Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

Zest-it Brush Cleaner

I've been using this for a few months now as a temporary replacement for my Winsor & Newton brush cleaner/restorer.  This is long enough for me to be able to report that it works just as nicely to clean brushes, but is also a lot less harsh on the brushes themselves.  I thought it might be worth a mention because if anyone is looking for a brush cleaning solution this might be worth a try.  It's been doing wonders for my kolinskys without stripping the oils out like W&N brush cleaner can, and it seems like you can use it more often to keep the brushes tidy without worrying about damage from overdoing it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Nice. Thanks for posting about this. I added some to the R&Co cart for my next order. I've only used the W&N cleaner, but I don't use it often. The stuff definitely works, but it really can be rough on on nice brushes. Would be nice if Blick carried it.

• Like 2

I might have to give it a look, since at some point I'll be putting an order in with Rosemary & Co anyways, since I'm curious about their brushes... 

• Like 1

Did you order from the UK?  The W&N stuff always felt very harsh to me and I was hesitant to use it as often as I like.  Sounds like this should be given a good trial!  I know I have some brushes that are due for cleaning.

10 hours ago, Harrek said:

Did you order from the UK?  The W&N stuff always felt very harsh to me and I was hesitant to use it as often as I like.  Sounds like this should be given a good trial!  I know I have some brushes that are due for cleaning.

Yeah, I order from the UK a lot because my geographic position makes it about the same amount of effort as ordering from the US or even parts of Canada.  

• Like 2

Any thoughts on it compared to the Mastersons stuff?  Or Master's or whatever it is.  The beige plastic tin one that so many recommend. 

32 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Any thoughts on it compared to the Mastersons stuff?  Or Master's or whatever it is.  The beige plastic tin one that so many recommend. 

Haven't used that, so can't make a useful comparison.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The Master's your talking about is a soap, typically used every time you're done painting. Winsor and Newton Brush cleaner is more of a deep cleaning solvent for acrylics meant to remove dried paint that builds up over time, it's an occasional use thing. I don't know where the Zest stuff falls, but Buglips is using it in place of the Winsor and Newton, so probably an occasional use cleaner?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmorse said:

The Master's your talking about is a soap, typically used every time you're done painting. Winsor and Newton Brush cleaner is more of a deep cleaning solvent for acrylics meant to remove dried paint that builds up over time, it's an occasional use thing. I don't know where the Zest stuff falls, but Buglips is using it in place of the Winsor and Newton, so probably an occasional use cleaner?

Ahhh, didn't know such, hence why asking, so thanks for the info.

In other words, I'm going to need both....

How does Pink Soap rank on these? I've used it to tame my junker brushes a bit when I have them gooped through with primer. 

My normal use soaps are the Masterson's, and recently BrokenToad's soap. The BrokenToad soap is very gentle. 

• Like 1

I've only ever used pink soap, so can't rate against the others, but have never had any issues.  Pink soap is supposed to include a conditioner, and I frequently leave a coating of soap on the brush after the initial wash and rinse. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cmorse said:

Yes, more often than W&N but not every use like you can with brush soap.  Basically as soon as my bristles start sticking together I give them at least a quick swishing in zest-it, so about once a week.  I don't use brush soap, mainly because I keep forgetting to buy it.  While displaced I bought a surplus of brushes expecting to kill them quick, but when I got zest-it instead of W&N it didn't work out that way.  In fact, I've been using the same R&C 2/0 since September.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Yes, more often than W&N but not every use like you can with brush soap.  Basically as soon as my bristles start sticking together I give them at least a quick swishing in zest-it, so about once a week.  I don't use brush soap, mainly because I keep forgetting to buy it.  While displaced I bought a surplus of brushes expecting to kill them quick, but when I got zest-it instead of W&N it didn't work out that way.  In fact, I've been using the same R&C 2/0 since September.

Don't forget the natural goblin drool used to keep them clean ....  ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Harrek said:

goblin drool

You should certainly not lick the brush after using a harash cleaner (and the zest-it you are talking about certainly is harsh). If it disolves paint, it can probably disolve your gums, stomach lining or intestine lining.

The problem that I have with Zest-it as a whole is how they advertise themselves. Natural =/= safe unlike what they would like you to believe, and in the past (not sure if it has changed) they spread misinformation when "comparing" their solvent with OMS. They "compared" the NORMAL use of Zest-it solvent with the SPRAYING of OMS, it was such a suprise that Zest it required so much less precautions. It was almost as if they did not compare two products under the same conditions.

5 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

You should certainly not lick the brush after using a harash cleaner (and the zest-it you are talking about certainly is harsh). If it disolves paint, it can probably disolve your gums, stomach lining or intestine lining.

The problem that I have with Zest-it as a whole is how they advertise themselves. Natural =/= safe unlike what they would like you to believe, and in the past (not sure if it has changed) they spread misinformation when "comparing" their solvent with OMS. They "compared" the NORMAL use of Zest-it solvent with the SPRAYING of OMS, it was such a suprise that Zest it required so much less precautions. It was almost as if they did not compare two products under the same conditions.

I'll certainly treat it the same as my W&N cleaner.  Very carefully.  What I liked reading is that it wasn't nearly as harsh on the brush hairs and could be used more often.  That appeals to me if it lets me get more life out of the brushes when maintained well and cleaned.

• Like 1