TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

23 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Here's what's currently occupying my little bit of controlled chaos. Some pieces are close to being done. Some have only been primed. One is pretty much done except I don't care for the twine I'm using for the swing. Most will likely be finished in the next week or so. And at least one thing I'm giving my self a year to complete.

20190202_161555.thumb.jpg.b04e0f43587d5f4c31b69cf752c5bff9.jpg

I love the swing you added to the plant beast. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I love the swing you added to the plant beast. 

Thanks. I like to think of it as the shambling playground. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Dragging Grump to Victoria's Secret, for our annual You Win shopping. ::P:

If you haven't already, you should check out adoreme. It's only an Internet shop, but their sizes are really good, and they've got some hecking cute styles. :;):

• Like 8

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

If you haven't already, you should check out adoreme. It's only an Internet shop, but their sizes are really good, and they've got some hecking cute styles. :;):

This was also recommended to me.  Supposed to be good for people with difficult to find sizes.  

• Like 8

On 2/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

Ah. Ahahahahahaha ...

Heh. I tend to paint things in parallel.

At the moment the things I am working on are more or less these (the figure on the tub of medium is finished, awaiting isolation coat and varnish):

Spoiler

current-state-of-painting-counter.jpg.c2b2d8d9a005e43f1a9db315d899aa3a.jpg

This does not include the Starfleet crew.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'm more than a little nervous as to what Megan is getting Grump at Victoria's Secret. This has some frightening mental images...

• Haha 14

3 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I'm more than a little nervous as to what Megan is getting Grump at Victoria's Secret. This has some frightening mental images...

TMI :: Too Much Imagination... :blues:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 2/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

A few Mantic undead revenants that have been assembled since last year (previously in their box for waaaay too long) are top priority for the month, and everything else is on timeout (in Otiluke's Resilient Jar spell); they're extra if I finish the skeletons.

februarywips1.thumb.jpg.082e8ecf38c0e048be0886720fe9face.jpg

-MvM

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I suspect it's a cover story to be able to sneak off to either the nearby chocolate store, or the nearby gaming/toy store.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Then wait until you see my cover of Freddy Mercury's "I Want to Break Free" video.:devil:

• Haha 8

On 2/1/2019 at 12:43 PM, Xiwo Xerase said:

On 2/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, TaleSpinner said:

If I remember, I'll do that tomorrow.

I remembered!

This is the table I work on.  This is actually our dining table but we haven't actually used it for eating since we moved in to the house.

1633925843_WorkTable20190202.thumb.jpg.28cc1ac4dcaa7e901e4c74f4c297580d.jpg

I, um, need to clean up at some point.

Features from the upper left corner: Wet palette, vial rack repurposed as miniature holder (with plastic test tube-like things repurposed for miniature holders), my photography setup (a BattleTech game board propped up, with a piece of art paper draped over it, held in place with a small mason jar, and then a Hangar 18 background on that, lights, with cheesecloth draped over the two stationary desk lamps to diffuse the light, and the black swing lamp to provide overhead lighting -- I also use this for painting), a Nook (bought primarily to run PaintRack), the wet palette's cover with Happy Seppuku base stamps on it, my cutting pad, a storage cabinet used for storing bits, bobs, tools, etc. (the base stamps and tufts need to get put away in there once I find room for them), a CAV card deck, two yellow cups from Lumpy's (an ice cream shop in Wake Forest, NC), a pile of minis set aside for prep, a red bag containing leather samples (for reference), a paint mixer, a sponge on a plastic palette, and paint brushes.

Here's a closer shot of where I sit to work:

391110271_WorkSpace20190202.thumb.jpg.4a21950ca3a814bb6b66e91c6f501359.jpg

The HELMER filing cabinet under the table is used for paint storage.  The denim in the chair is the apron my wife sewed for me (you may remember seeing me wear it at ReaperCon).  Most of the BattleTech minis are finished and just need to be put away.  The four purple 'Mechs (Marik Militia) on the rack are the only ones in the process of being painted (really, being ignored).  The two bare metal minis (the Archer and Griffin) are for the next lance.

The two minis under the cheap plastic cups are there to shield them from dust.

I use small mason jars for rinse water and such at home.  We had a surplus of them after our wedding so I repurposed some of them.  (Our wedding favors were small mason jars filled with Hershey's kisses, with ribbon tied around the lid.  We also had a table filled with (mostly used but good condition) fantasy and sci-fi novels (bought specifically for this) that guests could freely take from.)

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

You sir, are a bit warped. You'd fit right in with me and my friends. ^_^ 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I did make it to the paint club meetup. 

Take a picture and show us!

I took several pictures...of other folks work. 

0CBEDE77-E7A6-48C4-BADD-24BF427090AA.thumb.jpeg.4c07b8bf5b3dcf0b56727d6339bb4154.jpeg

This is a 75mm bust. 

Edited by TGP
Actually it is larger than 75mm. See later post.
  • Like 11

Hannibal, perhaps?

As for my workbench:

IMG_3333.thumb.JPG.5bf3c94f6fb2b1323ed3cc96db5e6d5b.JPG

I got stalled on cleaning it off and resetting this weekend. What I planned to do is this, a unit of a dozen true orcs from the Minfigs 1973 Mythical Earth range, ancient scruffy figures:

IMG_3335.thumb.JPG.01a2e193335b3d24857577bde1c96f4e.JPG

I also planned to prime the five armored goblins from the same range in black, but haven't gotten there yet.

What I did do was start the basing for a pair of 1/72 scale plastic figures I painted at lunches this week, for my 
portable fantasy game".

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.7fb518c3f88f1e154b1a1bced010352c.JPG

I also unboxed the figures already finished for that to do a quick photo inventory.  It seems I've got 112 so far, not counting these two in-process fellows.

IMG_3326.thumb.JPG.51fb9ae67b9c08fce333812766836941.JPG

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 10