Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

Painting in the style of ......

Journey to Style:

So one of the things I want to work on this year Is developing a more personal style.  So I found an article on artistic style - and it had suggestions:

Study Art History

Experiment with different styles

Talk about Art

View other work of peers

Push yourself

Develop your story

Cross-study

Seek inspiration

Break rules 

• A lot of that I get here, but what I want to undertake is painting in different styles -
  • So I went back to my College Textbook - History of Art and Architecture by Gardner.  I went straight to the artists I have always favored - the 17th century & Baroque painters.   To push myself im going to try and paint minis in styles of various artists. start with a few and move forward in time. 
  • Here is my Current List: El Greco, Caravaggio, Diego Velacruz and (possibly) Rubbens.

It will expand once I try these out. 

What do  I have a lot of?   Bones Lizardmen - I can try 2 of each, and perhaps a human as well.

That will give me a familiar canvas to work on and highlight differences.  Plus it allows me to start immediately.  If I really like one of these styles, ill buy another bones giant or break out one of my metal figures. 

Has anyone else tried this kind of push?  I have a vague memory of someone else trying it here. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 11

That's awesome! I bet you're going to learn so many cool things! I need to check out Art History too, learn some of those famous artist names.... 

@Bathory was kicking butt last year creating her own style! She frequently talked about referencing art that inspired her on FB.

Another thing that was amusing to me, maybe only slightly relevant here: When I first learned about minis, I was absolutely shocked when I first saw a super detailed, painted mini. It was months after I bought my first mini, so I had developed this weird assumption that folks painted their minis like impressionists (I think? I didn't have the vocabulary at the time, hah) because I thought it was impossible to put so much detail in something so small. I'm particularly fond of @Pingo's minis because they look exactly like how I thought we were all supposed to paint them. ^_^

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

Has anyone else tried this kind of push?  I have a vague memory of someone else trying it here

I have not tried such a thing with Miniatures. But Pen and Ink is another story:

Recently, someone posted this:

2BE16C9F-3E52-46E5-B1E5-BA2EEECD6CA7.png.4c36cf92b3eccaf59c19a0a2832ce4c0.png

...in the Randomness thread. (I think?) Or, maybe it was a sculpting thread by... @Morihalda or @Sirithiliel ...

** ...pokes at memory... **

** ...memory glares back sullenly... **

Luckily, I was so inspired I had downloaded a copy of the pic to my phone. I intend to learn more about Bill Stout’s art. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

That's awesome! I bet you're going to learn so many cool things! I need to check out Art History too, learn some of those famous artist names.... 

I'm having some painting driven insomnia - 

Ill post what im going for with each artist, and a sample of their work .. or links in the case of Rubins - if I cant find any of his work with enough clothes, that still highlights his style 

• Like 5

Studying other artists is always a good way to get a feel for possibilities and what might resonate with your own interests and style.

I think this project sounds like a lot of fun. Gardner is a good place to start. Art museums and actual paintings to look at are invaluable, if you can get to them. If not, libraries are your friend. There are many excellent monographs and auction catalogues out there.

I do think there is a lot to learn from Rubens, especially in the development of luminous flesh tones. There is another advantage - He worked small, designing his pictures in miniature, which were then mostly painted up by apprentices. Find some of his studies and not only do you have works by his actual hand (instead of just designs rendered by others), but you can see how they work compact.

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

@Bathory was kicking butt last year creating her own style! She frequently talked about referencing art that inspired her on FB.

Another thing that was amusing to me, maybe only slightly relevant here: When I first learned about minis, I was absolutely shocked when I first saw a super detailed, painted mini. It was months after I bought my first mini, so I had developed this weird assumption that folks painted their minis like impressionists (I think? I didn't have the vocabulary at the time, hah) because I thought it was impossible to put so much detail in something so small. I'm particularly fond of @Pingo's minis because they look exactly like how I thought we were all supposed to paint them. ^_^

I’m pretty sure I’m flattered, thanks.

I like to think there is no “supposed to” about how we paint figures. The variety of possible approaches cheers me.

I have a great deal of respect and awe for the people who paint those smoothly transitioned, highly detailed miniatures, redolent of the old Academy. They show a discipline and focus that is inspiring.

I appreciate all sorts of approaches, from @buglips*the*goblin’s cheerful utilitarianism to @Kuro Cleanbrush‘s delicate precision. 

I do enjoy helping people work out particulars of color and approach for their own styles. There are so many ways to paint. I love how the same figure, unmodded, can look entirely different from different hands.

And, heh, I do have some hopes I can inspire people - not necessarily into taking up my style, but to be willing to experiment with different approaches and do the unexpected because it may turn out wonderful.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You have inspired me @Pingo.  You are one of the painters that link between mini painting and Fine Art, as you use a different set of paints from the rest of us, and have one of the most distinctive styles. You have an Art Degree right?     I have taken a class from  @Kuro Cleanbrush and have tried his smooth metal technique.  As much as I love looking at it, it is not a fun way to paint for me.   I am occasionally willing to try blending with 8+ steps between black and white but not on a 32mm sword. 

I need to check the @Guindyloo @buglips*the*goblin WIP thread -  I remember it having a lot of theory discussion. 

