TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

59 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 5:  What is the stupidest or most embarrassing way you've injured yourself? (Cyradis)

While drunk, a shoebox offended me by it's presence and at the time it made sense to throw a knife at it. Fumbled the release, the knife wound up in my right ankle. I didn't notice right away, until I looked down and saw it sticking out of my leg. So I took it out, threw it again, this time teaching the box it's lesson, and after pondering the matter, wrapped the wound in duct tape and headed out to the all night diner figuring that some food might sober me up some. I returned later to find my roommates nervous and concerned about the moderate sized blood trail that lead from the kitchen, across the house, out the front door and down part of the block. 

I learned later that this trail had been noticed by many of the townies in the neighborhood and by the time I got to the cafe later that afternoon some rather interesting theories had already formed as to it's cause. Even before I told them what had happened, my name was already attached to at least 1/3 of those theories. 

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 5:  What is the stupidest or most embarrassing way you've injured yourself? (Cyradis)

Broke a tooth on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 7

16 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Would getting stabbed while doing a cell extraction in a prison count?

I'd say stupid or embarassing only if it was an unsharpened spoon, or you did it to yourself. 

• Like 7

I don't consider it stupid or embarrassing, since I was a kid, and getting hurt as a kid is normal.

But the funniest injury to recount (without details) is that when I was about 7 or 8 I was trying to get a game of charades started and sent my upper teeth up inside my nose from underneath. Don't really remember anything after that, I think I passed out or went into shock.

• Like 6

Can't think of anything really stupid or embarrassing.

It's probably a tie between falling backwards into a cactus as a clumsy 5 year old or slipping on some snow and breaking my arm as a clumsy 15 year old.

• Like 7

When you're a cook there are a lot of stupid little cuts and burns, but I only had to go to the hospital once to get it stitched up. It was the week before our wedding and I was distracted.  The doctor was looking at it when my soon to be husband arrived wearing not only his permanent grumpy face but his shocked and worried face, and suddenly I was getting questions like "Do you feel safe at home, "Did anybody threaten you", and "Is there anything you want to tell me".  Yeah, I'm an idiot who should know better when it comes to large sharp objects. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

The varsity team I was on beat your team even though we are a small private university.  It was Fencing though so you did not have a good team.

Can't win 'em all.

Thankfully the embarrassing stories don't involve injury.

Stupidest way I injured myself was five years ago going to lift my dog into the car, a task I had done hundreds of time. She hopped up, I was assisting getting her hindquarters the rest of the way when she suddenly fought against my push and her weight went down. I wasn't expecting it, ended up getting bilateral inguinal hernias. Took the doctors six months to accurately diagnose what was wrong. Began the downward spiral of health problems, so yeah, I say it's the stupidest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

I put a 2-3" long slice into my wrist on a shard of coconut whilst breaking it open on a piece of concrete.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Great there is only one story that qualifies for both.  Here goes:

Back when I was in 'C' school in the Navy, I lived in the barracks with a communal head (bathroom).  I woke up in tje middle of the night needing to pass water as they say, and pulled on the pair of Jean shorts I wore earlier that day to make the trip down the hall to the head.  Completing my task, I zipped up my shorts only to discover that in my half asleep fuzziness I hadnt tucked a certain appendage away entirely.  Took me about 10 minutes to work the zipper free of the piece of skin that it had caught.  By that time, even thoughbot was at 2am a small crowd of people had congregated in the head to laugh and or commiserate at my misfortune.  Thereafter I made sure to always wear gym shorts to the head.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

A few years ago, I was building a model kit, dropped my stanley knife, right into my foot.

Oh well.

Blood for the Blood God!

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

I got frustrated attempting to roll out pie dough and in a fit of pique I threw my rolling pin down on the table where I was working.  It smashed the glass pie dish and I got a cut on my hand from flying glass.  I still have the scar from that one.  It turned out that I'd copied the recipe down wrong so it was never going to work the way I expected.  So yeah, pretty darned stupid.  

• Like 7

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Back in my High School era) I attempted to use a zip line. 

There was no safety strap or seat. Users were expected to hang on for dear life. My grip strength was insufficient. 

With people watching I slipped, fell about ten feet, landed flat on my back, on dry hardened, grass free clay soil. The impact felt like it cracked ribs, knocked all the air out of my lungs, and I was left unable to answer (or breathe!) when people ran over and started asking idiotic questions like:

”Are you all right?”

”Did that hurt?”

“Are you OK?”

<_<

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I tore my meniscus in my sleep.  I was training for a marathon at the time, and was so into it that I was even dreaming about running. I got my leg tangled up in a blanket and must have jerked it just right in my sleep and the dang thing tore.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Opened a wall cupboard door. Then knelt down to get something off a lower shelf... and stood up into the opened door.

Woken up by my dog licking my face.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Woken up by my dog licking my face.

This is why dogs are often nicer than people. 

And I’ll bet she didn't ask any inane questions like, “Did that hurt much?”

:rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5