Sign in to follow this  
Unruly

Help finding beardless dwarf

So I'm looking for a figure that is obviously a male dwarf, but without a beard. Preferably bald, with an axe of some sort, and in some form of metal armor. Like, if I could find a beardless version of 03386: Thorvald, Dwarf Hero then it would be just about perfect.

I know. Kind of weird. But that's what I want my Dwarf to be, because he's got a charisma of 8, and to reflect that I'm making him a Dwarven pariah. 

I could probably make due with a halfling, but most of them lack the stockiness that dwarf figures usually have. They're too skinny.

• Like 1

how about this guy. 03271: Tamclar the Shorn He's not wearing armor and has a hammer instead of an axe but he's bald and shaved. Maybe a head swap.

Hasslefree has two that I am aware of. One with ridiculously bulky armor, mohawk and a big sword and one with a mohawk and no armor but has an axe.

Stonehaven also has two. A Mechinist and a guy with a cannon. Both have mustaches though and neither is wearing armor, so probably the least like what you want. That's what I can come up with at the moment.

Edited by EvilJames

Hasslefree has a dwarf that might, HFD003 Kristian. Doesn't look like he has a beard, is in armor (maybe too elaborate for what you want), not bald but the mohawk is easily removed, and has a sword but can be solved with snippers.

Another option from them is also HFD032 Dynamic Borax. He isn't bald nor unbearded, but he has two head options; the helmeted version solves the baldness issue, and might be easy to remove the beard (it's a shortish beard) depending on how comfortable you are working near his face. Has an axe and metal armor though.

-MvM

Ooh, the Hasslefree dwarves look like they might be my best options. If I get both and can head swap Kristian and Borax without too much trouble, it'd be pretty much exactly what I want.

Not the armor your looking for but  Red box games has a bald, beardless dwarf; Angvar the outlandish. He is rocking some massive sideburns to go with his befurred barbarian look though.

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

Ooh, the Hasslefree dwarves look like they might be my best options. If I get both and can head swap Kristian and Borax without too much trouble, it'd be pretty much exactly what I want.

Furthermore I believe Hasslefree do a dwarven head sprue of bald & beardless dwarven heads which should make just such a head swap even easier. [Edit]My bad. I was thinking of their human head sprue. I swear they did a dwarven head sprue at one point.[/Edit] Now Hasslefree Dwarfs might be a little smaller than you're used to since they have normal human proportions instead of Dwarfism (a medical term for a foreshortening of the limbs with an oversized torso and head) so some might confuse them for gnomes.

Also, depending on which Borax you go for, Armoured Borax has a separate head to accommodate his 2 head options which, again, would make a head swap relatively easy.

However, check their Grymm (Space Dwarfs) many of whom are beardless and might make for easier head swaps than Kristian as his left pauldron might prove to be a problem when removing the head.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg

Scibor miniatures has these 2, under their moscals army line.

May be a bit too Chaosy... The 2nd guy has long flowing hair, but maybe make it an un-dwarflike color?

1.png

2.png

Edited by Smokestack
Cropped photoss to take out the web address of the store.
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Furthermore I believe Hasslefree do a dwarven head sprue of bald & beardless dwarven heads which should make just such a head swap even easier. [Edit]My bad. I was thinking of their human head sprue. I swear they did a dwarven head sprue at one point.[/Edit] Now Hasslefree Dwarfs might be a little smaller than you're used to since they have normal human proportions instead of Dwarfism (a medical term for a foreshortening of the limbs with an oversized torso and head) so some might confuse them for gnomes.

Also, depending on which Borax you go for, Armoured Borax has a separate head to accommodate his 2 head options which, again, would make a head swap relatively easy.

However, check their Grymm (Space Dwarfs) many of whom are beardless and might make for easier head swaps than Kristian as his left pauldron might prove to be a problem when removing the head.

I'll give the Grymm a look. As for their proportions, based on the pictures they have on their site they look fine and dandy to me. They have the right kind of build that I'm looking for, and I never figured my dwarves for looking like tree trunks with stubby legs and arms. I always figured them to look more like short power lifters.

Also, possibly a stupid question given the discussion of proportions, but how do the human heads compare to the Dwarf heads in terms of size? If I can get a sprue of human heads and slap one onto Borax without it looking terrible, then I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of destroying a perfectly fine Kristian mini by sawing through his shoulders just to get his head. And I like the look of Kristian. I really don't want to have to saw the little guy in half if I don't have to.

Hasslefree human heads are significantly larger than Hasslefree dwarven heads. He could end up looking like some kind of ugly mutant (which is kind of what you were going for anyway :p). They do produce a number of naked figures without hair or beards so people can practice sculpting on them. One or two of those figures are male dwarfs. HFMASTER L601 Resin Master - Dwarf Male Dolly & HFMASTER L616 Resin Master - Dwarf Male Dolly II would be appropriate, however the resin mastesr are expensive because they're fresh out of new moulds and have virtually no mould lines or flash to deal with. Plus they are in limited supply. You should probably be aware that the prices listed on the website do not include VAT (Value Added Tax) which will be added in when you pay for things.

Also, in case you've never ordered from Hasslefree before..... They always put some sweeties in the box with your miniatures so you've got something nice to chew or suck on while assembling figures in preparation for painting :).

17 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Hasslefree human heads are significantly larger than Hasslefree dwarven heads. He could end up looking like some kind of ugly mutant (which is kind of what you were going for anyway :p). They do produce a number of naked figures without hair or beards so people can practice sculpting on them. One or two of those figures are male dwarfs. HFMASTER L601 Resin Master - Dwarf Male Dolly & HFMASTER L616 Resin Master - Dwarf Male Dolly II would be appropriate, however the resin mastesr are expensive because they're fresh out of new moulds and have virtually no mould lines or flash to deal with. Plus they are in limited supply. You should probably be aware that the prices listed on the website do not include VAT (Value Added Tax) which will be added in when you pay for things.

It's a shame they don't have a dwarf head sprue, then. I don't want to buy a limited production resin to saw the head off of just to get a bald and beardless dwarf, especially when they're meant to be used by people with actual talent to sculpt stuff with. And the Grymm didn't seem to have the kinds of faces that I wanted.

• Like 1