TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 4: Do you partake of media (TV, Computer, Music, etc...) while you paint/sculpt and if so what?  

Bonus: If so, do you feel you get more or less accomplished (or no effect) because of said media.

If Hubby isn't here, I'll listen to music. If Hubby is here I'll partial watch whatever he's watching or playing. My painting desk is in the living room, so that we can be together while I hobby.

• Like 9

On 2/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Feb 1:  What are you looking forward to in February this year?

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

2/1:  My retirement.

2/2-3:  the current project is smoking cheese. 

IMG_20190110_224355.jpg

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 4: Do you partake of media (TV, Computer, Music, etc...) while you paint/sculpt and if so what?  

Bonus: If so, do you feel you get more or less accomplished (or no effect) because of said media.

2/4: I stay more focused with background music, usually movie scores.

Edited by ladystorm
Added image
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I had to roll my eyes when an artist complained about my classical station 'oh is it verdi again, do you know how many times I've heard this?' Woman, I've heard YOUR selection of Led Zeppelin tracks a bajillion times. Dern kids who didn't live in the era of one rock radio station where you were force-fed charting music...like Zep. I love Zep, but it's distracting, actively prevents flow, and has been played to death.

In high school art class the teacher would sometimes put on a record when we were drawing.  He had two albums: America's Horse with no Name, and one with Christmas music in Spanish.  Do you know how many times we listened to Feliz Navidad that year?   I can't listen to America at all anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Lately, because I'm painting at my desk at work, I have headphones on with a podcast running. Usually various NPR or NYT casts, or else the latest episode of Critical Role.

At home, I often have some kind of trash anime running.

Both these things are often supplemented with music. I have four main Pandora stations, which rotate based on my mood:

1. Seeded by Nena, Joan Jett, The Sounds, Metric

2. Seeded by The Ramones, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, The Buzzcocks

3. Seeded by Creedence Clearwater Revival, Guns n' Roses, Steve Miller Band, Led Zeppelin

4. Seeded by Dar Williams, Erin McKeown, KT Tunstall, Amy Winehouse

My productivity is more affected by what is happening around me in realspace than what I'm listening to.

• Like 9

Saturday/Sunday, Feb 2-3 (Weekend Quest):  What's on your paint/sculpting bench, i.e., what'cha working on.  Take a picture and show us!

The Overwatch League starts back up next week! GO OUTLAAAWS!

A previous photo of my workspace. I guess I need yet another chair....

1609018237_catswhy.thumb.jpg.ced4ae75c01974b53a73d9e1bfd82063.jpg

On 2/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, LittleBluberry said:

Watching my teenaged daughter grow.  She's got a lot of stuff happening in February, not least of which is a trip to NYC to perform at a festival at Carnegie Hall with her school choir.  For a shy introvert this a big milestone.  

That is so amazing!! :wub:

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I listen to chill genres while painting because I tend to jump around to my other music. Makes for uneven brushstrokes. ::P:

I'll listen to shows that I'm familiar with and have fun audio, like Brooklyn 99, The Office, or Psych. I can't have animated movies playing while I'm doing art or I'll completely forget what I'm doing and watch the animation. Art is so pretty!

When I get really into my art, my brain disables all background noise. It's a weird feeling when I notice it.

13 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

2/1:  My retirement.

2/2-3:  the current project is smoking cheese. 

2/4: I stay more focused with background music, usually movie scores.

Retirement!!! Do you have any plans for this year? :D 

That cheese looks tasty!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Inarah said:

In high school art class the teacher would sometimes put on a record when we were drawing.  He had two albums: America's Horse with no Name, and one with Christmas music in Spanish.  Do you know how many times we listened to Feliz Navidad that year?   I can't listen to America at all anymore.

Reminds me of the single music radio station we had at my old work place in 2017.

You wouldn't believe how many times per day (per hour even?) "Despacito" or "Shape of You" got played. [Actually, remembering the complaints that year from the whole planet, maybe you would.]

Which is why I avoid listening to commercial music stations. Wanting to punch stuff while trying to paint eyes is *not* the preferred mindset.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I generally use the computer. Sometimes I want to play a game and paint dammit so I paint during cutscenes and long dialogues. Other times I bring up youtube and find a Thing (tv show, podcast, public lecture, etc minimum of half an hour long). I turn on a Thing, start painting, get involved, look up, and realize the Thing's already over and I need a new one.

I do feel like I get more accomplished. I don't have to worry about time. I have youtube keeping time for me.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, pinkymadigan said:

So, if the Blue Jackets are on...

Blue Jackets? As in the Columbus Blue Jackets? Does this mean there is another Ohioan on here?

• Like 8

I don't think I have anything in particular planned for February.

There is mostly a mess on my painting desk, but also over the weekend I started working on the limited edition resin Maiden Bust sculpted by Julie Guthrie that Buglips bought for me last Reapercon.

IMG_8784.thumb.jpg.8c580f300056d7cf663be369f8ae6c67.jpgIMG_8786.thumb.jpg.aeac08b99dabb3c36a40f7910e0d0fbb.jpg

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Usually when I'm painting I'm talking to/hanging out with Buglips via video chat. When he's not around and I can motivate myself to paint I will either listen to music (with lyrics, because whatever inspires you is not a hindrance to your creativity) or I will often put on one of Shoshie's recorded streams on youtube to have some "company." I have tried putting on movies that I've seen a million times to use as background noise, but that always results in me not painting and just staring at the screen. I can't sit in complete silence and paint though, I get restless.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I usually have the computer on, which is distracting. I usually listen to 40k battle reports and the like while I'm assembling said figures, though in the end I get distracted and have to go watch some of it. Oddly enough, TV shows are merely background noise and I rarely look at the screen.

• Like 4

I will have the computer on, showing reference/inspiration pictures of whatever figures I'm working on.

• Like 5

On 2/1/2019 at 10:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

#1  Well it was Bones IV :down: but now probably the Samael Raven Demon bust KS that is supposed to deliver this month.

#2  I am still working on my orc bust.  This picture is from Friday so I have gotten some more work done on it but have yet to take pictures.  I am also working on the Minotaur Demon Lord but I don't have any pictures of him.

20190202_185532.thumb.jpg.77c5341b511f83097a6dd373ec785f0a.jpg

Music I probably do the least.  When I do I like to listen to Tool, Primus, Metallica, and sometimes classical or opera.

I also sometimes will turn on the Office and listen to that.

I mostly like to listen to Last Podcast on the Left.  It's a great podcast that talks about serial killers, strange conspiracy theories and things like that.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Blue Jackets? As in the Columbus Blue Jackets? Does this mean there is another Ohioan on here?

More than one.  Although I do not care for the Lake Erie Monsters.

• Like 6

Qu #3: Most likely music. I'll just fire up either regular radio or I'll listen to Iheartradio/Google music.

Bonus: I guess it depends on what I'm working on really.

• Like 4