TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Feb 1:  What are you looking forward to in February this year?

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

So Februdary is evidently a gaming month for me.  In addition to running my weekly D&D game (5E Dungeon of the Mad Mage)and playing in my weekly Starfinder game, I have Drinking and Dragons (a charity gaming event) and TotalCon (a four day gaming con).  As far as my table, I can't really work at it at the moment.

1075683698_2019-02-0120_26_50.thumb.jpg.f87fd12e6df7e6a2288bec8d5d055e55.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

F69D2F74-5444-43D2-A66E-E1B36596F004.thumb.jpeg.760aac97fd2ae6e3b09c41456e0c7215.jpeg

Can anybody tell me why lighthouses frequently have spherical finial knobs right at the top?  Castle towers with cone roofs usually do not. 

The spiky bit is usually a lightning rod. The little sphere is actually a vent with holes or slits all over it. Older lighthouses used oil lamps which could create excessive amounts of smoke depending on the type of oil used. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

A few things....

• Painting!  I barely got any done in January, even if other hobbying things did happen
  • Full loadout of drivers at work again, maybe even with a route relief guy again! (they were doing additional stuff to see if he'd be cleared or not this morning)
  • ALL THE COFFEE.  All caps because, uhm....  Well, in the end my count is already up to 12 on order, and 5 in the house....  12 oz / 340g bags of whole bean coffee.  Four different roaster (9 from Van Houtte in Montreal (my "usuals"), 4 from Rosso Coffee in Calgary, 2 from Roasti in Sherwood Park (because one had a fox on it!  ...I got digital puppy eyes for the one with a wolf on it! >.>;;;; ), and 2 from Phil & Sebastian in Calgary.
  • Restock of tea.  Trying out Creamy Early Grey and Vanilla Chai from Rosso Coffee in Calgary.
  • MOAR CAV/STOMPY ROBOTS!!!!!  I have "a few" on order (8 from Talon Games with a rulebook, and 5 from Reaper)
  • Skaven and gnolls taking over my painting area again
  • Some sculpting stuff
  • More benching, because I have new parts to break in, and of course I want to finally break that 3k team points goal I've had for a while

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

Okay, but you asked for it... Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

IMG_20190201_193048.thumb.jpg.1a3790e92602010154398095cbccf3fb.jpgIMG_20190201_193114.thumb.jpg.1b3e87fd52bdd723a681c93e25adda45.jpg

IMG_20190201_193059.thumb.jpg.d7b757a726f12cb2d8ad4f89d040d285.jpg

Actually, for me, it's not that bad.  It'll get a lot worse over the next week or so though....

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

No, you don't get to see the workbench. Nyah!

Afraid we'll get airbrush envy, or is it THAT messy? ::P:

• Like 10

feb 1. finishing moving. I got the bed, half of the futon, the computer, and enough kitchen and toiletries moved that I can stay the night, but there's a lot more to do.

feb 2-3 Nothing! everything is currently shoved in bags and boxes for transport. I hope to get back to things in a week or 2

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

A few things....

• Painting!  I barely got any done in January, even if other hobbying things did happen
  • Full loadout of drivers at work again, maybe even with a route relief guy again! (they were doing additional stuff to see if he'd be cleared or not this morning)
  • ALL THE COFFEE.  All caps because, uhm....  Well, in the end my count is already up to 12 on order, and 5 in the house....  12 oz / 340g bags of whole bean coffee.  Four different roaster (9 from Van Houtte in Montreal (my "usuals"), 4 from Rosso Coffee in Calgary, 2 from Roasti in Sherwood Park (because one had a fox on it!  ...I got digital puppy eyes for the one with a wolf on it! >.>;;;; ), and 2 from Phil & Sebastian in Calgary.
  • Restock of tea.  Trying out Creamy Early Grey and Vanilla Chai from Rosso Coffee in Calgary.
  • MOAR CAV/STOMPY ROBOTS!!!!!  I have "a few" on order (8 from Talon Games with a rulebook, and 5 from Reaper)
  • Skaven and gnolls taking over my painting area again
  • Some sculpting stuff
  • More benching, because I have new parts to break in, and of course I want to finally break that 3k team points goal I've had for a while

Okay, but you asked for it... Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

IMG_20190201_193048.thumb.jpg.1a3790e92602010154398095cbccf3fb.jpgIMG_20190201_193114.thumb.jpg.1b3e87fd52bdd723a681c93e25adda45.jpg

IMG_20190201_193059.thumb.jpg.d7b757a726f12cb2d8ad4f89d040d285.jpg

Actually, for me, it's not that bad.  It'll get a lot worse over the next week or so though....