- of course, then I counted the color shifts on my current lizardman:   black, brilliant green,  BG/ pale green, pale green, PG/white, pale yellow, white.  See only 7! 

My Gardner's textbook was from my architecture degree, the first time through I skimmed the art and concentrated on the Architecture, now I'm reading it the other way.

I once went to the Louver museum waked around the outside to appreciate the building, then headed off to Notre Dame.  (The line/expense to get in may have also been factors) 

Also, I would love others takes on the artists im working on, I worried that I was missing crucial things on my first attempt mimicking colors while missing the point of the style for instance. 

Connecting to old artists is fascinating  - as people have been having to face the same issues of representing cloth/ metal / light and flesh with paint for hundreds of years and there have been very different solutions tried.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

El Greco 

my notes: Gardner, wikipedia, observations 

elongated limbs, pastel colors, no ultramarine (used mainly azure, yellows & browns )  pale almost white skin, 

"Illuminated from within"  to represent holiness,  balanced figure with background elements.  really good at details, but abandoned it for emotive painting. 

painted in bold blobs of color, but would spend hours blending them. 

willing to go all the way to black, especially to de-emphasize background details.  

elgreco.thumb.jpg.43bd68c33641d794767eb0b45c780c7b.jpg

first lizardman: 

painted in pastels, de-emphasized weapon and shield, highlighted with gold highlights, and then white.  

added gold highlights on browns to unify figure. 

its different than my normal painting - but it does not really say El Greco... 

I'm not particularly happy at this stage.

Greco_B.jpg.5f4ca13ca15be3ff9715ab017e869014.jpg

Greco_F.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10

15 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

I need to check the @Guindyloo @buglips*the*goblin WIP thread -  I remember it having a lot of theory discussion. 

Really neat idea, I wish you luck on your painting journey!

Our WIP threads are a little more difficult to find now, so here’s the link to the Thanis thread where we collected the links to all of them: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77710-guindyloo-and-buglips-paint-dhl-03100-thanis-the-bonecaller/&page=1

I’m not sure what help I would be on a traditional art to mini application, but please let me know if there’s anything that I touched on in my rambling through those WIPs that I can give further clarity on. 

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

El Greco also has a knack for making his people look illuminated by yellow-green OSL. And yes to very dark shadows--he was a high-contrast painter. (Caravaggio even more so!) You might also consider photographing against a dark background?

I love this project! A glorious idea; let's see how many different styles of lizardman we can make! (Though I'm pretty sure Ruebens is mammals exclusively.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rigel said:

El Greco also has a knack for making his people look illuminated by yellow-green OSL. And yes to very dark shadows--he was a high-contrast painter. (Caravaggio even more so!) You might also consider photographing against a dark background?

I love this project! A glorious idea; let's see how many different styles of lizardman we can make! (Though I'm pretty sure Ruebens is mammals exclusively.)

okay added more wash, then more brilliant green as a transition. 

I also did some sculpting for the archer version, cutting and adding green stuff wrist band to increase arm length 

- pictures later 

for Ruebens 

I was considering a Lizardman in rosy pink flesh tones, and they have pectorial muscles that could be suggestively shaded ... nothing to stop me but good taste.  

or I could just assemble and paint a Kingdom death miniature instead, that might be the path of least resistance.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Moving on to the second el greco (el Geko?)   mini

the archer is carved down to have thinner trunk and limbs.  there was some loss of scale detail, but I tried to carve the lower surfaces, which will mostly be deep black. 

however it wasnt enough.  the lizard man didn't look elongated, just less thick 

80538042_carvedarcher.jpg.062b7732e6f7cd983d4bc2c8c3e568ab.jpg

There.  the green stuff is mostly non-weight bearing, and now he just has leather braces on very long arms.  No I don't know how he is going to reach the arrows from this position, perhaps he is just waving a fist in the air.  the raised fist is pinned, the other is just sandwiched between attached bow and arm, I tried to keep the pressure off as it dried, but it still ended up compressing and becoming more bulky than intended.  

1840046650_elongatedlimbs.jpg.f9c7071a79477da7c359e1489868d7de.jpg

1180444671_grecoArcfront.jpg.0f0ec83b92385b86ee5e3a5924c1a50c.jpg

1678281299_grecoArcback.jpg.4aa775d71822d608a9d7bd4b650943b2.jpg

This one I am happier with.  now a picture of some of the revisions to the other one.  I'm not comfortable sculpting him, because both arms are carrying heavy objects,  and I don't trust my use of pins and greenstuff to provide enough support. 

grecoAgain.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

Given the picture you provided as refrence I would have started with one of the reaper angels instead of lizardmen. :poke:

To look more similar to the refrence style I would still push the shadows further, especially in the green. Furthermore, all the white highlights on the green (if they are not caused by the camera) would have a thin glaze of yellow. 

Maybe, to copy how the refrence has the extreme dark shadows away from the light source, I would paint the back of the lizardmen a lot darker, aproaching black.

Post Scriptum:  I am also a person inspired by Pingo's art. I looked at it and went "I want to paint similar to that", so that is what I tried to do. 

• Like 2