of like the idea. 

It is, and clearly I get a bit of use out of it. I don't really treat it like a social network, more of a check list, but if you want to friend me, please do!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Wait those count as well?

Then uhhhh...:ph34r:

You're at the 250+ mark too huh? 

(I think my count on Steam alone is 469 or so...) 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Also Buglips clones, though I suppose that's rolled into the first answer as well.

Thankfully there are no pics of this collection. :lol: 

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

You're at the 250+ 20 mark too huh? 

(I think my count on Steam alone is 469 20 or so...) 

FTFY. Did you forget goblin math???

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, TripleH said:

FTFY. Did you forget goblin math???

Nah, foxes use real math. ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Having just moved, I have discovered that I collect entirely too much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Oh right, for today's question I totally forgot to add in that I collect redacted.  Shiny and colourful redacted. :devil:::P:

Anyways, as promised... Let's see what I can show off in my collection of computer parts...

Please note: these are just the ones I can find at the moment - I have more motherboards stashed in the bedroom in the dresser, since it wasn't being used for clothes! ^_^;;;;

Spoilered due to a decent amount of images.

Spoiler

IMG_20190211_183845.thumb.jpg.298b797c652a1491eac222c658e8d7e1.jpg

^A couple trays of CPUs.  Most are LGA 775 (enthusiast CPUs), and there's a half dozen or so LGA 771 (server CPUs) in there too.  Lone one on top is apparently Socket 370.  Weird rubbery thing in plastic bag is a silicon fan gasket, for quietening down fan rattling if need be, the various plastic dropper vial thingies (whatever they're called, tubes?) are all thermal paste of differing types (I usually have 2-3 different ones depending on what I'm doing that day).

Eventually, I'm hoping to have a full set of the LGA 775 Wolfdale CPUs, which will take a while because there's 13 Core 2 Duo's (excluding engineering samples), 13 Pentiums, and 4 Celerons in that family...  I think I'm at about halfway there, give or take - I'd have to check my notes to be certain.

IMG_20190211_184006.thumb.jpg.99cf4ac11a766c735b456463b2c9c2ec.jpg

^My memory/RAM drawer.  It's mostly DDR2 of various speeds, but most are PC2 6400's (DDR2-800), with a few PC2 9600's (aka DDR-1200) in there.  Yeah, just a few sets.  Joys of being a bencher, you collect things, doubly so since a lot of the boards you're looking for wind up being paired with a bunch of other things (processors, RAM, sometimes video cards) when sold.  I'm going to have to find a way to organize this so I can show off all the kits, but not have things shift when it opens...  Silver ones on the top in the middle row were my previous best set of DDR3 DIMMs, and tuned just right will let me push them to twice their rated speed, but I have another pair of DDR3 DIMMs that play better with LGA 775, and have much tighter timings too.

IMG_20190211_184027.thumb.jpg.bac5f83eb4264f0f6a33c0c6f710842d.jpg

^First motherboard I killed.  Pity, because it was my best DDR2 memory tweaking board.  Kind of accidentally shorted out all the power rails together though.  Oops.

It was also my first upgrade from the board I didn't take a picture of...

IMG_20190211_184053.thumb.jpg.975be247f611ef9faac9f10770d19ee7.jpg

^My current "modern" benching setup.  Used to be hubby's old rig, gave him a few issues here and there.  Refuses to die despite the abuse I've put it through, so it gets frozen again sometime soon, once I get a few more things dialled in first.

IMG_20190211_184123.thumb.jpg.374bbc20d7cdeaee4c2a00557026b63b.jpg

^First row of the GPU drawer.

EVGA GTX 780 Classified on the top left, Asus GTX 9800DX or some such top right, and of course an EVGA 9500 GT up front...

IMG_20190211_184145.thumb.jpg.869541172e1c7a8d9636dee0757a24ed.jpg

^Ahhh, a few classics...

OEM (pulled from a Dell) 8800 GTX top left, PNY 8800 GTS top right, Sapphire HD 6850, and EVGA 8800 GT.

IMG_20190211_184230.thumb.jpg.37899739e0ea540a2e62514fad05713d.jpg

^Tucked elsewhere in the living room, I have a few spare CPU heatsinks, but also my "main" AMD benching rig, a Crosshair IV Formula with a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition in it.  One of these days I'll get a more up to date setup, but I kind of prefer benching the old stuff, as odd as that sounds.  Probably because it's a lot cheaper to acquire parts....