Afraid we'll get airbrush envy, or is it THAT messy? ::P:

No, my wife would do bodily harm to me for showing how it looks right now!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Update on Guy At Work.

He survived the night. That's all I feel comfortable sharing and, really, we're just co-workers so that's all we're going to get. But he survived the night. That's a success on its own. Even though there's factors that make his recovery... rocky at best.

There are 40 people in our department. 10 showed up for work today. Guy At Work's predicament hit us all hard.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

For the first, I’m really hoping to see sales pick up at work. Last year was not good. We really need a good February.

For the rest... Hey! How about I show you pictures of cute distracting kittens instead!

48640D5E-82EF-4D0B-B128-7DBB1F3FD69A.jpeg.6d0a622bf19e601a8cec093ea51eda43.jpegC6E0FDA5-D318-4391-B27A-A5F615D23056.jpeg.fe8a63b3a0fbf74130dedae8c81d39af.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Kittens won't save you.  Why not showcase your painting area anyways? 

... Bonus points if a cat is included, because that seems like the forum thing.  Or a dog.  Dogs work too. ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

uAxFnoz.jpgSPakSpx.jpg

Picture one:- A prepped 'Journey to the West' quartet, two almost painted Urkin Shamans and an almost assembled King of the Sea Elves.

Picture two:- The beginnings of a mighty Dragon King!

• Like 13

22 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday's question, not really sure. No big plans just want to keep painting and playing with the kids.

Weekend question, I'll try to show a pick sometime. Right now I'm working on the bone piles from Dungeon Saga. Need corpse markers for a Frostgrave scenario and they'll work. May do the walls from the Bones Graveyard set too. They're sitting on the table right now.

• Like 6

On 2/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Finishing a test piece for my siege castle (KoW), multibasing some rat ogres, sealing some mummies and a Rat King from Myth. Doubt I'll get around to finishing assembly on the Mantic Giant, but it also is in queue.

IMG_20190201_164907.jpg

IMG_20190202_143524.jpg

• Like 11

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Watching my teenaged daughter grow.  She's got a lot of stuff happening in February, not least of which is a trip to NYC to perform at a festival at Carnegie Hall with her school choir.  For a shy introvert this a big milestone.  

WP_20190202_11_43_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.58016b9978a87961b7cdafbe3262d1e4.jpg

Behold my sad, dusty little shelf of shame.  Hoping to finish a couple of these this month.  Can't do a photo of my work area since I have to set it up on the kitchen table whenever I want to paint.

• Like 13

On 2/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, NebulousMissy said:

I'm looking forward to Guy At Work being okay.

He'd had chest pains earlier in the day. He was told to go home. I'm not sure if he was packing up to go home or just went back to working, I heard both stories yesterday but I know for a fact he collapsed. He was unresponsive.

People started running all over the floor trying to find someone who knows CPR. I get dragged in because 11 years of girl scouts, 4 of them involving military style first aid courses, I know how to fall off a mountain, splint my own broken bones, and walk out under my own power. I get dragged in.

He's breathing. Sort of. Someone has his wrist, he has a pulse. He's breathing badly. I help with that, make sure he has a carotid pulse, he does, keep him breathing, and then security comes up, throws us all off, and starts chest compressions. On a man with a pulse.

Portable defib was brought in from the hall. He still had a pulse. Building nurse needs to approve any emergency personnel entering the building, it took her thirty elfing five minutes to take one elevator and walk across the building. I heard she was packing up her stuff and locking every cabinet instead of just locking the main door. And she had the audacity to be annoyed that we disrupted her day.

It took 45 minutes from when he went down to when the EMTs got there. They had trouble stabilizing him. He was finally out of the building by 725pm.

I had people thanking me for hours yesterday. I did not feel like I deserved it. After he was en route to some hospital, we don't know which, I hear from coworkers about how they know CPR too, one was a teacher and has performed it before, and they all CHOSE TO DO NOTHING!

I had to go home early yesterday. I just couldn't. I could still taste the stale lips and air of my dying coworker and here are people more qualified than I who CHOSE to do NOTHING?!

I hope to everything he's okay.

Holy crap! ::o:

Did that security idiot realize he was interrupting somebody that had training?!

And that if the poor guy died he could be going to JAIL?!

Compression on somebody with a PULSE?!

Dragging Grump to Victoria's Secret, for our annual You Win shopping. ::P:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Here's what's currently occupying my little bit of controlled chaos. Some pieces are close to being done. Some have only been primed. One is pretty much done except I don't care for the twine I'm using for the swing. Most will likely be finished in the next week or so. And at least one thing I'm giving my self a year to complete.

20190202_161555.thumb.jpg.b04e0f43587d5f4c31b69cf752c5bff9.jpg

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 14