TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

Hannibal, perhaps?

Good job! Hannibal Barca from an outfit called Nuts Planet.  And it is 1:10 Scale**

Edited by TGP
**Not 75mm Scale. (If 30mm minis are 1:60, then 1:10 Scale would be 180mm figures? Oww. Math. Exceeded twenty...
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

Good job! Hannibal Barca from an outfit called Nuts Planet.  And it is 1:10 Scale. 

Oddly, the horse motif on his helmet is very similar in style to the horse on the sole Carthaginian coin in my collection, so that was my clue.

• Like 4

While we wait for today’s question, another photo from the NTFC meeting:

4DCD4095-9DFB-40A5-A683-E39520BAA1F7.thumb.jpeg.bd1e9fe165b9ae6c497d76bff6f6815c.jpeg

This is a 75mm resin kit: Joaquin Palacios Studio, Garandur Silver Wolf, an Elf Ranger, 80mm Tall (boot heel to top of head).

Sculptor: Joaquin Palacios

Painted by: (someone other than me...will edit and credit...if I can get my memory to cooperate)

• Like 9

Feb 4: Do you partake of media (TV, Computer, Music, etc...) while you paint/sculpt and if so what?  

Bonus: If so, do you feel you get more or less accomplished (or no effect) because of said media.

• Like 7

On 2/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

Frostgrave plastics!

IMG_20190203_093644.jpg

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 4: Do you partake of media (TV, Computer, Music, etc...) while you paint/sculpt and if so what?  

Bonus: If so, do you feel you get more or less accomplished (or no effect) because of said media.

My reality is closer to saying I partake in painting/sculpting as I watch TV/computer streaming.

And I accomplish far, far less, if at all, as my 47in flat glowing 5.1 surround sound overlord is just so, so entertaining.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

I will start with gaming podcasts (e.g. Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff), but will switch over to Pandora if I find that concentrating on the painting is using enough brainpower that I stop comprehending the speaker(s).

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes.  Either music, TV shows or movies I've seen on DVD before and are in English (I cannot both paint and read subtitles), or whatever my wife has on.

I almost always have something in the background while painting.  Otherwise, it's too quiet.  Sometimes visuals on the TV are distracting.  Sometimes they provide a welcome break.  Overall, I'd say "Probably no effect.  More research needed."

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Music. I can't hobby and watch a movie or TV show. I get too distracted. Without it I get distracted by my brides TV watching.

• Like 11

On 2/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I usually have the PC on while I am painting. It comes in handy for inspiration & finding out what that little blob is on some mini or other.

After that I ignore it or turn it off; re, it can be a distraction & I am easily enough distracted as things are.

While I can no longer hear music, I do normally have some song playing through my head as I paint/sculpt/model/whatever. I have the disturbing habit of singing along . 

TV is reserved for baseball or basketball.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

If I'm feeling old school, I'll start cycling through my KMFDM collection,(my painting music of the days of yore), if not I try to find long score or soundtrack videos on youtube. Call of Culthulu Dark Corners of the Earth, Vermintide 1&2 scores (Jasper Kyd kicks all manner of elf), or a playlist heavy on Wardruna. From time to time I'll run some Arch Warhammer lore videos as some of those are fairly lengthy.

Movies or shows I won't even try to attempt as I know I'll have to pick between watching or painting. 

Bonus: I don't see any effect on productivity either way, but having something on loop has led to many instances of "I feel I've only been here an hour or so, why is it mid morning now?" 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Spotify Playlist, YouTube Premium (and usually YouTube Music), as well as SoundCloud (non premium) depending on what I want to listen to.  Some labels I listen to do post their "podcasts" (more like mixtapes to me) onto YouTube, but most wind up posting them to SoundCloud. 

So yes, I'm almost always listening to something while painting.  Helps with focus, and drones out the rest of the world.  Music also helps me get in a groove and I can not only focus more, my colour decisions tend to pan out better too! 

I almost always get more accomplished...  Once I've decided on what I'm going to listen to anyways. 

13 hours ago, malefactus said:

I usually have the PC on while I am painting.

This is going to sound weird but...  People turn their computers off? 

.... Oh right, mine takes forever to start up*, I use it 12+ hours a day (when I'm not working), and I also run BOINC and Folding@Home.  Nevermind my tired, and very slow morning mind... 

*Forever to me is something like three minutes, which to a power user just feels like forever.  Yes, I could brew coffee in that timeframe, but still. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I will usually have some jazz or  Cardinals baseball game going.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Music only, because I get too distracted by TV.  Lately the background music playlists have been either classic Motown or lofi youtube streams.

• Like 7