TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 12: How good are you about using the appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment) when the situation warrants it?*

*He asks as he sits here with bronchitis like symptoms coughing up gold dust from last nights polishing endeavors without a mask on.

I've committed PPE sins while hobbying; didn't wear a dust-mask when I probably should have, spray-primed inside my tiny apartment once or thrice (at least I had a window open). Only took a couple times for me to realize I should be doing better, especially since I worked in chemical labs when I began hobbying. Then I wore gloves, masks, and took advantage of having a several empty fumehoods to spray prime in safely.

Professionally, I had to be more careful. While working on campus, the student workers hired in my lab often had no chemical background and would do leave a mess or do stupid things (I did not do the hiring). When I switched to industry, had to be even more careful because the plant workers didn't care much about the safety of the QC people; they'd bring us sample vials still coated on the outside with whatever had been in the reactor. Sometimes they'd wipe it off with a rag, but it still wasn't safe to handle with bare hands. A few times they brought a sample that hadn't been properly quenched.

Nowadays, I rarely work without my PPE. Gloves, safety glasses, tetanus shot, no spraying indoors. My favorite piece of PPE? A sewing thimble: if I need to scrape/cut a moldline towards my finger, the thimble goes on the finger. Saves me a lot of band-aids.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

But my thinky-box still workyworks a bit, so I'm guess those braim cells were just spares anywhat.  

Survival of the fittest. ::D:

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

I will say though, when its 100+ degrees out (farenheit) with better than 80 percent humidity and you've got a five mile hike ahead of you to see where a pipeline crosses a bunch of streams, those fireproof overalls can feel like a real burden. But hey, I'd rather be sweaty than covered with third degree burns. 

Ummmm. Don't you really need a different suite of protective gear to do a hike in those conditions? Why wouldn't you change from the hiking gear to the fireproof overalls after about 4.8 miles of the hike is done and you are only ~three hundred yards out from the pipeline? 

Or am I reading this wrong?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 12: How good are you about using the appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment) when the situation warrants it?*

*He asks as he sits here with bronchitis like symptoms coughing up gold dust from last nights polishing endeavors without a mask on.

Considering that at my old workplace I sat on the OH&S committee and I was the only one driving the large vehicle that could squish people, I find PPE to be extremely relevant.

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

While hobbying I use masks, gloves, and goggles when I need to.

At work... I wish I could spray these plague bearers down with Lysol, but for some reason they won't let me. -_-

You're pregnant, this is the exact time to be able to get away with these things. :lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I try to avoid ingestion or inhalation of particulates, less diligent about fumes.  But my thinky-box still workyworks a bit, so I'm guess those braim cells were just spares anywhat.  

Yeah but 2 of those remaining brain cells are giving CPR to the other 2...

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

25 minutes ago, TGP said:

Ummmm. Don't you really need a different suite of protective gear to do a hike in those conditions? Why wouldn't you change from the hiking gear to the fireproof overalls after about 4.8 miles of the hike is done and you are only ~three hundred yards out from the pipeline? 

Fair point. 2 reasons. First, that particular hike actually follows the path of the pipeline. So we are rarely more than about 20 meters away from it. Second, the gas company owns all the property we are hiking on and requires we are wearing it at all times. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

In college? Decent considering the lack of resources. I wore my goggles when the situation demanded full lab aprons, gloves, respirators and the goggles. Because "goggles" was the only one of those 4 we had access to. Ah, funding...

Today? Sure. I can wield a Form 11377 like nobody's business.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

At work? - Military, so always.

Doing choires or DIY at home? Always.

Hobby - I use a mask when spraying, prefer to do that outside, I do admit I do not always wear gloves when using putties.

I don't lick the brush or drink paintwater, I have glued objects to my hands a few times.

I'm doing better than when I was young, I painted with enamels in those days and used to wash my hands with thinner to get the paint of my hands.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I try to avoid ingestion or inhalation of particulates, less diligent about fumes.  But my thinky-box still workyworks a bit, so I'm guess those braim cells were just spares anywhat.  

Don't be alarmed, folks. Buglips is alright, he's just speaking Newfie.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:
3 hours ago, TGP said:

Fair point. 2 reasons. First, that particular hike actually follows the path of the pipeline. So we are rarely more than about 20 meters away from it. Second, the gas company owns all the property we are hiking on and requires we are wearing it at all times. 