IMG_20190211_184245.thumb.jpg.763fb04a5cd4d17a747caa32c6ec7076.jpg

^And under that board is my one and only AM2 board, and one of the few boards I have that also has a graphics card built right onto it.  One of these days it'll see my bench again.

IMG_20190211_184811.thumb.jpg.fb73b6aa84d9bb1d87ea3fc52a18e29b.jpgIMG_20190211_184821.thumb.jpg.a11b11f8b89542912fd6dafa77bc77d0.jpg

^My main benching rig, with my current favourites on it.  Stand is the OpenBenchtable (Community Edition, Serial #47), motherboard is the downright gorgeous Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme, and those Hypers (the DIMMs that are black with a red heatsink on top) are an absolute blast to bench with.  Oh right, my second HD 6850 is on said bench too.

As for that little puppy, it's something I picked up thirty years or so ago at a garage sale my grandparents (on dad's side) took me to on Vancouver Island, I didn't know what the text said (and didn't notice it until parents pointed it out)....  And it was a gift to my parents.  For many years, they held onto that.... Then when they were contemplating throwing it out, I knicked it off of them, and it's been in most of my benching rig shots ever since.  Usually he's just behind the keyboard though, I put him up there because that way he's actually visible.  Whenever I beat someone else's hardware medal score, I make sure he's ohhh so visible in my rig shot, just as a cute little touch...

Not pictured are the cooling pots I'm slowly starting to collect for benching, even if I only have two at the moment - a Kingpin Dragon F1 Extreme Dark w/Extension (with "gold" hold down, aka IT'S ORANGE!!!), and an old Duniek (my first cooling pot.  It did the job, but isn't anywhere near as stable as my Dragon F1 is.  At some point I'll upgrade to the v5 hold down, at which point it'll be the red one more than likely I go with, since the new gold one is.... Terrible looking to me.  I also need to get my paws on Kingpin's Inferno Socket Heater, because it solves a LOT of problems you can get with condensation.  I also want a Tek-9 Fat from Kingpin Cooling (sorry Corsair, it isn't an actual Tek-9) but I'll have to find out why Vince doesn't have those listed on his site anymore...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yup, I enjoy collecting and shooting vintage firearms. Here's one from 1905:

My parents firearm collection neatly brackets that - a civil war pistol and a 1950's air rifle.  It is not an extensive collection, especially for Rural Missouri.

they keep them with an oar and a supersoaker in the built-in gun cabinet. I get my whimsy genetically. 

Feb. 11: Do you collect anything?

I guess I collect RPG games, but nearly everything was played, and some of it to tatters. 

books, only in the last few years have I decided that some of my collection is never going to get read again, and I might be willing to part with it.  but on the other hand its not doing in harm just sitting on my shelves... 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Feb 12: How good are you about using the appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment) when the situation warrants it?*

*He asks as he sits here with bronchitis like symptoms coughing up gold dust from last nights polishing endeavors without a mask on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 12: How good are you about using the appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment) when the situation warrants it?*

*He asks as he sits here with bronchitis like symptoms coughing up gold dust from last nights polishing endeavors without a mask on.

PPE?? We're supposed to use that????

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Considering I made a career out of working prisons and high-violence parolees, very, very good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

At work?  Usually pretty good about it, and not just because I'm supposedly on the health and safety committee (I say supposedly because I'm not on the sheets, and never get the email invites to the actual meetings).  There's also the fact that a number of my customers are rather specific about such things.

At home?  Depends on what I'm doing, but usually I'll use things like push sticks when operating wood cutting machinery (because that's how I was taught, dad had a lot of "only one rule" kind of scenarios, with the bandsaw it was use push sticks or you aren't allowed to use it!  Aka that one rule was "don't be stupid"), and when using a dremel I usually will wear safety glasses....

In between like driving?  I refuse to put the vehicle in drive (or in gear) if my passenger isn't wearing their seat belt, and I have actually kicked people out of my car in the past for taking their seat belt off while vehicle was in motion...  No, I stopped, I didn't kick them out while moving, that's just cruel! :P

But then you have stuff like dry ice being dropped into an acetone bath (couple of cap fulls into cooling pot) with overclocking...  I'm..  Not always the smartest with that stuff (things like putting my head right over the cooling pot to look in and see the "boil" dry ice causes), or not ventilating quiiiite well enough.

• Like 6