Got it. I was reading it wrong.

~~~~~~~

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Today? Sure. I can wield a Form 11377 like nobody's business.

She’s not joking...

Employees may complete Form 11377 or Form 11377-E by close of business on the day of the access and forward the signed copy to their manager to document certain inadvertent accesses when one of the following situations occurs:

—Accessed tax return information in error (such as accidentally entering an incorrect taxpayer identification number);

—Accessed tax return or tax information of another IRS employee on an assigned case before recognizing the individual as someone known to the employee;

—Accessed tax return or tax information on an assigned case of an individual or organization before recognizing it as belonging to a person or business with whom the employee has a personal or business relationship;

—Researched other taxpayer's information as it related to an assigned case; and

—Received requests from management to access taxpayer information on...

:ik_oops::blink:

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

Got it. I was reading it wrong. 

Nope, I probably should have elaborated. But there are sites where we will pack in the safety gear and change when we get close. Good call there.

Off topic: Last year I met with a pipeline inspector who just sat uphill and flew a neat little drone down to the bottom of the valley and used his laptop to show me all the areas I wanted to see. No fireproof coveralls, no packing in gear and the resolution was detailed enough to identify plant species. Pretty cool stuff and I've definitely asked my bosses to get us one as part of our PPE. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My day job is in a lab so I do a pretty good job of using PPE. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

As I'm the ships safety officer I echo everything crankydog said, I'm pretty fanatical about this. I get to see too many people who have "It will never happen to me" attitudes stumbling off to the sick bay with broken heads and squashed thumbs.

I even read PPE catalogues for pleasure... especially when I'm spending the company's money!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:57 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 5:  What is the stupidest or most embarrassing way you've injured yourself? (Cyradis)

Oh, there's a lot to choose from including-

Drilling into my index finger whilst trying to pin a mini

Slicing into my hand whilst peeling an apple(was watching a rerun of ER at the time)

Losing my snipps and deciding that scissors are perfectly acceptable substitute for cutting a chunk of flash from a metal mini. I still have the v shaped scar on my palm :(

Somehow dropping a pair if scissors into my knee when i was 7

I'm not even going into all the wildlife/pet related ones :ph34r:

On 2/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 6: Detailed Integral Bases, Brocolli Integral Bases, Slot Tab, Pins, Other?  What style of mini base do you prefer and why?

It depends what I'm using the mini for- if is just going to be used for Pathfinder, I'll use whatever base it comes with. Maybe put some putty or flock to pretty it up. 

However, if it's going to be used for a wargame (i.e. Infinity/Warhammer) then I need all the bases to match, so there's probably going to be a lot of clipping and pinning involved. I didn't buy all those Green Stuff World rolling pins for nothing, y'know! ::D:

On 2/7/2019 at 1:50 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 7: What kind of brushes do you prefer/use?  What sizes?

I'm been using Mastertouch Aquamarine Watercolour brushes for the last couple of years. They last really well for acrylics and hold a decent amount of paint for blending. I use the size 4 round most often as it has decent coverage and the point is good enough to manage a lot of the details

On 2/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, Corsair said:

Question for February 8, 2019

Coffee maker, pod, French Press, drip or percolator?

Umm, tea please? :poke: with cake

On 2/9/2019 at 5:11 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Sat, Feb 9: What social media sites do you frequent (other than this one)?

Just Youtube and Twitter. There's other sites that I frequent, but I wouldn't class them as social media. 

On 2/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, TGP said:

Question for, Sun., Feb. 10:

What websites (such as, but not limited to, social media) do you actively avoid at all costs?

Facebook (it really brings out the worst in some people), DakkaDakka(sooo much negativity), anything clickbaity or overly mean spirited.

Wow, that was a long post! I'll finish catching up tomorrow, but it's time for bed for me now. Night all! :;):

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It depends. I was in the Navy for 20 years, so I'm plenty used to having to use it and for what reasons.

I have gotten better about it as I have gotten older and realized that I'm not quite as bulletproof as I used to think.

Hearing protection I don't use anywhere near the amount I should be.

I wear steel toed boots everyday, so good there.

Pretty good about eye protection; I've had stuff in my eye before and it sucked.

I wear gloves when dealing with nasty and/or unfamiliar chemicals, but never at home with glues, paints, etc.

I don't worry about cut protection; it's just bound to happen eventually, anyway. I'm just quite good at first aid; I have even given myself stitches before.

Besides:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

• Like 8